Crafting with broken tiles??

More
16 years 8 months ago #476 by lady yank
I live near a tile store. They discard the most beautiful tiles. Some have only a very small chip on one corner. Some are not damaged at all, they are discarded to make way for new styles coming in. Anyway, I am wondering what I can make with these tiles. They come in all sizes ( 1 inch squares up to 18 by 18 inches). They are a mix of ceramic, slate, marble, granite, etc. They are beautiful, but I can't come up with a single idea. Suggestions, anyone?

Don't make me release the flying monkeys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #45558 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Crafting with broken tiles??
You could break them up and make mosaics out of them. Have seen a huge range of stuff made that way.

e.g - mirror surrounds, letterboxes, stepping stones for the garden, just to name a few.

I'm sure there will be someone who does this come along and have some more info for you.

Good luck and have some fun with them.

cheers
Jan

More
16 years 8 months ago #45564 by Celtic_Kiwi
I have tiles to make a mosaic front and back door thing.

I was thinking of making a mould (4 bits of wood into a square with a bottom) Place the pieces face down and pour concrete over them. I haven't looked deeply into it yet.

I don't know what I would do though if I just wanted concrete ground, just push them in and grout them maybe???

Celtic_Kiwi
AKA Nikki

Tir Na NOg

More
16 years 8 months ago #45754 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Crafting with broken tiles??
Garden edges - you could put them in the ground with one of the points down deepest (diamond shaped if you get what I mean). At an old villa I saw owner found original brick tiles & that's how they had been done.

Could look really good with the different ones. Also, you could hide the chips etc in the ground.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
16 years 8 months ago #45766 by lady yank
Thanks for the ideas. I now have 2 dozen perfect tiles in assorted colors sitting on my patio just waiting for me to get to work.

More
16 years 8 months ago #45917 by Jen - Featherston
could you make trivits from them? you know what you rest your hot pots on or hot caserole dishes on to save the bench or table? If you are doing mosaic then preferable to have the tiles the same thickness - you lucky thing getting them free!

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
16 years 8 months ago #46139 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Crafting with broken tiles??
If you're going to use them in a mosaic or even just as they are, you'll need to watch the thickness of the tiles. Some maybe thicker than others. I guess this only matters if you're going to stick them onto a hard surface.
I made a mosaic of a Kakapo (NZ native parrot). It was done on a concrete slab so I had to watch the thickness of the glass and tiles I used. If I used different thicknessess, the thicker ones would stand out and when it came to grouting, things could get a bit 'edgey'. Use something level, like a ruler or anything with a flat edge to make sure all your tiles are the same height or when it comes to rubbing back the grout, the surface will be uneven and could cut your fingers.

It's also important to use the right sort of 'glue' there is inside and outside stuff and if the work is going outside it will need to have a treatment of (I can't remember what) over the finished article or the weather will take its toll.

Patience is a virtue if you're using small pieces ;).

Yakut

More
16 years 8 months ago #46140 by lady yank
thanks for the advice, yakut. looks like i have my work cut out for me!!

More
16 years 8 months ago #46256 by Desert Rat
If you've got tiles or fragments of varying thickness and you're doing a "portable" piece, cast it upside down so that all the faces are in the same plane. We've got a couple of really nice stepping stones that were done this way by a friend of the family.

First rule of holes: When you're in one, stop digging.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds