Last mminute help with sewing edging...

More
10 years 6 months ago #30033 by highgirl
I finally bought my overlocker - love it and will tell about it in a post soon...

Nothing like leaving things until the 11th hour though, so I'm busy sewing my daughter a dress for a xmas present. It's got a netting overskirt and I'm wondering, do I do that in a rolled hem? or what is picot edging?

I can post a photo of the material if that helps?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #406022 by Belle Bosse
Picot edging is like a fine scolloped edge. It is quite pretty.

A rolled hem is also suitable, provided the netting isn't really stiff... give it a try on scrap netting before attempting the real thing though.

Rolled hem done with gently stretching the netting along fishing line can give the "lettuce leaf" effect and is really nice too, but needs a bit of practice.

I'm so excited for you! You have the world of sewing opening up for you in a fantastic way.
Hope this helps, and Happy Christmas!!

More
10 years 6 months ago #406028 by Mich
Hi Highgirl - congratulations on getting your overlocker. What brand did you decide on in the end? Looking forward to hearing about it.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
10 years 6 months ago #406055 by highgirl
I ended up getting a janome. I've only used it in the last couple of days so am still getting used to it but it seems great :D I'm so pleased I got one, I can see me doing a lot with it!

I must say the rolled hem I tried last night didn't work...I think it was something to do with the netting ??? Here is a photo of it

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
10 years 6 months ago #406108 by Belle Bosse
The netting looks as though it is soft enough for the rolled hem.

On your practice piece, try putting a little more/a little less fabric under the foot to be rolled, and see if that makes any difference. Keep doing trial runs.
What does your instruction manual say regarding how many needles to have working? Do you have to remove any?
Do you have the right tensions for rolled hemming?
The first time I attempted doing the rolled hem it took a number of tries to get the rolled hem working for Poplin. I had the manual open and had to do minor adjustments beyond their settings to get the rolled hem tension just right. It took a while to work out, but was worth it in the end.
It is a matter of trial and error to start with, but good for you for getting straight into it!

Something less fancy, but just as effective if the rolled hem won't work, is running the hem edge through the overlocker (1 needle, 3 threads + blade in action) on the plain overlocking stitch, then turn that edge under and straight stitch the hem in place with your sewing machine.
I did this for fine organza and heavy satin for the hems of my wedding dress.

You can decorate with beading or thin ribbon on this type of finished hem as well, if you so desire. It all depends on your imagination!

Don't hesitate to go back to the Janome dealer for further help or instruction or assistance if you can't get the rolled hem to work.
They will want to see you succeed; as you will then have positive feedback to give others about their fantastic machine and after sales service.

Good Luck and I hope it all works out for you.

More
10 years 6 months ago #406137 by highgirl
Thanks so much for that BB... hopefully I'll get it sorted [;)] I get my mind set on something and want to jump straight in, so as well as trying to do the dress, (which I kind of completed good enough for her and just need to fix up) I was also wanting to make four other xmas gifts - all in one day!

I'm so looking forward to playing with it all and I'm sure I'll call on yours and others expertise on numerous occasions [;)]

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds