Clay work

More
14 years 10 months ago #717 by belinda_h
Clay work was created by belinda_h
Anyone here do clay things? I've jsut started at the local arts centre. Wanted to try the pottery wheel but there wasn't anyone available to show me, so the two ladies who were there took over and taught me some basics. So tomorrow I head off to (hopefully) take my first salad platter thing out of its mould and tidy it up ready for firing. Then I can start thinking about glazing it. They have this wonderful roller machine that makes big slabs of clay, that you can then put in a mould to make plates, platters, bowls etc. Its a good start but I still really want to try the wheel (and probably make a HUGE mess).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #49541 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Clay work
How did it go belinda h? Taking the mold off something is like opening a present.... in an aprehensive kind of way. It would be nail biting if your hands weren't busy taking the mold off.
You could, while it's being fired, have a look at other peoples finished work and check out the different colours and see what they're going to do when they've been fired. The colours can change from what they look like when they're wet. H.P has a colour in the studio that looks purple in the jar but once it's been fired it's actually a very dark blue. Cobalt I think.

Happy clay working
Yakut

More
14 years 10 months ago #49551 by belinda_h
Replied by belinda_h on topic Clay work
It came out of the mould really well. Looks a bit . . . rustic, but it was my first go. I had clay left so today had a go at a deep round bowl (not sure how that will work, the clay kept trying to fold over itself) and a little plate (also a little dubious). So now I have to wait for the first firing, which could be a couple of weeks or more, so there's plenty of time to think about glazing and decorating. If all three work (ie don't shatter or something similar) then I'll have a summer dining set - serving platter, salad bowl and antipasto plate. Here's hoping!

More
14 years 10 months ago #49555 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Clay work
I have about 50kg of clay sitting in a dark cupboard awaiting my return to the wheel which has been sitting in a corner of my living room for over three years, since I last threw a pot. I went to a pottery class where the tutor showed us hw to work clay and make things in moulds and so on and on one afternoon she showed those of us who wanted to try it, how to do wheel work. The wheel at the art centre (which was subsequently burnt down by the Kaitaia arsonist a couple of years ago and the pottery group has disbanded as an eventual result) had a tiny wobble, so I ended up working mostly at home on the borrowed wheel I'm still borrowing. Every now and then I'd take a box of dry work in to the kiln to a mixed reaction - half of them were terribly complimentary and the others (tongue in cheek, I think) enviously disparaging of my immediate and obvious talent. So, persist and give it a go, you just never know when you might uncover an ability you didn't know you had! :)
The trick is in centring the clay on the wheel for which a reasonable amount of inward pressure of both hands is required - don't do anything to it until it's running true and if you believe it will all turn to a big mess, you'll probably prove yourself right; but there's no satisfaction in that!

More
14 years 10 months ago #49758 by tussock
Replied by tussock on topic Clay work
Hi Belinda I to have started pottery after 15 years ,I have brought a realy good book called
Thrown pottery Techniques reveald
by MaryChappelhow
The secret of throwing shown in unique cutaway photography very help full.
Brought it on line Amozon took about 3 weeks feom usa .I think it cost about $41.00
hope this helps
Cheers Tussock

six sheep two pigs and a dog ,six chooks

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds