10 years 4 months ago #30776 by kate
Raes gorgeous quilts was created by kate
Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #414776 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Raes gorgeous quilts
Absolutely stunning! Well done Rae, beautiful workpersonship...

More
10 years 4 months ago #414778 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Raes gorgeous quilts
Stunning, I am not a quilty person myself but I could be if i saw those for sale.
Do you sell them Rae, you are truly talented

More
10 years 4 months ago #414795 by 3 girls farming
Rae, looks like a bit of aplique going on there.. I love doing it but I've been using a double sided fusible interfacing and finding it too hard to quilt through.. what are you using (presuming you hand quilt)??? Nancy

More
10 years 4 months ago #414798 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Raes gorgeous quilts
Absolutely gorgeous

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 4 months ago #414831 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Raes gorgeous quilts
Rae - you have such a talent, my friend. Just beautiful. I'm particularly impressed with your colour skills. Not something that comes easily to me, I'm afraid. Way to go, girl!
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
10 years 4 months ago #414835 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Raes gorgeous quilts
OMG, they are awesome. [:0] I wish I had the time to make them let alone the amazing skills.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
10 years 4 months ago #414867 by RaeM1
Replied by RaeM1 on topic Raes gorgeous quilts
I use visafix, (spelling) and iron onto the back side of whatever, then cut it out and iron the object onto where it needs to go to, you can use glue to hold the pieces if they start coming off, I have used Glue stick, that you can buy from stationary shops, and on the owls I actually used craft glue to hold the feathers in place while I appliqued around them, but I always machine sew, I have a problem with right hand, so cannot hand sew very much. the top one is a cover for daughters electric organ, her M-I-Law is one of the top quilters in Ausi, so felt I had to do something very different, so the owls were from a pattern in NZ quilt mag, and the trees each side, tree stems are fantastic material I got from country dawn quilting up north, tuis and keas are actually fabric that I appliqued from scratch, and I cut out the objects, to suit where I wanted them. One tui is made of two as I did not have a full bird to use.
The second one is a quilt I have made for a care and craft group to raffle, so anyone wanting tickets pm me and I will give you contact details for that raffle. My friend is one of the organisers for them, and I have been given a lot of material from that group. 3rd one is a grandsons quilt with a scene in the middle that has kiwis under the trees, by a lake. then each corner is a different tree, and the left hand one has an apple tree with his family up to great- great- grandparents on the apples in it. The rest of the blocks are NZ birds, kiwi, fantails, etc.
The bottom quilt was made for his mother who is our youngest daughter, and she picked the colours and the pattern. Now I have started a baby cot quilt for a baby due now, and then will do one with scenes of Wellington harbour, boats, planes etc, am using a pattern I have here that I used for the tractor quilt, so not too big, but the applique will be different, and I have to draw the whole lot of pictures that I will be using. That one will probably take me a little while!!!!

More
10 years 4 months ago #414894 by 3 girls farming
wow.. you are incredibly talented (and busy)..well done.. I'll go track down the Visafix - hopefully Spotlight stocks it.. thanks.. Nancy

More
10 years 4 months ago #414915 by Robinsons Folly?
GOOORGEOUS!!!!!!!!

I have yet to make a full sized quilt (just done smaller wallhangings), but have plans to make heaps! So many ideas, so little time....

Three Piggies, Four Chooky Babes, Randy the Roo, Hubby and Me. [:D]

More
10 years 4 months ago #414921 by RaeM1
I find it best that I do the whole quilts on my sewing machine, as I would feel really bad having to pay the price that some wonderful quiltors ask for with their fantastic quilting machines. I take my time, and work from the middle, once I have pinned the three layers together. I do not go too far with each line of quilting, and just keep working outwards the whole time. So if there is a centre, I quilt that, and then in the ditch around it, as my grandsons quilt had trees and lake scene, I actually did that as a seperate piece, once I had the main applique done on it, I batted and backed, and pinned that really well then as it was not large, quilted around everything, then once I was happy, then added top blocks in rows sewing them to the batting and backing and quilted that, then bottom, the same and then the sides, that way it was not too hard to quilt together, and so if you look on the back its got joins, but, because the centre was so fussy, I had to do it that way. My daughters quilt and the raffle quilt I finished the tops, then pinned batting and backing to them, and quilting from the centre again, to the outside. As sometimes you do need to move the pins as the material is quilted especially near the outsides. I have 600 pins I use when pinning, and can do it on our floor, which is carpet, really takes a lot of time, as I use a chopping board under the quilt when pinning, its a little tricky, or at class where there is tiles and makes it a lot quicker. Can take me over 3 hours to pin a quilt together, so need time, and no visitors when doing it!! Or visitors get the job of opening the pins and giving them to me...!!

More
10 years 4 months ago #414924 by 3 girls farming
never thought of a chopping block.. my carpet is so old that nothing gets caught in it but it would be really anoying to find you've pinned half your quilt to the floor... It was bad enough when I found I had quilted a pin INTO my quilt and had to unquilt to get it out.. whoops...

More
10 years 4 months ago #414954 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Raes gorgeous quilts
It's amazing how much quilting you can get done in just 15-30 minutes every day. I'm trying to get more done this year, so figured that if I try and do even that small amount I'll get through heaps more than if I tried to find a couple of hours at a time (but I soooooo love it when I do work for several hours at a sitting). I've closed my "promised quilts" list until I get through all my outstanding ones - hoping to get them all done this year.

One trick I find useful is to always leave your work so that you're ready to start straight in when you return - e.g., if I'm sewing blocks, I try to make sure that I have some pinned ready to stitch in those 15 minutes or so. Or have things pressed ready to cut, etc.

Rae, your description of the way you quilted your grandson's quilt sounds a bit like that 'quilt as you go' method. I have several books on that and have always meant to try it.

3 girls farming - your post made me laugh. Sorry, but I could just picture it.

Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
10 years 4 months ago #415012 by RaeM1
I forgot to say with the visafix, you trace your drawing onto that, then iron the visafix sticky side to the back side of your material, and then cut to the exact shape, then take the paper off, and place the traced shape onto the right side of your main material, then iron it again, and the traced shape stays there. BUT please use a piece of greaseproof paper between the material and your iron, or the glue that is on the shape will stuff up your iron, and make it hard to use!! Its wonderful stuff and makes doing pictures so easy....

More
10 years 4 months ago #415014 by RaeM1
Yes its Quilt as you go, thanks, my brain had a stop and I could not remember what it was called.. Now off to make some pickle, had the veges for it soaking for 24 hours, have been digging drains down in a big swamp this morning, so had to shower, as i did not smell very nice!!.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds