Hi from Kiwibear153 (Huggiechook´s wife)

More
14 years 2 months ago #21307 by kiwibear153
Hi.
I am Huggiechook´s wife and thought I might as well get my own log in. We have 3 cats and lots of chickens. We try and grow our own veggies, some years more successfully than others. Things are very slow this year. We also have some apple trees and lots of varieties of berry bushes. We are really keen on getting bees too.

I do lots of home crafts, and wish we had a cow as I´m very keen on making our our own dairy products (like from the Home Creamery book). I´ve dabbled in soap making, organic cleaners and shampoos, and am going to try preserving and canning, as soon as our Veggie Garden complies by producing a surplus!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #309672 by kate
Hi kiwibear153 and welcome to lsb :D

It sounds as if you have your hands full with your home crafts, have you found a good soap making recipe?

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 2 months ago #309732 by LongRidge
With vegetable preserving, I strongly suggest you use that new-fangled method called freezing, or the older one called pickling. Canning and bottling of low-acid veges (ie, everything except tomatoes) requires lots of technical equipment and know-how to minimise the risk of the most poisonous poison known to humans. You can certainly do it without the equipment and the knowledge, but the consequence is death if you get it wrong, and with botulism you won't know that you've got it wrong until you (or someone else) are dead.

More
14 years 2 months ago #309735 by Huggiechook
Hello Kiwibear,

great to see you here - I will definitely be looking out for postings from you - if nothing else it may give me some advanced warning about new projects :D :D :D

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #309810 by Kiwi303
welcome... while LR is a bit alarmist, you do have to be careful preserving things if theres not a lot of sugar (jams) or vinegar (pickles) involved in the recipes. Unless you have, as a minimum, a pressure cooker I wouldn't do veges except as pickles and relishes and stick to jams and cooked pieces in syrup for the berries and fruits. Leave carrots and broccoli et al to the freezer.

You sound like a similar type as here, I've dabbled in this and that, and my family all do the same :P Our goats are now making a surplus over what we feed the calves, so it's almost time to start a new lot of Feta :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 2 months ago #309822 by reggit

Huggiechook;294225 wrote: if nothing else it may give me some advanced warning about new projects :D :D :D

Quick learner on LSB relationships [}:)][}:)][}:)] :D :D :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 2 months ago #309919 by kiwibear153
Thanks everyone. Mmmm, yes, I am a bit nervous about canning. But its something I´d like to learn. I have this fear that all this wonderful knowledge of how to do things that our grandparents had will die out unless our generation learn about it to pass it onto our grandkids. Also, our power cuts out several times a year, and we don´t have a generator, so the contents of our freezer has spoiled a few times (lots of $ lost there). We still use it of course, but I´m a bit wary of storing too much of value in there. Thanks for your advice though. I´ll have to get an expert to show me the canning steps.

Kate, no, no good soap recipes yet. But I do have plenty of really bad ones, still sitting unused in the cupboard! I´m going to have to spend an afternoon with a soapmaking friend and watch an expert in action I think.

Huggiechook ... look an eagle!

More
14 years 2 months ago #309987 by Huggiechook
Huhh? What? Where? :rolleyes:

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
14 years 2 months ago #310023 by NZ Appaloosas
KB153, canning's not that horrendous a thing...I remember canning with my mom, and the pots and pots of boiling water (probably why I can still stick my hands in water hotter than anyone else in my family--got scalded enough times as a kidlet!).

There are home "professional" canning 'cookers', I know I've seen them in the Asian Food Warehouse here in Christchurch, which are supposed to make canning a heck of a lot easier. Not too expensive either, from memory I want to say around the $100 mark, but definitely under the $200 mark.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 2 months ago #310073 by LongRidge
Canning is UNsafe something like 1 time in 10 million, or even less for acidy, salty or sugary food. But for foods that aren't these then it can be very risky. Unfortunately you don't know if it's can number 1, 10, 100, 1000 or whatever. Some things should be left to the professionals, and canning is one of these, in my opinion. Because of what I know, I wouldn't dream of bottling or canning pasta in tomato sauce at home. It would be just my luck that one of my bottles would cause the first case of botulism in NZ .... and it wouldn't be me that died. Not so bad if I did, but terrible if I killed someone else.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds