Our growing menagerie

• jdnz
12 years 5 months ago #21608 by jdnz
Our growing menagerie was created by jdnz
Hi, I'm JD, hence the username jdnz. The J stands for Joanne and my cousin is Mr Tigger. I hail from the Waikato but the Manawatu is well and truly home now.

My partner and I moved to our 4 acre block in May 2009 with the plan to plant a few fruit trees and I also thought some nut trees would be nice. Also on the plan was planting part of the largest paddock in natives to encourage birdlife. We really love fantails so have called our property Piwakawaka Paradise...although it will be some time, and cost some money, before it's anything that visually represents paradise. However beauty is in the eye of the beholder and to me home is definitely where the heart is.

Since moving we have planted 2 lemon trees and 1 feijoa tree, no nut trees and no natives. However we have acquired a number of animals - that wasn't on the plan but it just happened and it wasn't until we started getting pets that we felt like really LSBers.

First of all we bought 2 Kune Kune sows on Trade Me. The breeder was moving into town and wanted to sell them quickly or they'd be off to the works. He delivered them after dark on winter evening and told us that they might be pregnant, probably due in August. He was a bit vague about the identity of the father...hmmmm. Anyway, we ended up with 15 beautiful piglets on the 13th and 14th of October (9 in one litter, 6 in the other) meaning that the boar had been in the with the sows on the day or a day or two prior to us buying them. So I suspect he definitely knew who the boar was...probably the younger sows father. I have since emailed him again asking that question and had no reply. Funny that. We lost one little piglet (very long story), sold 11 and kept 3. So that's how we ended up with 5 pigs.

Kindajojo saw my thread about looking for sheep and goats and offered 2 lovely coloured sheep and twin lambs for sale. So we now have 4 Wiltshire Dorper cross sheep who won't come anywhere near us unless we have a container of nuts for them.

I was having a little look at the Donkey and Mule Society website one day and noticed an ad "urgently need grazing for two donkeys near Palmerston North". As a result we have two lovely brown donkeys sharing our paddock with the sheep.

The girl who bought the donkeys down from Hamilton offered us her chooks as the family LSB had been sold. So we said "yes please". We then added to our chook collection with some ex-battery hens which lay well and like to come inside to eat cat food if we'll let them (no, we don't).

Just yesterday we collected 2 goats from a woman who bought one of our piglets. On the way home my partner said "that's it, no more animals" but within a couple of hours said "I like the goats...perhaps we should get some more one day" :-)

I have 2 aviaries now - one with canaries, finches and quail and one with a couple of lovebirds. And we have a few tropical fish but they're not as much fun as the donkeys, pigs and goats.

The thing I love most next to the animals is photographing the animals. I could spend hours in the paddocks sitting with them all snapping away. If only I could find a way of making money from that. My job is so interfering with my desire to stay home with the animals all day. For some reason the bank's really keen for us to pay back the money we used to buy our lifestyle block. Unreasonable if you ask me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #312928 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Our growing menagerie
Hi jdnz,

Your signature line got me thinking; what is a male donkey?
Of course a "jack" as in jackass. And for that matter a female is a "jenny" :D
Thanks to Google.

Looks like we have a way to go in terms of our animal collection.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
12 years 5 months ago #312973 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Our growing menagerie
Hi jdnz. Are the donkeys gelded? If not, I very strongly suggest you get that done, especially if you have children, grandchildren, or plan to. The younger they are done the better for everyone. What are their names, and do you have the registration numbers? Remember to keep young animals away from donkeys (and horses) at all times, until they know how to run quickly. They love playing football with lambs, kids, children, chick, piglets, calves. They form the soccer team and practice often. Then when a competitor arrives they toss a coin to work out which direction they want to play first ..... then use the competitor as the ball.

• jdnz
12 years 5 months ago #313006 by jdnz
Replied by jdnz on topic Our growing menagerie
Hi LongRidge,

The donkeys aren't ours, we just provide grazing for them, but yes they are gelded on don't share their paddock with any young animals. They have a toy ball and a rope they love to play tug-of-war with.

jdnz

More
12 years 5 months ago #313040 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Our growing menagerie
What a fantastic line up of animals! It is amazing how quickly they can accumulate when they find a good home.
What kind of quail do you have?

• jdnz
12 years 5 months ago #313058 by jdnz
Replied by jdnz on topic Our growing menagerie
Just Chinese Painted Quail. Only 4 hen birds now and no plans to get any cockbirds at this stage because they breed too easily. There can also be a bit of agression if there are females competing for a bloke. The girls still lay eggs, as do my female zebra finches but the only birds that I'm allowing/encouraging to breed are the lizard canaries - currently sitting on 4 eggs (hopefully fertile).

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds