Stands shuffling her feet shyly...

More
12 years 7 months ago #21081 by chb
[8)] Hi there. New to here for posting but have often read. Figured it was time to 'fess up and take the plunge [;)]. Have a horse, several cows incl Highlands, a Highland bull, and some sheep, oh and the 2 (were 3) dogs! Cat died - so did bird ...

I'm hoping someone is able to answer my question :D Our 2 youngest (as in 6 week old) hand reared lambs have scaly ears. Looks like they've been sunburnt. I assume sheep can get sunburnt? If so, am I able to put anything on their ears at all? Live in Sth Canterbury so moisture in the form of rain is very foreign :p :rolleyes: (except for today). Also, when am I able to wean the older lambs? They're on one feed a day, have grown well and are (we think) 2.5 months old. Haven't done pets for a few years so have forgotten it all.

Thanks for your help.

1 Horse (The Prisoner), 4 black n whites, 1 dunno, 1 Highland Cow, No Bull, 6 henny pennys, 1 lab, and the partridge has flown the coop :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #307291 by reggit
Welcome, chb :) our lambs seem to get this about the same age, I panicked the first time I saw it (the edges of their ears were also curling up a la The Flying Nun [:0]) but it seems to sort itself out over time. Every batch since have also had this, and we just leave it to disappear as they get a bit older...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
12 years 7 months ago #307315 by Leeanne
HI wean lambs around 3months don't forget to vac them if not done!!

More
12 years 7 months ago #307318 by kate
Thanks for 'de-lurking' and good luck with the lambs :D :D

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
12 years 7 months ago #308089 by LongRidge
I think that the dermititis on lambs ears might be caused by a fungus infection. I give our lambs that have it a spray with PVP Iodine, which seems to help. Be very certain that it is not Scabby Mouth/Orf, because that is transmissible to humans and is very painful.

More
12 years 6 months ago #308209 by Jen - Featherston
Welcome!

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds