I want to learn to spin but need a wheel!

More
12 years 1 month ago #31812 by ZummersetGirl
I'm new to LSB forums and have a quick look at the archived messages but couldn't find the info I need. I would like to starting spinning but need a wheel and don't know which one to buy. Can't afford a top range model though!! Trade me has lots of wheels but as I know as much about spinning as I do about nuclear fission :D I thought I would ask the experts.
Joining a spinning group would be an idea - does anybody know of one near Te Horo? All info very gratefully received.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #426019 by tonic
my family make spinning wheels... there are a wide range of prices so you are not limited to second hand, pick one you like as it will be with you for years. you can look on ravelry as they have groups about different brands and you can read them. i will see if i can track down a contact for a spinning group for you tomorrow.

More
12 years 1 month ago #426031 by kai
There is a spinning group that meets in Otaki at one of the church halls in Te Rauparaha Road. I only know this as the lady we bought the house from was a spinner and mentioned it. I believe they meet on a thursday, but I am not sure exactly where, but do a search and you should come up with something. The Lady has moved out of the area so I can't give you her contact details

More
12 years 1 month ago #426032 by kai
Also have a look in the charity shops in Waikanae, I am pretty sure I saw one with two wheels in couple of weeks ago.

More
12 years 1 month ago #426043 by Kiwi303
Check the dump recycling centres, I picked up a complete good wheel for $20 a couple of years ago from the Richmond refuse centre... I ran off here to China without ever settling down and trying to learn how to use it, and as soon as I was gone my brothers partner nicked it :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 1 month ago #426063 by kai
this site should be able to lead you to the Otaki group.

More
12 years 1 month ago #426078 by ZummersetGirl
Hi Kai - the link takes me to the UK site but I will google Otaki and points north. Many thanks to you all for your feedback.

More
12 years 1 month ago #426087 by RaeM1
I have two spinning wheels sitting here, as not using them at all, one is a single string ashford, the other runs with two strings, and is also I think an ashford, I am near Hamilton if that suits you to come over and look! I also have a large amount of already carded wool that is sitting in bags as well!! Found that my hands dont let me spin, so now I machine quilt as a relaxation effort.

More
12 years 1 month ago #426111 by Megan
www.creativefibre.org.nz/cs/Services.asp?type=94

I see from their map they have groups in Levin, Waikanae and Paraparaumu. They should be able to set you up with someone to teach you to spin - warning - it's addictive!!

Megan

The nice part about living in a small town is that when you don't know what you are doing, someone else does.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
12 years 1 month ago #426142 by masha1
Spinning is very addictive, I spin both wool and mohair fibre, (do my own shearing so I can sort it at the same time) and the biggest problem is then using it. So biggest advice is.. make sure you have someone to take it if you cant use it yourself. A church group is a good one as they are always looking for good wool to knit into blankets or clothing.

More
12 years 1 month ago #426182 by tonic
this page may help:

www.creativefibre.org.nz

according to this there are spinning groups in levin and waikanae:

www.creativefibre.org.nz/MC_Downloads/WellAreaMap.pdf

More
12 years 1 month ago #426188 by kai

ZummersetGirl;423977 wrote: Hi Kai - the link takes me to the UK site

oospie!

More
12 years 1 month ago #426220 by ZummersetGirl
Hi RaeM1, that is a lovely offer. I may be coming up to Hamilton to go to the nurses conference that is being held there later this year. May I contact you if I do?
Masha1 - I have heard that it is addictive!! I can't wait to add another addition to the ones I have already - chocolate included!!

Tonic/Megan - thanks for the links. I will investigate these

More
12 years 4 weeks ago #426335 by RaeM1
That will be fine contact me when you are coming up to Hamilton.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds