Cast Glass photos

More
15 years 1 day ago #570 by Ghilly
Cast Glass photos was created by Ghilly
Ok, so I finally got some photos. As you can see, the colour changes under different light. It's not easy to photograph and get the detail. I still haven't got the plaster out yet but that is one of those jobs for a long wet afternoon when I haven't got anything else to do. I also have to wait until Kim has gone out so I can sneak the dental pick [}:)] eh eh eh.....
If you see me flying over your place, you'll know Kim has read this and has booted me up the backside eh eh eh.

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 day ago #47130 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Cast Glass photos
Wow Yakut that is absolutely amazing :D Congratulations...

How big is it?

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
15 years 22 hours ago #47139 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic Cast Glass photos
Stunning, you are very clever/

More
15 years 22 hours ago #47143 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Cast Glass photos
[:0] OMGoodness what talent!

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
15 years 21 hours ago #47147 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Cast Glass photos
Wow, that is amazing! Congratulations - you must be thrilled with that result. Gosh, amazing!!!

More
15 years 20 hours ago #47151 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Cast Glass photos
Why thankyou [:I]:D
She is 15 cms high and 20cms from the edge of the neck to the nose.
I was aiming for something smaller but it didn't happen that way.
I kept adding wax to get the right shape. I should have been taking wax away but never mind. The glass really changes colour in different lights. It can look really intense and orange or a very washed out light orange, almost lemony.

I had to pick the glass colour over the phone and I didn't have a chart but Apricot had been on the top of my list. I wanted to pick other colours as well but without the tutor on hand I was reluctant to be that brave. There are a couple of colours that really do change under fluroescent light and go lime green and one of them was on my list so I was glad I didn't.

The actual casting part is quite scary. Every tiny little part of the wax has to be covered in a silica/plaster mix. Getting the mix up under the ears was hard. The mix starts off like paint and rather quickly turns to a slurry, then a thick paste as it hardens.
Any air bubbles will leave a space for the glass to melt into. I had a couple of 'earings' between the neck and ears that had to be dremelled off. Then the whole thing, once it's hardened (in about 15 to 30 minutes) gets put over a steam hose and all the wax melts out.
Any remaining wax has to be removed, which is hard when you can't see it and don't know it's there. Boiling water is poured in and you watch for tell tale blobs of melted wax to come floating up. Fortunately H.P found a great glob of unmelted wax in the bottom of the curved ear and with a lot of work with a couple of bamboo scewers we got it out and managed to produce no more floating blobs with the boiling water.
Then there is a water displacement thing where water is tipped in to the level you need, tipped out and the glass is measured into the water jug and then put into the resesvour (this was created using a big blob of clay at her neck and dug out once the plaster mix had gone hard.) Once the glass is in, it goes into the kiln for days!
It has to cool down very slowly so the glass doesn't crack.
The next job is to remove the cast... very... very slowly. The residual glass in the resevour is tissue paper thin... thinner in fact and very sharp. I got bitten once by it so I was lucky. Initiated into the cast glass class without serious damage. ;)

Once the plaster is off, she goes into a bowl of water with a sponge mat and the base edges filed so they aren't razor sharp then a gentle scrub with a toothbrush and finally the 'tags' are dremelled off.
Now it's just a matter of picking at the remaining plaster in the nooks and crannies.

It was great fun but very hard watching four weeks of wax work dribble out into a tray of water. So many things can go wrong in the casting, air bubbles, not enough glass measured out, cracks, leftover wax messing up the glass.... After 20 years, our tutor says she still has disasters.

Thankyou for all your kind comments. I'm off to paint some claywork as soon as my chores are done and my eyes have opened properly.

Yakut

More
15 years 14 hours ago #47172 by digby
Replied by digby on topic Cast Glass photos
wow

Bye
Digby [:)]

More
15 years 10 hours ago #47188 by railview
Replied by railview on topic Cast Glass photos
Brilliant ! Such details.

More
14 years 11 months ago #47498 by Jen - Featherston
Replied by Jen - Featherston on topic Cast Glass photos
wow this is amazing, you are very talented!

I don't think I could do anything this detailed!

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
14 years 11 months ago #47567 by Ghilly
Thanks [8)]
Don't let Harry Potter hear you say you couldn't do it. He'd argue the point and shove some clay or something in your hand. You can do more than you think.!!!
The texture on the goat is from a fine jigsaw blade :D.

Yakut

More
14 years 11 months ago #47700 by Cate
Replied by Cate on topic Cast Glass photos
That is fantastic, what is the next project?

Cate

More
14 years 11 months ago #47792 by Ghilly
At the moment I'm painting a pastille. It's an ornament of an outhouse made of clay and it's used for burning incense cones.

It's been fired and now I just have to finish painting it, then it goes in for glazing and firing. I also have one of a Thermette which I haven't started painting yet.
If the power hadn't have gone out last night I might have got a bit more done on it, maybe even finished it!
The next thing after that is painting a praying mantis which I don't want glazed so it will have a dull finish. That should be straight forward, just green and brown. It's a preying mantis, wearing a cloak and praying on it's knees. A sort of physical play on words if you will.

The whole thing is quite theraputic in a way, you can get quite caught up in it, total focus. All of a sudden it's hours later, you suddenly realise you're cold and hungry and going slightly crosseyed.

I asked Harry Potter if it usually takes so long to paint these things. He just smiled and said no. Eh eh eh. I get a bit lost in detail.

The last one finished was a pastille of a tree trunk house. I made a tiny pair of boots at the door after failing to make a tiny gnome on its knees weeding. The clay went all soft, too soft and I no sooner formed the arms and was trying to work some legs and the arms squashed into the body, then the legs sort of squished off while I was trying to mend the arms.... I decided the gnome had gone inside for a cup of dandelion tea or whatever it is that gnomes drink and left the dirty boots at the door.

The best bit is lighting the incense cone and watching the smoke come out the chimney.
The outhouse doesn't have a chimney, it has a corrugated iron roof with a couple of holes in the roof and a possum poking out of one of the holes, along with a tree branch that's grown through a join in one of the sheets of iron. It also has a cresent moon shape cut out of the door and a gap under the door. Should be interesting to see where the smoke escapes from.

The thermette is just that. A thermette with sticks poking out the top and a hole in the spout. I just hope I haven't filled up the hole with too many sticks. The spout hole is quite tiny. I'm not sure if that one will work as well. I reckon I might have another crack at the thermette idea and this time use a toilet roll or something to form the cylinder. Mind you, this one looks like it's been well used, fairly battered actually. It's hard to get wet clay to hold it's shape when you're trying to form a hollow cylinder. I used newspaper to stop it collapsing. It's amazing what the newspaper looks like when it's been through the kiln, you'd think it would just go poof and turn to dust.... well it goes poof alright but it goes quite brittle. Weird!

Yakut

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds