Wanna see my ....

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #35235 by Ruth
Wanna see my .... was created by Ruth

Socks?

I made them short, because I couldn't see the point of all that extra length gathering around my ankles. I almost got the pair from one ball of wool. The next pair will have to be a bit shorter, or have a strip of something else at the top - or toes.

Attached files
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #462119 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Wanna see my ....
Well done you :D :D great effort.

Now if you were to knit them out of possum/merino wool, you would be on a real winner [;)] :D :D

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #462120 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Wanna see my ....
Well done, are they your first? Great job, I had some little ankle ones too, very handy. Do you use 2-4 or round needles? I use 4, I can do round, but just prefer 4. I've been running them up for kids lately so they finish quite quick.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #462132 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Wanna see my ....
Yes, first time! Four needles. I only just figured out how to hold them in the last month, which was why I got on with making socks. I've wondered about making them for years.

I have some lovely, soft Australian stuff which is an 80/20 mix, which I might try next, as well as some of that same stripey stuff in blues.

Such fun!

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #462138 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Wanna see my ....
Very nice Ruth. My mum's mum used to knit socks on four needles. I still have one pair left but they are over thirty years old and no longer suitable for day wear with boots as they have stretched a lot.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #462142 by Ruth

ronnie;463917 wrote: Well done you :D :D great effort.

Now if you were to knit them out of possum/merino wool, you would be on a real winner [;)] :D :D

Got any 4-ply p/m with a touch of nylon for wear?

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #462148 by Deanna
The softer yarn Ruth doesn't stay up so well, but other yarns that appear not so soft, yet still very comfortable clings to the leg better and keep you toastie warm.

i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu205/nandeenz/0a3edd3f.jpg

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #462150 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Wanna see my ....
Very nice :D Now you need some mohair....

Web Goddess

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #462161 by Ruth

Deanna;463947 wrote: The softer yarn Ruth doesn't stay up so well, but other yarns that appear not so soft, yet still very comfortable clings to the leg better and keep you toastie warm.

i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu205/nandeenz/0a3edd3f.jpg

Goodness, I've become an appreciator of socks! Very nice. :D

Kate;463950 wrote: Very nice :D Now you need some mohair....

You know where I live ... [;)]

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #462164 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Wanna see my ....
Wow, Ruth!!! They're lovely. I've wanted to make socks for ages and you've given me inspiration. Just brilliant and I'm really impressed.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
9 years 4 weeks ago #462168 by Deanna
Ruth, I'm sorry but I think you are becoming hooked! It's addictive for sure, I can't wait to see your second pair.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #462625 by Iniuk
Replied by Iniuk on topic Wanna see my ....
I'm with Deanna- socks are very addictive. They are so portable, smaller than a jersey, so comfortable, so appreciated, what's not to love about them?
If you spin your own wool a bit of mohair in the mix adds to longevity.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #462634 by Ruth
Sock pattern question: I have the Opal "Easy Sock Pattern ..." provided free by the wool shop where I bought my first wool. It differs from the Opal Yarn Great Sock Collection pattern I now also have and one of the patterns in there also appears to differ from the others in regard to the toe shaping/decrease.

I have therefore three different versions: decrease on every third round (which gives a toe which would only suit one of those weird long shoes which were fashionable for a while recently and must be incorrect); decrease on every second round; or decrease on every round.

Which is correct?

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #462661 by Deanna
Decrease every 2nd row, or round creates a nice tapered finish.
Every row would bring it in very quickly and pointed.
Every 3rd row, very slowly and longer as you said.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #462663 by Ruth
With wide feet, the quick decrease seemed quite a good idea, but I might try the every-second on the next pair and see how they feel.

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds