The Good Life...kind of!

More
12 years 7 months ago #21107 by jerry leadbetter
Hello Everyone,

We are very new to this lifestyle / small farming lark but enjoying ourselves immensely.

I'm ex UK (thankfully!) and my wife is a born and bred Grey Lynn (Auckland) girl. We met in London and both worked and lived there for 6 years before coming back to NZ. We both worked in media, and continued to do so once in Auckland.

I landed a job at a media agency here and worked there before being enticed over to the dark side to work at the NZ Herald. After a couple of years there (and a baby boy who turned up in Jan 08) an opportunity arose, still within APN, to move north and take over one of our regional papers in Whangarei.

So, we started looking for a house. We had no intentions of buying land (although I really wanted an excuse to buy a ride on mower!) and looked in many different areas before finding a house we both loved. Attached to the house were 2.5 acres, a very cool 100 year old stone wall, and a ruralish (for us) location.

We've been on the land for about 4 months now, adding a baby girl whilst we're at it (8 weeks old now) and for the winter I was quite content to mow the lawn and paddocks, getting funny looks from neighbours who couldn't understand the appeal of "just having" that much land and not doing anything productive with it - try living in a 1 bed flat in London, a house in Auckland on a medium sized section (670m2) and then having 10,000m2 and see if just having land is fun enough for a while! - until now.

We've had for the last week our first stock, 6 suffolk sheep (4 first lamb ewes we will breed off and two wethers for the big chill house). Lessons are learnt every day - last night I learnt that 6 sheep will go through a 6 inch gap between two wooden posts and that I better do a quick bit of fencing repair!

My next learning curve is going to about pasture I think - too many weeds at present, and too much over growth! Chickens look to be the next thing on the tick sheet - but all in good time!

So, we're not quite Tom and Barbara yet, still clinging to vestiges of Jerry and Margot, but we're getting there!

This forum has been very useful in finding local people to talk to, and getting general advice - so keep it up!

If anyone is in the Whangarei area and fancies popping by at any time - just drop me a note and you can come meet the sheep and have a cuppa.

2.5 acres in the winterless north. 4 suffolk ewes, 1 wether tenant, one enormous Chocolate Lab and a nutty cat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #307556 by kate
Replied by kate on topic The Good Life...kind of!
So...you're the local media guy when we move huh? [}:)][}:)]

Congratulations on joining the ex-poms who discover land and change their lives. Just watch out because land is addictive :D

Web Goddess

More
12 years 7 months ago #307575 by jerry leadbetter

Kate;291761 wrote: So...you're the local media guy when we move huh? [}:)][}:)]

Congratulations on joining the ex-poms who discover land and change their lives. Just watch out because land is addictive :D

ummmm, kinda I guess. I'm not the editor (but do work very closely with him) so if you send me anything you hope to see in print I'll forward it on, but make no promises!

Someone told me recently I was meant to be in charge...

2.5 acres in the winterless north. 4 suffolk ewes, 1 wether tenant, one enormous Chocolate Lab and a nutty cat.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds