Just for fun

More
10 years 3 months ago #36519 by Ruth
Just for fun was created by Ruth
We hadn't made any of these for years, but someone requested some the other day for a Christmas present:

It took me a little while to work out the best hat pattern, since I had no idea where I might have lost the last one I wrote down - and then I was knitting back and forth on two needles, not around on four, anyway.

They were fun to make. I might do some more for more presents. :D

Attached files
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #476127 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Just for fun
Cute as. Shame no one here eats egg in an egg cup, as I'd do some cute ones too.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 3 months ago #476129 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Just for fun
I would love someone to teach me how to knit, you are so talented

More
10 years 3 months ago #476133 by Deanna

kai;479308 wrote: I would love someone to teach me how to knit, you are so talented

Find out if there is a group in your area, they would love to teach you. Knitters are lovely the world over. [^]

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 3 months ago #476136 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Just for fun
I learnt mostly from a book! My mother showed me for half an hour when I was six, then left me to it. It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I picked it up again and got frustrated, then saw how someone else held their needles differently and took off. Only very recently did I work out how to do short-needle knitting. I love it. It's quietly therapeutic while being extremely useful.

Come for a knitting holiday!

More
10 years 3 months ago #476179 by stephclark
Replied by stephclark on topic Just for fun
they are realy cute Ruth...

I am a knitter too and, like you, didn't get taught as a child.. I started in my 20's ( great way to achieve something whilst watching 5 day test cricket! )
a lovely lady in a wool shop showed me the basics and off I went..

my mum didn't knit.. she was a tatter and lace maker.. far too fiddly forme

More
10 years 3 months ago #476183 by Ruth
Next project: novelty knitted condoms, for when your partner's giving you more than just the cold shoulder. [}:)]:D:D:D:D

More
10 years 3 months ago #476188 by Deanna
Choke! Splutter!

More
10 years 3 months ago #476191 by Ruth
I can't decide whether or not they should have pompoms on them though.

More
10 years 3 months ago #476203 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Just for fun
I can knit, learnt from an early age from both Nana and Mum. However I'm a leftie and they are/were right handers so it was difficult all round. I still have to tuck the needles under my armpits, never learned how to hold them independently, but I got by.

(so if you are at the superclinic in Manukau and pick up a ''backwards'' part knitted square for their blanket project in the waiting room, it was me who started that one off ). :D

More
10 years 3 months ago #476206 by Ruth
I only worked out the needle holding when showing some kids how to knit this year. There was something about holding the needles up and out for them to see what I was doing, which led me to do it differently. Part of it was being more relaxed/confident in the knitting not falling off, I think. It was one of those magic moments of enlightenment it is difficult to explain or describe.

More
10 years 3 months ago #476211 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Just for fun
Those are so cute! I am planning on learning to knit someday. I saw a crocheted toddlers dress a couple of years ago that I wanted for my daughter but couldn't afford, so I got on the internet and taught myself crochet. I find it very relaxing in the evening watching tv and making things, dresses for my girl mostly. But one day I would like to learn knitting too, I see lots of lovely patterns I would like to make, but then I see a new crochet stitch and I am off exploring that. I just adapted the bodice of a dress I was making to be Tunisian crochet done in the round - which was quite an achievement for me!

More
10 years 2 months ago #476267 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Just for fun
I sometimes wonder about the way your mind works Ruth. I vote yes for pompoms.

More
10 years 2 months ago #476277 by Ruth
I've got into all sorts of trouble already today!

More
10 years 2 months ago #476286 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Just for fun
You mean you can still get into trouble even if you use condoms?!

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds