felted dogs

More
8 years 11 months ago #35632 by Waffling Milk Maid
As promised, here are some of the felted dogs I've done recently!!

"Oskar", a Basenji:
File Attachment:

This is modeled on the actual dog (who died in Jan), and also has the baby tooth and a lock of the dogs hair encapsulated inside him so he's very special to his mum.

"Zoe" the rottie
File Attachment:

"Teddy" the shih tzu (in full show coat)
File Attachment:

"Brown Dog" modeled on a real kelpie
File Attachment:

"Mac" the giant schnauzer
File Attachment:

"Ralph" the miniature shcnauzer
File Attachment:

"Darcy" modeled on the real irish setter by the same name
File Attachment:

the line up of 10 australian shepherds all ordered by one lady; some are modeled on specific dogs, others aren't
File Attachment:

The aussies were all gifts; some to friends of the buyer, and some as prizes for the dog show she is judging in the USA next month. :)

I have a heap more, those are just some of my favs... lol! I am working on a finiish lapphund right now, and next on the list is a german wirehaired pointer and a border collie. I am slooooowlly getting my waiting list down; I had to stop taking orders last year cos the list was getting stupidly long and I can only do a few a month!!! I hope to get through the list this year, and then will just take on only a few orders at a time. lol

Owned by a standard poodle, a couple of burmese cats, a miniature horse, & a budgie.
Also proud mum to Caleb and Piper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #466640 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic felted dogs
Stunning! You are soooo clever!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
8 years 11 months ago #466641 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic felted dogs
Goodness, you're very clever!

More
8 years 11 months ago #466644 by muri
Replied by muri on topic felted dogs
Oh wow

More
8 years 11 months ago #466647 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic felted dogs
Isn't that "bow wow"? [;)]

More
8 years 11 months ago #466652 by kate
Replied by kate on topic felted dogs
Amazing - what a great talent :D :D

Web Goddess

More
8 years 11 months ago #466682 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic felted dogs
Awesome Waffles, so talented, an understatement.
Having seen these pics, an angora goat would be no problem to you. [}:)]
Will be in touch.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
8 years 11 months ago #466700 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic felted dogs
Are they felted with wool, or do you use dog hair? Are they over a wire frame or stand alone?

Actually, next one you make, can you post stage by stage photos?

And I hope you are charging what they are worth - collectors' items !!!

They are amazing and so similar to the models. Surely you could make more money from making and selling these, than dog grooming? Or maybe groom the dogs and then make a model of them.

More
8 years 11 months ago #466706 by Edenview
Replied by Edenview on topic felted dogs
just amazing! i have a friend that uses the clipped hair off her dog, she spins it then knits things who needs a sheep!

More
8 years 11 months ago #466718 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic felted dogs
Anne, I have seen Waffles start an animal. It was a mass of carded(?) wool. It is called needle felting, a hooked needle pushes the wool back into itself. Simple eh?? Yeah right!! You try to get the muscular detail she gets. I remember a lion she did, amazing muscular detail.

Quote from the past ..... "Close! The wool (fluffy fleece, not yarn) is stabbed with a needle, and moved around as you go, but there's no shape/cookie cutter thing as all my stuff is done free-hand, just shaping (and keeping fingers out of the way) as I go, building on more as I go, and just doing it all from my head basicly. I haven't heard of those cookie-cutter shape things, I image they produce a fairly flat/2D cookie-cutter shape in the end though, not a 3D thing?? hmm."

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
8 years 10 months ago #466744 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic felted dogs
They are very good, amazing detail too - I am impressed!

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
8 years 10 months ago #466779 by Waffling Milk Maid
Replied by Waffling Milk Maid on topic felted dogs
hehe, thanks all.

Anne, I have used poodle fur to actually felt in to a dog, but it was an absolute ass to work with and I hated it. lol!! I have now decided to never do it again and instead just encapsulate a lock of the dogs fur inside the sculpture if they want their dogs fur included. lol! I use sheep and alpaca fleece normally. :) Not many dogs I've groomed would be suitable to use for felting; most were done regularly so only had a tiny bit trimmed off! And those left longer were generally in a matted mess so it just wouldn't be possible. Those that had long hair being cut short, that were in decent condition, not all would have fur that would felt well or be nice to deal with. Basically not something that could be done as sustainable side project to grooming!! lol.

There are work-in-progress photos on my facebook page to look at, but I don't often take many progress photos cos I do it in fits and starts when I don't think to take photos or in the evenings when there is poor lighting! I can try to remember for the next dog, but the current one is mostly done except for a leg, a tail and fine tuning. lol!

I don't use any wire. I consider it every now and again.... but I don't like working with wire armature much, so I just carry on without it. :p

And the price, like with any craft hobby, can never come near the amount of hours actually put in! Though the materials used is minimal so there is a good profit margin there, but dog grooming will always pay a better hourly rate!! lol.

Owned by a standard poodle, a couple of burmese cats, a miniature horse, & a budgie.
Also proud mum to Caleb and Piper

More
8 years 10 months ago #466828 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic felted dogs
Have just picked up my jaw from the floor!!! :-) These are absolutely stunning, Waffles. And so special. What a talent! Thanks for letting us see them.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
8 years 10 months ago #466832 by Minky2
Replied by Minky2 on topic felted dogs
These are beautiful, absolutely love all the little 'Aussies'. Would really love to see a pic of the Finnish Lapphund when you've completed it!

More
8 years 10 months ago #467368 by Iniuk
Replied by Iniuk on topic felted dogs
You really get the 'life' in your dogs. They're fantastic.

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds