Instead of plastic bags

More
4 years 8 months ago #536313 by jeannielea
For a while its bothered me that I was being diligent about refusing plastic bags but that at the vege section of the supermarket I was using them. So when I saw a small lightweight cloth at our church fair I realised I had the answer. So from about a 150cm square I got 3 bags about normal vege size and 2 smaller ones. The cloth was overlocked so that made it even easier. I turned over the tops so I could put a drawstring through and they work fine. I open the ends at the checkout and no-one has commented so its all good. took less than an hour and I hate to say it but I feel SO virtuous when I use them!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PiwakawakaValley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #536335 by ZummersetGirl
Good on you jeannielea. The plastic problem has concerned me for some time so I have some little net bags that I use when I go to the local Bin inn store and I use them for the fruit and veggies. I am going to get some calico bags for fine items like flor and sugar as I find they fall out of the net bags. I am making a conscious effort not to buy items wrapped in plastic but it is impossible to buy cheese or veggie sausages not wrapped in plastic. Short of turning vegan does anybody have any suggestions?

More
4 years 7 months ago #536340 by Wren
Replied by Wren on topic Instead of plastic bags

ZummersetGirl wrote: ....but it is impossible to buy cheese or veggie sausages not wrapped in plastic. Short of turning vegan does anybody have any suggestions?

I have been thinking about how to get plastic-free cheese recently too. My only thought was to go to a cheese monger or deli where they cut however much you want (if there is such a place near you?) and to take one of those bees wax wrap things and ask them to use that instead of plastic to wrap it.

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

More
4 years 7 months ago #536341 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Instead of plastic bags
New World have net bags for veges too but they aren't cheap. If you have a Farmer's Market with a cheese vendor (as we do in Masterton) they cut what you need so you could use the beeswax or calico bag there. There is still a problem with biscuits etc but if everyone starts to do what and where we can things may change.

• sandgrubber
4 years 7 months ago #536346 by sandgrubber
Replied by sandgrubber on topic Instead of plastic bags
Where I have problems getting away from plastics is poo bags for when I walk the dogs. I guess most here live sufficiently far from town that there's no problem... I have a huge block in a small town and dog walks are daily. Anyone have a solution for that one?

More
4 years 7 months ago #536348 by ZummersetGirl
I think l would have to travel to Wellington to get non plastic packed cheese. I might have to start making my own - something else to add to my to do list. Next question is where I can get enough milk to make my own cheese short of buying a cow - not enough land for that though.

More
4 years 7 months ago #536531 by Baroque
I'm looking at making up shopping bags from old Teeshirts.

You can either sew up the bottom with a double seam [easy for me with an industrial walking foot machine] and cut away the sleeves and neck a bit so you have handles.

For no sew bags I saw a nifty technique on youtube and elsewhere where you cut the bottom into vertical slits about 50mm wide and then tie those with an overlap to the next lot of ties. If that makes sense.. if it doesn't make sense google it. ;)

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #536538 by spoook
I know exactly what you mean, I have some old vests to do the very thing with.(vests make longer handles ;) )

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by spoook.

More
4 years 6 months ago #537093 by PiwakawakaValley
That is a really great idea!
My mother in law gave us re-usable produce bags made from old net curtains today. Genius!

More
4 years 6 months ago #537094 by spoook
Great idea, old net curtains. I have been using a string bag, net curtaining would better.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
4 years 6 months ago #537097 by neil postie
Replied by neil postie on topic Instead of plastic bags
worth a read before we make the wrong choice
i.stuff.co.nz/business/96890019/are-cott...-better-than-plastic

More
4 years 6 months ago #537198 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Instead of plastic bags
Interesting article but just as interesting is that almost everyone who has contributed to this post are using recycled cloth for their bags, So for me this means it covers the usage problem and the big plus is being biodegradable so they won't end up in landfill for many years or contribute to marine garbage. I 'll be sticking with what I've got I think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: neil postie

More
4 years 6 months ago #537223 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Instead of plastic bags
Yes, a very interesting article, but it comes from a point of view that at the moment you have a choice about whether to use a recycled bag or a plastic one. How many times have you got to the supermarket and realised you have left the bags at home and take the plastic bags "just this once" When Countdown and New World stop supplying plastic bags then we will HAVE to use our own bags and the number of uses per bag will go up and make them more environmental friendly. My only reservation is what I will use for a bin liner once the supermarket bags are no longer supplied.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
4 years 6 months ago #537294 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Instead of plastic bags

Anakei wrote: My only reservation is what I will use for a bin liner once the supermarket bags are no longer supplied.

Then I guess you go back to wrapping wet waste in newspaper and washing the bin out when it needs it.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
4 years 6 months ago #537303 by gina.t
Replied by gina.t on topic Instead of plastic bags
I buy these to use as bin liners. They are made from corn starch and you can compost them in your home compost as well as feel good knowing they will break down in landfill. I get them from pak'n'save and they are about $4 for 20. Think there are different sizes available too.

ecobags.co.nz/product/ed-2027-compostable-27l/

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds