Ideas for Homemade Christmas Presents

More
10 years 6 months ago #29851 by thevarneys
I am pretty sure last year we had a thread running of everyones ideas for home made gifts. We are not into supporting 'retailism' - for many reasons.[;)]
  • So, this year we are making (we as in me and the kids) - hand creams/salves (just got to find a source of little jars)
  • Sweetened condensed milk
  • bath bombs (James Wongs recipe from Grow Your Own Drugs)
  • Chamomile plants - for people to make their own Chamomile tea from when they are bigger
  • Rosemary infused oil - for the guys on the BBQ
  • Pepermint Creams - got an easy recipe.
  • Lavender Wheaty bags
  • Punnets of vege and flower seedlings
  • Stained Glass Gingerbread stars
We have already made most of these, as the kids are selling them for their School Market Day (kids get to keep the money), and am sure we will have left overs - so our job is nearly done!

But any more ideas would be cool - I would love to learn soapmaking, and felting with wool. Any I would love to be able to weave a kete bag, a useful one that wont fall to bits.

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #403927 by jeannielea
I just bought ($3.50) a sweet little flower made from red and yellow wool. Crocheted with two sizes of rosette and two green leaves added below. I got a brooch back to sew on as my 5 year old granddaughter will love to wear it.
I've also made lemon cordial from the River Cottage recipe and also marinaded mushrooms because we have the wonderful Parkvale mushroom place at Carterton who sell boxes of seconds for $10. I get mixed spices from Binn Inn, add vinegar and sugar to taste, heat to boiling, add mushrooms and bring back to boil, then bottle as normal in sterile jars.

More
10 years 6 months ago #403935 by shad297
I love that idea, and have given homemade gifts in the past including preserves but it pays to be organised say a month or two before Xmas. I have some recipes for salves/creams but need to get some jars from Arthur Holmes (fantastic range if you can't source locally and very reasonable). Alas since I've become a Refugee Services Volunteer my spare time is rapidly disappearing, my family only arrived a week ago and we are very busy, oh well there's always next year.
We have been very 'consumerist' unfortunately for my 11 year old daughter, after 2 secondhand bikes (we love secondhand) that she has now outgrown we have just today bought her a nice Raleigh (I've still got my Raleigh from 1986) that should hopefully last her 3-4 years as she will be cycling to intermediate school next year. It was in a sale as we do like a bargain. Now to deal with the 14 year old boy who wants an iPod!!!?????

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
10 years 6 months ago #403945 by blimeyvicki
I was at Payless plastics in Manukau today and they have little lip gloss size pots. Obviously they are plastic rather than glass and I know there used to be a Payless in Keri? I saw a recipe for calendula salve the other day which looked really nice but I don't have any beeswax :(
I am making all sorts of hand made pressies this year. Mostly from the kitchen. BBQ sauce, dukkah, herbed salt (easy and cheap!), truffles, a loaf of bread, maybe some eggs for the townies. Personalises xmas decorations made from felt - easy peasy and cute too.

More
10 years 6 months ago #403982 by thevarneys
We have a plastic box which is a more expensive version of payless plastics I think - have looked a tthe $2 shop today - nothing. The vege shop makes homemade jams and has cute little jars but they wouldnt sell me any, and they buy by the pallet-load.
Herbed salt is a good idea - the kids can add that to their market day stuff.

More
10 years 6 months ago #403984 by Xartep
Arthur Holmes do one off sales, but I am not sure if they have a minimum quantity, the smaller pots cost between 60c - $1.50c each.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
10 years 6 months ago #403986 by Aria
Baby food jars?

More
10 years 6 months ago #403987 by homebirther1

blimeyvicki;399567 wrote: I was at Payless plastics in Manukau today and they have little lip gloss size pots. Obviously they are plastic rather than glass and I know there used to be a Payless in Keri? I saw a recipe for calendula salve the other day which looked really nice but I don't have any beeswax :(
I am making all sorts of hand made pressies this year. Mostly from the kitchen. BBQ sauce, dukkah, herbed salt (easy and cheap!), truffles, a loaf of bread, maybe some eggs for the townies. Personalises xmas decorations made from felt - easy peasy and cute too.

Would you mind sharing your recipe for dukkah? I love that stuff! :D

More
10 years 6 months ago #404013 by thevarneys
Baby food jars lids dont seal on properly - but have just looked at Arthur Holmes website and there is lots on there! Found some nice small amber ones for 50c each.

More
10 years 6 months ago #404047 by shad297
Here's one for those culinarily inclined and or access to nuts.
Vanilla Nut Honey Spread

1 cup hazelnuts (walnuts or blanched almonds work well)
1 vanilla bean (or vanilla paste)
1 cup creamed honey, softened but not melted

Roast nuts in oven 180oC for 10mins or until golden brown. Rub with tea towel to remove skins if using hazels, set aside to cool. Grind in a processor until they resemble fine breadcrumbs, split vanilla bean in half lengthways and scrape out seeds with tip of a knife. Mix together nuts, vanilla and honey.
Pour into sterilised jars, seal well.
You could gift with a an attractive spoon or honey dipper around the neck.
Makes 2 cups.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
10 years 6 months ago #404072 by Xartep
I just made some peppermint & chocolate lip balm for DD to give to her friends.

And a few trial pots of face cream, to test on my friends [;)]

Next will be the Gardeners Hand Cream & some Psoriasis cream for some friends with a chronic case.

I am also going to try James Wongs insect spray using lemon grass, but this takes a couple of weeks to age. I wonder if you can cook it to hurry things up.

And I found a recipe for infusing Jojoba with Vanilla the other day so that is on my "list" also as Vanilla is my favorite scent. I might try a different carrier oil though.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
10 years 6 months ago #404073 by Xartep
I was considering getting some little 20ml pottles like the ones the takeaway places put soy sauce or chutney into. They work out around 25 cents each and while not as pretty sure keep the cost down especially when it is a trial batch that you are giving away to your Guinea Pigs [;)][;)][;)]

More
10 years 6 months ago #404090 by thevarneys
If you are giving it to friends they could always return the jar/pottle for you to re-use. Do you make labels? What is Jojoba good for?

More
10 years 6 months ago #404096 by Xartep

thevarneys;399731 wrote: If you are giving it to friends they could always return the jar/pottle for you to re-use. Do you make labels? What is Jojoba good for?

Yes I was going to ask for the good glass pots back, however don't hold out much hope, my cider bottles disappear very quickly, as do the beer crates [:(!]:rolleyes: and you never seem to get your "good" jam jars back [B)]

I am also making some "trial" batches so don't want to use the "good" pots for this.

I plan to make labels, these are still in development. [;)][B)] Need a name for it :D Thinking of just numbering them [;)][B)]

My old printer was the type that the ink ran if touched with any moisture, but the new one (still in its box on the couch :p ) has different ink and processing so I should be able to print from home. Apparently you can get Warehouse Stationery to print with the right type to prevent smearing.

Jojoba is a liquid wax and has similar properties as skin sebum. High in Vit E, It is antioxidant and antibacterial so helps keep your creams for longer.

More
10 years 6 months ago #404175 by thevarneys
We need to get a printer :( just not hight on the list - the cheap ones have expensive ink!
Where do you get the jojoba from? Sounds good stuff.
I am just making a 'Plantain, Kawakawa and Manuka Honey UMF 13 from your 1-2-3 handcream. It will be useful for everything! Bites, scratches, nappy rash, dry hands, cold sores....

Time to create page: 0.308 seconds