Always getting spotted!

More
12 years 7 months ago #21116 by NZ Appaloosas
Well, almost always. My husband and I breed appaloosas, he's Kiwi, I'm an import from the US, and our love of these spotted horses brought us together. We've a farm in North Canty, and are currently utilising AI to get half-import foals.

Hubby's grown up in rural settings, living/working on farms as well as having done the city-life thing. Altho' I didn't grow up on a farm myself, we were smack-dab in the middle of farming land (a group of half a dozen houses on acre+ lots surrounded by dairy and crop farms). Did the home garden thing growing up, used to get eggs and milk from the farmer at the bottom of the hill in exchange for helping him 'herd' his cows in for milking.

My parents grew up during the Great Depression, so we did the whole canning and freezing thing, until we started travelling and living abroad. NZ is the 5th other country I've lived in, but the one I felt most like I had come home...there are very strong reminders of my childhood area in North Canty, despite the mountains being a bit bigger than what was around then. Biggest things I miss from "back home" tend to be food items, good Mexican, apple cider, cheap cider vinegar, etc.

So, that's us in a nutshell.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #307577 by jerry leadbetter
Hi NZ Appa - I'm not American, but I lived in LA for a year when I was younger - I still miss Sam Adams beer, philly cheesesteak sandwiches and the awesome mexican food you bought from dodgy looking blokes in vans at midnight in very rough areas!

2.5 acres in the winterless north. 4 suffolk ewes, 1 wether tenant, one enormous Chocolate Lab and a nutty cat.

More
12 years 7 months ago #307595 by NZ Appaloosas
Oh did you have to mention philly cheesesteaks???? Not to mention the dodgy vans with italian sausage smothered in onions and peppers. I'll just have to make do with the Bisquick, Minute Rice, Red-Beans-N-Rice, and the candy corn I scoffed down that my friend brought over the middle of October. LOL

I was always an "East of the Mississip" girl...I guess I'm still an Eastern girl, as I'm on the east side of the divide here Funny you mention Sam Adams...I remember when that beer was introduced and basically only available in Boston/New England area.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
12 years 7 months ago #307620 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Always getting spotted!
Isn't apple cider in the US just apple juice? We visited a Cider House in Seattle and discovered that their "hard" cider was really sweet & still and quite low alcohol compared to the NZ or British type.
To make it this way you need to stop fermentation while the juice is still sweet by pasteurization.
Why don't you make your own? you just need a supply of apples (granny smith and breaburns are quite good) and a good whole apple juicer - and vessels.[;)][;)]

Cider Vinegar, same deal, buy a good quality bottle of organic unpasteurized cider vinegar, wait for the "mother" to grow in the bottle and then transfer into a 20litre of straight apple juice. In a month or so the "mother" will have replicated it self and the juice will be vinegar. :D

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 7 months ago #308223 by NZ Appaloosas
Well, yes and no...it's the fresh-pressed juice from apples, however, unlike apple juice you get in the store, it is not pasteurized and it is not clear. The colour is a very dark ruddy-golden hue, and it tastes different from apple juice. If you leave it sitting, it becomes 'hard cider', and then you stick in the freezer, get all the water content frozen out, drill a hole into the iceblock and drain out the apple jack...knock the socks off you, altho' I'm not sure of the exact alcohol content. Not sure how it goes to vinegar, as well, we always went the apple jack route! LOL

Don't make our own cuz we don't have a cider press, and I've not yet convinced hubby to make me one.

Diane

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds