What to do with loads of saris?

More
10 years 7 months ago #405156 by kai
Replied by kai on topic What to do with loads of saris?
a few more

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #405172 by stephclark
kai they are beautiful.. i couldnt bring myself to cut them up.. i have one that is pale apricote and mauve with gold.. it is stunning and i dont have clue what to do with it.. i keep it stored safely and enjoy the feel and look whenever i take it out.. definately frame the lovely red one..
i thought curtain swags as well, i have seen this and it look great.. but they will fade, which seems a shame...
good luck with finding a beautiful use for them

More
10 years 7 months ago #405178 by kai
Steph perhaps we should just start a new fashion trend and start wearing them

More
10 years 7 months ago #405185 by Xartep
Have them made into skirts and tops, there is a NZ designer who did this Carly Harris and they are awesome.

Made into bias cut long skirts they are very flattering. I know someone who makes them for a lady who buys the saris off trademe.

I have several reversible wrap skirts made of recycled silk saris and they are fabulous. Bright and colorful, soft and super cool in summer. My biggest problem has been finding complimentary tops to wear with them.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
10 years 7 months ago #405189 by kaybe

Xartep;400955 wrote: My biggest problem has been finding complimentary tops to wear with them.

It's so hard finding free clothing these days [;)]

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
10 years 7 months ago #405190 by Lindeggs
Oooh they are lovely! And those are some really good ideas for re-using them too. What an imaginitive lot on here!

In addition to the suggestions already, here are some things I would do if I had them:

1) Use them for wrapping presents in the Japanese 'furoshiki' style. This would involve cutting up at least one of them, but if you were to do it carefully and hem the pieces they could be re-used many times by the recipients.

2) Use one as a table runner. Use a plain cloth as the main table cloth, then just use the sari cloth as a runner down the middle of a long table.

3) As a bedspread. As the cloth is so fine I would start by buying or making a plain bedspread then stitch the sari onto the plain spread to reinforce the fine cloth. You could make matching or complementary cushion covers to give your bed a really luxurious look.

4) On a similar theme to the curtain swags, you could make a bed canopy. You would need some kind of frame then you could simply drape the saris around the frame. If you didn't want to do the whole four-poster bed look (you would need a pretty big bedroom to to it justice!) you could just do it as a bed-head. If you didn't want to build a frame you could pin the saris to the wall above the bed and drape them elegantly.

I've seen saris turned into really stunning clothing and accesories too, and often thought of buying some just so I could use the wonderful colours and embroidery for things like bags, scarves, and trim on much plainer items.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
10 years 7 months ago #405202 by Xartep

kaybe;400959 wrote: It's so hard finding free clothing these days [;)]

haha !

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
10 years 7 months ago #405294 by kai
I like the idea of bed canopy, that would look stunning. It probably could be achieved with some metal loops screwed into the ceiling and some no 8 wire running between them.
The idea of a backing fabric for bedspreads etc, is a good one.

More
10 years 7 months ago #405320 by highgirl
they are beautiful! I to was wondering about having them made into tops or skirts?

More
10 years 7 months ago #405321 by Anne
I brought back a number of sari lengths from my last trip to India. As most people I know do not wear saris and the requests were for lengths of silk, they really did fit the bill. Friends and I made up skirts (with georgeous borders), blouses, and loose pants. Most of the clothing was worn out!!! Very popular and always lovely to wear.

I'd love to try some sari material (or silk lengths) to make up some of the 1950s dresses I am currently working on.

More
10 years 7 months ago #405323 by kai
Anne if you are interesting in buying any let me know and I can list what I have (there are a lot more than I have put pics up of). Prices would be reasonable and based on whether it has been worn or not as well. The orange, the black and jade and the first red wedding sari are ones I definitely want to keep.

More
10 years 7 months ago #406284 by Lilibeth
Have you thought about hanging them from the ceiling pinning so they curve like garland, like of like a harem theme for a room.

-Place mates for the plain ones or table runners

-Quilt, depending on your sewing skills of course

-drawer liners, one without sequins or beading to snag delicate lingerie.

-book covers

-apron

-hankerchiefs

More
10 years 7 months ago #406297 by greenfingers
If you had a four-poster style bed, you could use them for the curtaining that hangs from the posts. Beautiful, beautiful saris, I certainly wouldn't want to be parting with them either!

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

More
10 years 7 months ago #408106 by Belle Bosse
The fabric deserves being made into soft flowing dresses, skirts, tops and some used to applique onto jackets. Some of the crisper fabrics (silks) could be made into lovely suits or formal dresses. The more ornate could be used for featuring on the front of vests, the wide borders could be used on straight skirts. So many things you could do with them!
There should be some really nice patterns out at the moment with McCall, Vogue, Simplicity and Butterick. I was watching them last year on line. If you look them up on line, just remember it takes about 6 months for the fashions to reach Australia and New Zealand and be available here. So its worth taking a look in the new season's pattern books.
Make something nice to wear from the saris, dont hide them!!

I have some exquisite Thai silk skirts which I love wearing and cant imagine hiding away out of sight. Im supposed to be sewing some tops to go with them... so I better get to it!

Good luck figuring out what you want to do with them!!

More
10 years 7 months ago #408389 by Anne
Sorry, its taken me ages to get back to this thread. What width are they? I know that sari lengths are all one width, but can't remember what it is. The dresses and skirts I am making tend to be very full at the hem, so I need to make sure I have enough width so that I can have a pattern around the hem.

How much do you want? I guess if the price is right I could take one and see what I can make from it. It would be fun to work with silk again.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds