Homemade Herbal Salves

More
10 years 8 months ago #29103 by thevarneys
Does anyone make their own herbal remedy creams/balms and salves? I am keen to learn how to make them, but the workshops I can find on the net are way south of here. I am going to look for a book with all the plants and their medicinal uses.

(opens up a new web page and starts searching......)

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #396407 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Homemade Herbal Salves
i have 'a modern herbal' by maud grieve. it is a pair of books, originally published a long time ago, but very comprehensive with descriptions, uses and folklore on hundreds of plants.

you can get them from amazon

More
10 years 8 months ago #396419 by 3 girls farming
I have a coopy of New Zealand Medicinal Plants (Brooker, Cambie and Cooper, ISBN 0790002507) which is interesting but doesn't explain about the making of the salves etc.. only which NZ plants would be useful in them.

More
10 years 8 months ago #396460 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Homemade Herbal Salves
Grow your own Drugs is a great book to getif you can - most of the Whitcoulls and Paper Plus stores carry them

More
10 years 8 months ago #396492 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic Homemade Herbal Salves
I think you can get the Grow your own drugs book suggested by KA on Flybuys if you have any of those.

More
10 years 8 months ago #396499 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Homemade Herbal Salves
JUST LOOKING UP FLYBUYS
And then I guess the next thing would be to source the plants, or grow some on our property so they are close by.

Do people use the herbs as a one off (ie steep kawakawa leaves and apply) or do they prepare salves and oils? I guess quicker to just make wha tyou need when you need it, but to have some prepared (if it keeps) would be handy too.

More
10 years 8 months ago #396501 by thevarneys
Replied by thevarneys on topic Homemade Herbal Salves
FLybuys doesn't have at present but Warehouse do, and Amazon, and it was also on TVNZ - a documentary series with James WOng. Also on BBC. Apparently the book tells you what time of year to plant, harvest etc, although that would be for UK I imagine.

More
10 years 8 months ago #396532 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Homemade Herbal Salves
Most of the herbs in the book can be grown here, and are readily available. The hardest part might be sourcing products such as emulsifying wax, although I was able to order some through Huckleberry Farms.

More
10 years 8 months ago #396557 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Homemade Herbal Salves
I make my own creams, lotions, & potions[;)]

I used to have extreme psoriasis all over my body and resorted to a home remedy as the stuff the Dr gave me made it worse. I now have about 4 small patches that I haven't treated (out of cream :p ) and all the scaring has gone.

The easiest method I have found is online called the 1-2-3 handcream formula.

There are heaps of web sites that have useful information. You can get a lot of the Grow Your Own Drugs recipes online also.

Culpeppers herbal is a good book to get. I found mine on trade me for a few $ but it can sell for heaps depending upon demapnd and the sellers knowlege of whether it is a good book.

I make either a herbal infusion in olive oil or rice bran oil, or a herbal tea as the base ingredients, and then add good quality essential oils and small quantities of other oils depending upon the objective.

I also use Borax, some don't like to (because its a chemical) and it is not essential but does have a preservative effect and is excellent for an emulsifier.

Only make small amounts unless you have a good quality preservative (grapeseed extract?) in your blend as the oils don't keep for more than a few months even if stored in the fridge (where they get forgotten).

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
10 years 8 months ago #396575 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic Homemade Herbal Salves
'Lotus Oils' based in Waipukurau (online) sell everything you need to make your own skin creams and lotions etc so good for emulsifying wax and beeswax also 'soapcraft.co.nz'. And as mentioned above depending on exchange rate I have found amazon.co.uk one of the cheapest places to buy books with no postage as well as The Book Depository.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
10 years 8 months ago #396585 by linda
Replied by linda on topic Homemade Herbal Salves
Be aware Grapefruit extract is itself preserved with paraben.
Small amounts of product to make balms etc can be purchased from Elinor at Go Native in Devonport.

13 acres in poroti,northland
www.justsoap.co.nz

More
10 years 8 months ago #397709 by 3 girls farming
Xartep... wow .. that's a success story in itself... what did you use to clear your skin??? I don't suffer but I've known people with psoriasis and it seems a devil of an illness to have... glad you've found relief

More
10 years 8 months ago #397874 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Homemade Herbal Salves

3 girls farming;392654 wrote: Xartep... wow .. that's a success story in itself... what did you use to clear your skin??? I don't suffer but I've known people with psoriasis and it seems a devil of an illness to have... glad you've found relief

I did a lot of research and uncovered several apparently key ingredients in a number of reputedly successful natural creams.

But I've got to say it was not just the cream that did it, that was only one of a combination of things that worked together.

I can't use any of the usual suspects with regards to soaps and laundry products. And once I found the ones that don't irritate me there was an almost instant improvement. Now if we walk down that isle in the supermarket DD complains about the awful smell :D [;)]

And I went through several bottles of Malcolm Harkers Vermexpel & General Tonic's. Which has a great reputation for treating Psoriasis, when they went into liquidation again last year I went into a major panic.[B)]

A healthy diet helps too.

Most people aren't willing to go to the lengths that I did to sort it out.

They want a miracle cure, that doesn't take any effort on their part.

The less irritant cleansers are more expensive.

The tonic regime and reducing favorite foods requires some discipline and many aren't prepared to give up their potato chips and cookies [;)][B)]:rolleyes:

They are often happy to try the cream, but often complain that it is "too greasy" so stop using it and put up with the horrid itchy smelly scaly lesions.[xx(]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
10 years 8 months ago #397936 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Homemade Herbal Salves
I, too, make my own creams, oils and tinctures. I use beeswax from my hives and it works a treat.

I second what Xartep writes - a cure isn't just using a cream or popping a pill - it is a disciplined whole body approach.

More
10 years 8 months ago #398409 by Cucs
Replied by Cucs on topic Homemade Herbal Salves
I make my own Calendula and Comfrey Salves I infuse the Comfrey leaves in Olive Oil for 30min+ on a low heat, take out the leaves after and add beeswax to solidify.

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds