Christmas quilt - have you made one?

More
9 years 5 months ago #34011 by max2
I have always been keen on the idea of quilting with christmas fabric for a bedcover for Miss E. However I have trouble in visualising a finished quilt as christmas fabric can be quite garish piece by piece.

Has anyone pulled off such a project? I just thought it timely with christmas fabric possibly on special now....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #449865 by 3 girls farming
I've done two decorative ones.. rather than bed sized... I toned down the xmas material with plain colours which made them softer... I've tried to download pictures off the camera to attach but can't seem to manage... sorry.

More
9 years 5 months ago #449870 by max2
3 girls, what colour theme did you go for? Red, Green or White? or a completely modern take on the christmas colours.?

More
9 years 5 months ago #449901 by Mich
Hey there Swaggie - are you thinking about doing it as pieced blocks, or an appliqued quilt? Or a mix of both? A mix might give you more scope to use other colours and fabrics. Adding in bits of blue or purple, gold or silver is always nice. 3GF's idea of including non-Christmas fabric is a good one. Perhaps adding some log cabin-style blocks into the quilt might suit as it'll let you use a great mix of fabrics while concentrating on the light/dark aspect.

Google images of Christmas Quilts and you'll get a huge range to give you some inspiration, but nealy any quilt can be changed into a Christmas one.

I've only done small Christmas ones myself, but a larger one would be fun to do. Having just finished a beautiful big quilt for a friend, I might join you in making one :D . If I do a block a month for the year it'll be effortless, given that I still have a couple of other projects to finish...

One of the 'for me' quilts I'd like to do this year is the Art to Heart "Be Attitudes" quilt. What are other people working on this year?

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
9 years 5 months ago #449906 by Hawkspur
One idea for a Christmas piece is to make a quilted table runner or table cloth: great for protecting the table from hot dishes, and very festive. You could have interesting themed blocks down the length, and kids (and adults) would find items in front of them quite a conversation piece!
Another is an advent calendar wall hanging with flaps that can be folded and tucked to reveal or hide symbols or images.

More
9 years 5 months ago #449930 by max2
Hawkespur one of the local Ladies here made placements for christmas and they looked lovely.

Mich I was thinking about the log cabin pattern too and thus the colour shading and I think 3 Girls have it right by adding non christmas print to the mix.

How long will christmas fabric remain in the shops for? I think if this is going to be my winter project, I might need to get cracking with buying the christmas print to start with.... :cool:

More
9 years 5 months ago #450029 by 3 girls farming
just looking at my quilts.. the one on the wall on the moment has xmas embroidered squares, framed in deep blue (Plain), then the other squares are vaguely xmas print in dark green and blue with red and yellow print, then the sashing is dark red with a soft xmas print and then a cream printed with gold xmas trees as the binding.

the other is hand painted and then embroidered with buttons sewn on top.. very xmas but also tiny and just for a wall hanging.

I think the fabrics are in the shop most of the year but probably you'll get good prices as the moment.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds