Gorgeous quilts by Rae

More
10 years 10 months ago #461743 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic Gorgeous quilts by Rae
Mich, can you please email me with your address again, as have managed to loose it? I want to send you that quilt pattern, also very interested to know more about the book you have just ordered, a price and where to get one would be great! I have nearly finished the next belted galloway quilt and now have another breed cow and calf one to do, once more I cannot say what breed it is as its to be presented next year. I am also starting another quilt for the care and craft group that I make quilts for. the material I have is 7 absolutly beautiful big blocks of English birds, 3 sets of two and 1 single bird one, so will try making Attic Window blocks, to fill in the rest of the quilt, as there is a lot of already cut material that I can use that is the right shape. I do have to cut blocks to fit inside the Attic windows, but so far its not looking bad at all. I rang the lady up who I need to make the horse quilt for, and so far she has not bothered to sell the other quilt to her friend, so once I get the cow and calf one finished, will finish off her horse quilt, as I still have lots of the mauve and purple material left from the same coloured Appaloosa horse one I did last year. I have to pack up everything next week, as we are full for the fieldays, and so have to have my machine away tidy. I downloaded some cow embroidery designs today from Embroidery deisgns, and have a towel to do, plus I downloaded a car design for a towel for my littlest grandson. Birthday in about 24 days. Have a couple of weaner heifers that have had a set back with the cold weather, so have to see to them twice a day, One we have put back onto milk, and she is looking really great now. The first one loves the stable and parks herself in there every night.

RaeM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #461753 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Gorgeous quilts by Rae
Rae same here, despite having the calves come into the barn of a night, a few of ours haven't done as well as they should have and we have dosed a couple of them up with AB's and the like. The only other thing the vet suggested was to get the 5 in 1`into them.

Worm burden has been a big issue too with the calves. No doubt due to summer drought and Mum eating close to the ground....

Mich yes I found my boxes (well most of them) yesterday when i went down the back (thus the longdrop thread).
I had forgotten about some of the them, and also a half finished mystery project I started with the sallie army group I used to quilt with. I also found E's old favourite pj's I have been saving to turn those into a history quilt. I thought last night that I would like to design a quilt based around the different age groups of those pjs with the size label showing, but not sure how to go about the design. I am into fairly basic designs, keen to do a basic block one sometime. Need to think more on that one.

More
10 years 10 months ago #461765 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Gorgeous quilts by Rae
Hi Rae - will send you my email addy shortly :-) The English bird quilt sounds beautiful and I'm looking forward to seeing it already, LOL.

Swaggie, I love your idea for the PJs. What a very special quilt that will be when you decide on the design - a real heirloom for E. It's great when you go through your stash and 'discover' fabrics you'd forgotten you had - like going shopping all over again, LOL.

Have you seen that advert on TV with the quilting magazine series and fabric etc. The quilt looks nice, but I couldn't help thinking that a trip to the library for 'how to' books would be cheaper for people wanting to learn quilting, and you could get a lot of fabric for the price of the series over the longer term.

Rae, contact your library to see if they have the book there - I always try to check out books on Amazon or in the library first as they're expensive to buy if you don't absolutely LOVE them. I ordered it through Grandmother's Garden for about $30, from memory (well, I hope that's all it is, haha). Am still waiting for it to arrive - GG books normally take 3-6 weeks to come from overseas, but it was either that or have it on permanent loan from the library!

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
10 years 10 months ago #461787 by max2
I now subscribe to GG's email and its great, reminds me of the shop I used to frequent back in Aussie.
As I have to pick up my nut tree order from the fellows at Gordontown, I am going to make the trip a double visit to GG's as well.

More
10 years 10 months ago #461788 by max2

Mich;463529 wrote:
Swaggie, I love your idea for the PJs. What a very special quilt that will be when you decide on the design - a real heirloom for E. It's great when you go through your stash and 'discover' fabrics you'd forgotten you had - like going shopping all over again, LOL.

Cheers, Mich.

yes it was great to find and to show E her favourites from size 1 which naturally she doesn't remember now she is 15.

My biggest thing is what or how to match/oppose the colours. Most of them are pinks or such like and the only shared colour theme in any of them is perhaps a hint of white going through the design, so we have pink, blues, pink and darker pink, green, flowers, stripes, fairies, butterflies etc etc all over the fabric and I don't know if I should do a white internal border to divide the groups and unite the quilt or just go for a crazy quilt or do it in sizing....

Decisions, decisions.......

More
10 years 10 months ago #461808 by Mich
I often have the same dilemma when dealing with colour, Swaggie. Got a possible solution for you though. When you go to GG, give them a call beforehand and ask to speak to Stephanie to see if she's around when you visit. She's absolutely brilliant at coordinating colours. I'm sure she'd be able to give you some options that maybe you hadn't thought about.

Lucky you at being able to visit. I've only been there once when passing through on my way to pick up some sheep in Auckland. Other times I've always gone through when they're closed, darn it. Amazing place.

Cheers, Mich.

More
10 years 10 months ago #461895 by RaeM
I dont use the library, as the closest one is Te Awamutu over 1/2 an hour from us, becasue we live in the Waipa District, yet we are only 12 mins from the centre of the city. To join the HN one will cost over $125 a year, and thats not really fair, but I have found it is best to just bite the bullet and buy any extra books that I want, then I dont have to return them. My two weaners are doing well, and the one on milk is looking for it when we go down to the yards. We moved them into our cattle yards yesterday, and they have grass in there in one of the yards, that has not been grazed all summer, so will let them into that yard tomorrow.

RaeM

More
10 years 10 months ago #462011 by RaeM
Mich, I managed to order the book from Grandmothers Garden, for just over $38 I had a look on EBay, and they were over $68. So thought GG was the better value for money, and I dont have to wait for months for it to arrive!! Weaner calves much better, can put them back with their friends soon. I have just about finished the next cow and calf, got to get it out of the way before the fieldays, as have folks booked in every room, so have to pack my sewing machine and everything else up to make room for guests. Have about 3 rows to sew on the border and then attach the binding, and that will be the hand sewing to do, which I can easily do while we have foks here.

RaeM

More
10 years 9 months ago #465661 by RaeM
Mich have you recieved your new book yet, the collaborative Quilting by Gwen Marston & Freddy Moran, as I have not recieved my copy that I ordered in June??

RaeM

More
10 years 8 months ago #465712 by Mich
Hi Rae - Nooooooooo, and I'm so disappointed!!! :( . I got an email from Grandmothers Garden earlier today to say it has been "discontinued". Real shame, specially as they advertised it as being available to order and I did so straight away. I emailed back and suggested they take it off their site.

Still going to keep an eye out for it as I REALLY REALLY REALLY (did I say REALLY) want it. Otherwise I might just have to keep the Library's copy out on constant loan! :D

Let me know if you have any better luck.
Cheers, Mich.

More
10 years 8 months ago #465862 by RaeM
I had an email from them as well today about the non availabilty of the book, so thats a real shame. Have had a quilting friend out to help me sort out material, as I had 3 big banana boxes down in our tractor shed, plus 8 big plastic containers, so we now have solids in 2 boxes, flowers in 2 boxes, stripes in another box, plus brights etc and other things in boxes, and now my girlfriend that I make the quilts for has just rung me to say her son will be delivering at least one or two more boxes over the weekend of more material. Its hard keeping up with the supply, but now that we have sorted out what I do have its a lot easier to find things. (Now I wonder what will arrive over the weekend))

RaeM

More
10 years 8 months ago #465865 by max2
What about sourcing it from Ebay, amazon either uk or usa?

More
10 years 8 months ago #465928 by RaeM
Not that desperate to get it, as have heaps of other books, and normally I seem to design the quilts as I go. Depends on the material, and how it all looks and talks to me when I am working with it. Will shortly have a quilt finished, that has English bird panels, and its really lovely, it will be going to Gisborne for the care and craft to raffle.,.

RaeM

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds