Soap making

More
6 years 1 month ago #522068 by hksts
Soap making was created by hksts
Hi, I was wondering, is anyone here making soap out of tallow/lard?
I would like to try and read quite a bit on the internet. It seems I need to buy a crockpot for it, but I have no idea what size? 3.5l or 6.5l?
Probably the bigger the better? Or are there disadvantages if I buy one too large?
Would be great if somebody can give me some advice.
Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #522078 by FrozenThunderbolt
Replied by FrozenThunderbolt on topic Soap making
No need for a crockpot. hot process works fine as is so long as you put your molds in an insulated container after mixing and pouring.
I use the sacred mountain sage lye calculator, mix initially with a wooden spoon, and then with an electric egg beater on a low setting.
Rendered my own fat from sheep.

4.79HA of volcanic soil (1/3 hill to be planted in deciduous forest someday), brewing, orcharding, gardening, blacksmithing, 2 Dexters, chooks and ducks to come + a bit of everything else.

More
6 years 1 month ago #522089 by hksts
Replied by hksts on topic Soap making
Thanks FrozenThunderbolt. But I don't really understand how you go about it - remember I never made soap. Do you use a normal pot? The thing is that I have an induction cooktop and my old pots don't work on that, so can't use them. :unsure:

More
6 years 1 month ago #522094 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Soap making
Your old pots are copper or nonferrous?

Induction cookers basicly use magnetic flux to heat up iron, so if you have copper pots you can have an engineering firm cut some scrap iron plate and put them over the induction top. Induction flux heats the iron which heats the copper. It's not as efficient as iron pots, but it works.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
6 years 1 month ago #522097 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Soap making
Cant help you with the soap making but I think its worth keeping a pot just for that. Check out your local supermarket for a cheapy. They are usually good for induction cookers - there is a mark on the bottom of the saucepan.. I had the same problem in a house I rented in Oz. I went to the local supermarket and bought a whole set of saucepans for about $20 that worked perfectly.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
5 years 9 months ago #526117 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic Soap making
I know this topic was mentioned a long time ago now but I have been making soap for nearly 3 years now. I don't use tallow or lard but have done in the past, makes good soap, just prefer to use veg oils. You can either do cold process soap where no heat is used and make in a bucket or hot process whereby you do need some sort of heat source like a crockpot to fast track the gelling process as you 'cook' the soap. Advantage being you can use the soap pretty much straight away. Cold process the soap needs to saponify and cure for 4-6 weeks. Heaps of tutorials online anyway, but feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds