Special quilt finished at last...

More
9 years 5 months ago #453756 by Mich
Aw, thanks for such lovely feedback - I'm glad you liked it. :) It's amazing how a relatively straightforward pattern can be transformed by the colour choices and placement.

So, what are you other quilters working on at the moment? I've got a couple of quilts on the go for a neighbour's two young sons - they're lovely and bright and a pleasure to work on, as I love bright and bold colours. Then I have a farm quilt to make for another friend that is soooooo overdue. Then an American Civil war quilt that I promised my DH (I feel like one of those tradespeople who leave all their own stuff until last.... :rolleyes:), then a month by month applique block quilt that I'm doing on my own, then a big quilt that I started to put on our bed. I used to think I didn't have that many unfinished quilts but boy they're sure adding up :( [;)] :D .

Kaybe, what an awesome job that would have been at GG - but I suspect you have saved yourself a lot of money. Had it been me, I'd have worked for fabric, LOL, then have had to lease out storage space to keep it all in. They're such a nice bunch there, and very obliging.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #453865 by RaeM1
Fantastic job and beautiful colour selection, Mich, sorry I have not yet replied to your message, but have had things really busy up here, I do have two that I have finished, but one I cannot show as its for a special occasion at a conference, so its deffinatly a secret at this stage. I have just finished a wall hanging for a girlfriend, with the mare and foal that I use, she suggested I make it as a cushion, but as she had first asked for the wall hanging I told her that was what she would get, she rang me the day she got it and just kept saying WOW, WOW, and so I could tell she was pleased. Now just starting another mare and foal quilt this time as a true Palomino with a blond mare and tail, mare and foal, and its going to be stunning. Also in quiet times have started getting blocks done for the eldest daughter, so far a couple of fresian cows, and another block with a dalmation dog, but its going to be king sized, so will take quite a while. I will send kate photos in next few days to put up on the web site. Mich I will send the secret one to you by email. Once they have their conference, it will be able to be shown to everyone.

More
9 years 5 months ago #453959 by max2
Mich to answer your question as its been over 4 years if not nearer to 5 that I last completed a quilt and back in Aussie, my urge has returned to get stuck into another this winter. I was going to attempt a christmas quilt as previous posted, but for one reason or another I didn't make a firm decision as to what colour theme I wanted to highlight in the quilt and the fabrics i saw I didn't particularly like.

However, I have a lovely stash of fabrics bought back in NSW that I am keen to put to good use. I am thinking of either going a rustic bronze/darkish pink theme or go a muted green theme for us. Our bedroom is in neutral colours so takes any quilt very successfully.

I am particularly taken with simple block work and bought another quilting book really cheap in December that inspired me to just do simple straight blocks. Just have to put my mind and time to it.

More
9 years 5 months ago #454023 by Mich
Hi Swaggie - I like simple blocks as well. They actually allow for a lot of creativity in colour use and I find them really enjoyable to do. Both the colour schemes you mentioned sound just gorgeous - I'm particularly taken with the idea of a bronze/darkish pink one (although green's my favourite colour, LOL) and I can just imagine how beautiful any quilt done with that combination would be.

I'm doing a 12 block pieced/appliqued quilt simply because I liked the pattern, but am breaking it down into one block a month so I'll get it finished in amongst other ones. Perhaps we could keep each other 'company' as we work on our quilts. :)

Rae, am looking forward to seeing your quilts. Your work is always so original and innovative.

Are there any LSB quilters who might be interested in doing a round robin, row-by-row or block swap quilt with me? No fancy turn-under/baltimore-style applique and fairly lenient timeframes, but it's been a while since I joined in one and I feel the urge to do another at some point.

Cheers, Mich.

More
9 years 5 months ago #454094 by max2
Mich I am not up to your standard for a block swap, but I would be happy to email my teacher and neighbour back in NSW (she was writing some articles for one of the aussie quilting mags when i left) as she belonged to an international block swap group.... she is just an exciting and vibrant person to share with. I am sure she would love to do something like that with a like minded person.

More
9 years 5 months ago #454095 by max2
The couple of quilts I have done I have been really lucky to have fallen into the right colours that I have been happy with. Or at least in the case of a log cabin quilt I made as my first sample quilt :rolleyes: the colours I selected pulled out other patterns without looking odd or yuk.

I would like to learn how to do a colour wash quilt (ie the sort that starts at one end of a colour scale and finished the total opposite) one day. I can really appreciate the art and scale of planning that goes behind one of those.

More
9 years 5 months ago #454342 by Robinsons Folly?
I love the colour, and the design.... and everything!!! jealous!!

Three Piggies, Four Chooky Babes, Randy the Roo, Hubby and Me. [:D]

More
9 years 4 months ago #455746 by Deanna
OH MY! That is awesome, no wonder your so chuffed with yourself, deserved indeed. Absolutely beautiful.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
9 years 4 months ago #455763 by DiDi
Wow - that is stunningly beautiful. Well done Mich and what a lovely present for such a lovely friend.

More
9 years 4 months ago #455772 by Robinsons Folly?
I'd like to try a block swap. never done one before,.....

I have 3 WIPS (works in progress), and far too many I'd like to do. Plus I have some orphan blocks I bought to think about setting.

More
9 years 4 months ago #455773 by Robinsons Folly?
oh and I just bought the french braid quilts book!! Naughty me.....

More
9 years 4 months ago #455793 by Mich
Aren't there some beautiful quilts in that book, RF? I don't think you'll regret buying it. So much scope to use your own colour schemes/themes. And now you know how Blueberry's quilt was made... [;)] :D

I'd really love to do a block swap with you. Way cool, specially since we can take as much time as we want/need (we all have other WIPs, right?). Anyone else like to join in to add to the fun? :p Come on - it'll be lovely to have a quilt that has input from our own LSB family. Be very special. :D

Have a think about what you'd like to do - maybe there's a quilt that you've always had in mind but the thought of doing ALL the blocks yourself is too daunting or boring? Or maybe think of a theme (stars, farm, children's, Christmas, whatever) and/or colour scheme and whether you want to be surprised with what the other person/s come up with, or choose exactly what you want to end up with ... the list is endless and anything goes. Can just be simple blocks if you like. They're always nice and relaxing to work on and cater for all levels of experience. RaeM - can we tempt you?

The only criteria I'd be happy NOT to see in the quilt is hand and needleturn applique or crazy quilting where you have to do the fancy lace, embroidery or decoration on it (CQ blocks are fine on their own, though). Reason is that my hand embroidery days are way behind me and I'd struggle to do a good job now.

I'll PM you my details, RF, and we can get our heads together.
Cheers, Mich.

More
9 years 4 months ago #456095 by kindajojo
Beautiful and an amazing color

More
9 years 4 months ago #457471 by Blueberry
let's see if that works - my new, very special quilt in it's 'natural environment: :D

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
9 years 4 months ago #458338 by RaeM1
Mich sorry have not been on here for a little while, the special quilt I made for the belted Galloway people, was actioned last weekend, and made $600, I still have to put the photo on my computer, but will get Kate to put it up once I get a chance. Have been really busy with farmstays, and also actually did my GST today!!

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds