Cleaning and carding sheep's wool

More
8 years 8 months ago #36301 by 2D
Hello. Please can anyone advise where I can get a sheep's fleece cleaned and carded? I have a number of fleeces up in the shed which have never had anything done with them and I want to learn to spin.
Anybody advise how to tell a good fleece from a poor one?
Any advice will be gratefully received.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #473893 by Megan
These two have come off the Creative Fibre website, www.creativefibre.org.nz , but there may be others.

Jumbuck Carding - Sharon & Warren Dooney

177 Pinchgut Road, R D 3, Kaukapakapa 1250
Phone 09 420 3342 Mobile 021 1158 903
Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Carding

Kinrob Carding

Kinrob Black & Coloured Sheep
Helen Kinsella
Purua, R D 6, Whangarei
Phone 09 433 5765 Fax 09 433 5776
Merino, Polwarth, Romney, Perendale
Fudge brown, Moorit, Fawn, Blacks, Grey Spotted.
Fleece washing, Fleece carded.
Carded sliver, Greasy fleece.
Mail order.
Visitors Welcome Tuesdays, 9am-3pm or by arrangement.

Megan

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
8 years 8 months ago #473896 by 2D
Many thanks, Megan. I shall check these out.

More
8 years 8 months ago #473946 by morioka

2D;476812 wrote: Hello.
Anybody advise how to tell a good fleece from a poor one?
Any advice will be gratefully received.

I wouldn't bother with anything not perfect. I have struggled with bad fleeces and they are not worth the effort. The first thing you should look at is the fibre strength - anything with a break in the fibre will just cause you grief. I also wouldn't bother with anything with weeds seeds/twigs/gorse or thistles in it

There is probably a spinners guild somewhere near you - They will give you good advice as to whether the fleece is any good, how to select the best fibre out of it or if it is best as compost. They will also give you hints on learning to spin. If you want to learn to spin you really need to get the best fleece you can- not too fine or course. It will save a lot of frustration down the track.

More
8 years 8 months ago #473949 by 2D
Thank you Morioka. I have at least a dozen fleeces up in the shed because I have had the four sheep shorn every year but haven't done anything with them. I went to the website that Megan suggested and found that there is a spinners' group fairly local to me, so I shall have to take a few samples to them. I can't guarantee that there won't be bits of grass in them, though, because I was stuffing them into paper sacks while the shearer was busy and was only concentrating on whether I was putting dags in. I would imagine that the wool is better from younger sheep, as a general rule?

More
8 years 7 months ago #474247 by Iniuk
Wethers have a reputation as the best wool, but the best wool is the fleece that suits you.
Like Morioka, I'd recommend a good mid-range sort of fleece as a starter. I taught myself from Molly Duncan's "Spin Your Own Wool and Dye it and Weave it" nearly 50 years ago. Still available 2nd hand, very clear and simple.
Oh, and the grass can be picked out. Spread an old sheet out and empty a fleece at a time on it, take off scruffy bits around the edges. Someone in your about-to-be Spinning group will know.

More
8 years 7 months ago #474547 by 2D
Thank you, Iniuk. I did have someone show me what to do some considerable time ago so reading a book should bring it all back, hopefully. Thanks for the advice about how to sort the fleeces out.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds