The other Ronnie

More
12 years 6 months ago #21078 by ronnie
The other Ronnie was created by ronnie
We moved here, onto our wee block 7 and a half years ago. OH is a complete townie, I have had varying experience in the farming world since spending most school holidays of my youth with various farming rellies.
We bought this property particularly to raise calves on - the dairy cross variety. We did this for several years whilst both of us worked in day jobs to support our visions.
I have always been involved in craft of some type. Whilst doing my day job (re-stocking business lolly boxes) I came across a person who made sheepskin moccasin slippers. I offered to sell these on his behalf at our craft markets. This turned out very successfully, until my friend's father got a bit too old to be bothered. We then offered to take over the making of the slippers when he felt he was ready to give up. That took a while. But one day, out of the blue, I got a call to say his dad was ready to pass on his craft. That was 5 and a half years ago.
When I got the patterns home, I discovered the patterns for the kids slippers. I was working in the fashion industry at this time, working with possum fur and we had a lot of scrap. My brain put 2 + 2 together and we came up with possum slippers for wee kids. On the first day we offered these for sale, the overwhelming comments were "they are gorgeous, so where are the adult version"
So I developed my range of possum slippers for adults as well.
About a year later, our accountant advised us to give up the farming side of the business and concentrate on the slippers.
We have slowly been doing this to the stage our lifestyle block is now on the market and we are hoping to move closer to where our best market for slippers is - Queenstown.
We have enjoyed being on the land and shall miss the animals. But it has just got too hard over the past few years trying to manage both. Plus OH being gored and myself just avoiding being gored by a rampaging heifer has not helped much - I am now very, very wary of the cattle - and these are my babies I hand reared.

It feels very much like one chapter of our lives is about to close, and another one to begin. A bit like when we moved here - all exciting and new and looking forward to each new challenge.

I have enjoyed my long association with LSB. I have met several fellow members and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I hope to continue meeting more of you in the future.

Whatever our future holds for us, I think (hope) we are ready for it..........

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #307309 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic The other Ronnie
Jan, I hope you will have time in your future life to come on here sometimes to remind us that we need possum inners, slippers or whatever!

More
12 years 6 months ago #307310 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic The other Ronnie

jeannielea;291483 wrote: Jan, I hope you will have time in your future life to come on here sometimes to remind us that we need possum inners, slippers or whatever!

I'm sure I will jeannielea - am far too addicted to this site to give it up [:0] :D [;)]

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds