feathers wanted

More
10 years 5 months ago #30399 by tippy
feathers wanted was created by tippy
Im on the lookout for feathers, any feathers from any bird - happy to pay for them/postage etc.
Im making a korowai to lie on my father-in-laws headstone for his unveiling this year and finding feathers hard to source!

13 acres, 4 dogs, 4 cats, some fish and no stock [:(]. 1 teenager, and a trodden on hubby.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #410256 by Fat Tui
Replied by Fat Tui on topic feathers wanted
Hi tippy,
In a month or so I will be putting some cayuga ducks and barred rocks in the freezer. The ducks have beautiful black feathers and the barred rocks are black and white stripy feathers. If you like, I will contact you closer to the time and see how many I can collect for you.
Without sounding too morbid - the feathers are usually "clean" and not bloodied so should be very suitable for a korowai.

More
10 years 5 months ago #410265 by muri
Replied by muri on topic feathers wanted
Do you prefer native birds, my little kitten brings in an array, usually bigger than herself and multicoloured. I think i have a lot of rosella feathers if you would like.

More
10 years 5 months ago #410427 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic feathers wanted
We're doing a big rooster cull on the first weekend of Feb. Let me know what you're after, and we'll do the best to save what we can.

More
10 years 5 months ago #410509 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic feathers wanted
My hens will start moulting February/march is that's not too late for you. Have silver laced wyandotte and New Hampshire reds.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 4 months ago #411226 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic feathers wanted
I have a friend who was making a korowai, she was on the lookout for feathers. So now, I keep a plastic bag in the car now to collect "fresh readkill". Pukekoes are relatively common and have beautiful colours.
The birds then go in the freezer until they can be collected and the feathers removed. (not involved in that process)
Ironically one day while driving a very large heavy woodpigeon flew in front of a truck ahead of my car and the kill was very fresh, and hardly a mark on it... Apparently there are some legal issues re having possession of the above bird.
Lovely feathers though.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds