Mosaics

• Toni - Northland
14 years 10 months ago #731 by Toni - Northland
Mosaics was created by Toni - Northland
Has anyone here done Mosaics??? I have two wooden cable reels here, not the big ones, but they are about knee high. We put the power cable up to the house site and these were left behind. I want to make outdoor tables with them. What do I do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #49695 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Mosaics
get a STRONG glue such as ados gel or gorrilla glue, a bunch of seconds tiles in assorted colours. place tiles face down on a old foam mattress or a boggy patch of soil that will cushion the blows, and hammer the back with a rubber mallet until they are all in bits the size you want. collect them all into buckets sorted by colour and use a heavy builders pencel or vivid to draw patterns on the cable real tops.

Spread glue on areas no bigger than 6" x 6" at a time and glue colours down, do one colour at a time filling it's designated portion of the design before moving to the next colour and the next design portion. Much like a "Colour-by-Numbers" drawing. Fit them as close as possible and chose its to interlock with the neigbouring pieces. Once finished use a commercial grouting compound to fill the gaps.

the idea of using a ruber mallet and a soft surface is to cause the tiles to split, a hard hammer on concrete is more likely to cause the tiles to chip, shatter and turn to dust :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

• Toni - Northland
14 years 10 months ago #49698 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Mosaics
Thanks Kiwi, I was wondering how close you put them. Now, to look out for the tiles.

More
14 years 10 months ago #49730 by hairyhholmes
Replied by hairyhholmes on topic Mosaics
Also put the striaght edges of the tiles around the outside edges of each colour, that way you get good defined lines, you can leave whatever size gap you like, it makes no difference, and dont forget you can get different coloured grout.

More
14 years 10 months ago #49734 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Mosaics
You can actually get proper stuff for sticking tiles down, get the outdoor stuff. It will need to be sealed as well to stop the weather getting into it. Make sure the tiles are all the same thickness or you will have sharp bits sticking up and the surface will be uneven. Even then it's an idea to use something like a level to make sure all the pieces are at the same height, ie, the same thickness of tile glue underneath. You can either spread the glue onto a small area or spatula it on to the back of the tile.
There are different coloured grouts as well. H.P knows about this stuff, he teaches it. I'm not sure if he took his computer home from the gallery today but I'll e-mail him and he can fill you in on anything we've left out. The smaller the bits of tile, the more patience you need. [}:)]:D

Yakut

More
14 years 10 months ago #49803 by The Kats Place
Replied by The Kats Place on topic Mosaics
I would seal the surface you are going to put the on first then use the proper stuff to stick them down (gripfix - about $8 a kg pot and goes a long way as you mix it with water).
When you break up the tile rap in an old towel and tap the back with hammer - if you hit the front you can splinter the glase. You can get a nipper/plier type tool to nibble corners off and shape bits to fit.
Put the fixative on the back of the tile rather than the surface you are tiling. You get a minute or so when you can position the tile. I like the gap about half a cm. You can get a sand stone type thing to rub off any rough edges. I like the finished product smooth when you run your had over it. Do you have a fax number? I can send you some good info. Also outdoor grout and seal the finished artical. If you go throught the 'odd's' box at the tile shop you can find some bargins. go for the same thickness, I never pay more than $1 for tiles.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

• Toni - Northland
14 years 10 months ago #49804 by Toni - Northland
Kats, thanks. I will email my fax number to Kate to pass onto you if that's ok. Don't like to put my contact details on here.

More
14 years 10 months ago #49811 by The Kats Place
Just found a book - which I am finished with - that explains it all, email me address and I'll stick it in the post. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Watch you don't get hooked on the hobby - its a great time waster!

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

• Toni - Northland
14 years 10 months ago #49917 by Toni - Northland
Thanks Kats, the book arrived today and I can't wait now to get started. The book is beautiful.

More
14 years 10 months ago #49922 by The Kats Place
My pleasure

kats

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds