Shawl: number four!

More
9 years 1 month ago #35150 by Ruth
Shawl: number four! was created by Ruth
Finished at last. I started this one about eighteen months or so ago, with no particular baby in mind. Then I offered it to a woman when she'd just found out she was expecting and now the baby's four months old already ... but it was a bit too warm for a woollen shawl before now anyway. [:I]

I like the pattern very much; it's lovely to knit. It's a Shepherd pattern. 3-ply wool.

Now, I've just started on some socks. :D I've never been able to knit socks or anything on short needles before, having always tucked my right needle under my arm, but somehow I've now developed something approximating the usual hold and off I go!

Attached files
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #461217 by ZummersetGirl
Replied by ZummersetGirl on topic Shawl: number four!
That is a beautiful shawl. I love seeing other people's achievements.
I started a shawl when I was expecting my youngest - he is now nearly 13 and I haven't finished it yet [:I]

More
9 years 1 month ago #461219 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Shawl: number four!
I think I'd better offer a washing service: it would need to be dried flat, in the shade, and I've really no idea how one would practically achieve such a thing in a rural household, without some sort of creature finding it and lying or crapping on it! Between a couple of sheets might be the answer.

When I've paid off the tractor, I might buy another packet of wool and do another one. It takes 19 25g balls, which cost about $5.20 each in the shops. I figure that for a year's entertainment, that's not an outrageous cost. :)

More
9 years 1 month ago #461221 by Megan
Replied by Megan on topic Shawl: number four!
It's magnificent! You should be very proud of your achievement. I am currently spinning some merino and silk very fine. That pattern you have used looks like it would do nicely as an end result. Could you let me know the number of the pattern, please?

Megan

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
9 years 1 month ago #461222 by Ruth
I'll have to find it again - and hope the number isn't on the bit the Pukeko ate! PM me and I might have another solution. [;)]

More
9 years 1 month ago #461226 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Shawl: number four!
Ruth, am very impressed.
With regards to knitting socks, and lets face it when i lived in norway I was forever knitting socks, especially for the kids,
we used four small needles and you knit it as a tube. Very easy and quick and no sewing at the end. Just need to find the pattern for that in a NZ book.
We knitted sweaters and everything else on round needles and its twice as quick as doing single rows on two needles.
But the shawl is a real work of art

More
9 years 1 month ago #461236 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Shawl: number four!
I'm very impressed...a work of beauty :D

Web Goddess

More
9 years 1 month ago #461237 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Shawl: number four!
Ruth that is so beautiful and I love that that you gave it away and that there are still Mum's who use shawls. my girls didn't so I never had to think of knitting one.
With the socks - they are so much easier on a circular needle! I taught myself how by using google so anyone can do it.

More
9 years 1 month ago #461264 by Ruth
The parents appeared pleased with the present. It's nice giving them to people, but I hope they really love them as much as is deserved! That's a whole year's work in there - well, a whole year around farming, insemination, writing, etc. ... :D

I went mad in Whangarei and bought 200g of sock wool. Not exactly within the Tractor Austerity Budget.

More
9 years 1 month ago #461279 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Shawl: number four!
The shawl is so beautiful Ruth. I too hope it is appreciated. My eldest daughter is now 32 and I have kept and looked after a shawl that was made with love for her and subsequently used for my second daughter. I am so looking forward to passing it on for my grandchildren... if I ever get any! Still waiting.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #462157 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Shawl: number four!
Very lovely work of art there Ruth! Well done!

I have a collection of nice baby knitting patterns scattered between here and Australia, that I dream of making up some day... but only succeed in making little booties from a couple patterns that start from the sole up. I'd love to knit bigger beautiful things like that!

Reminds me... I should be getting the knitting needles out and making a new set of booties for the new grandchild-on-the-way...

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #462160 by Ruth
It's not such a huge job, once you get underway. The rows are long, but you get into the pattern of the repeating stitches and after a while you've completed a border. Once you've done three of them, by the time you don't cast off the fourth but just carry on up the centre panel, you discover the pleasant change in knitting and it all passes very nicely.

I would never have thought I could do it. But once I was on the way, it was pretty easy. Time consuming for the times I needed something useful to do.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #462169 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Shawl: number four!
That is stunning Ruth and in 3 ply, wow. Lovely pattern.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #462173 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Shawl: number four!
Such talent - so beautiful - so envious :-) Well done Ruth - thanks for letting us see it.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #462333 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Shawl: number four!
Gorgeous, I can't knit, so jealous.
Regarding drying it, in the UK you used to be able to get over the bath driers to dry woolens flat. Sort of a net in thin frame on short legs that hooked over the sides.

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds