Any pointers for making a CK bedspread?

More
10 years 9 months ago #28844 by SanCha
Hi ya,

We have a bed that's between a Super King and a California King and I'm having a tough job finding a bedspread for it (don't want a duvet). So I have found some gorgeous material and I'm going to blow the cobwebs off the sewing machine and scare myself silly. (this will be my first solo project).

Also going to try and make fancy pillowcases and maybe even some Roman Blinds!! My Mum normally helps me but she has passed away now and I'm not cheeky enough to ask my Aunties and stuff.

I've had a google and found all sorts of stuff but some of it conflicts with each other. Am I better to do it all in one piece (found some 280cm fabric) and not worry about doing like an inverted pleat (???) at the corners or not worry about the corners...or should I have a top separate to the sides??

It's gorgeous fabric...I'd hate to cut it wrong to start off with.[8D]

Simple is good right?

Ta
San

--
Sandy
1 K9 - Jazz, 24 Chooks, 12 Wiltshire sheep, 2 MGs heifers & 1 very friendly MG steer and 2 cats - Monty & Meg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393413 by kaybe
Sounds like a fun project San. I have very little sewing experience so I can't give you any pointers, but hopefully someone here can :-)

I'll look forward to seeing pics of the finished project.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
10 years 9 months ago #393426 by grannie Mary
Hi San what is the top measurement of your bed

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
10 years 9 months ago #393434 by Hawkspur
Make sure you measure over the top of your pillows for the width and fall of the bedspread at the head of the bed :)

More
10 years 9 months ago #393520 by SanCha
LOL.....measurements are 203 long, 186 wide and 64 deep (yes it's quite high!!)

Now I need to go back and measure to cover the pillows I guess LOL. I have actually bought the material and I'm currently procrastinating by hanging out on here rather than putting the machine on the table and getting into it!!

The material is actually 300cm not 280cm so that's even better. I'm going to have to run it sideways (works fine with the pattern) Height wise it means 186 + 64 = 250 leaves me 50cm for the extra I need to cover the pillows. I'm not going to do a reverse sham (or what ever it's called) I just want to cover them straight and then I'll make some matching fancy pillowcases to toss on the top and if I have enough fabric maybe a euro pillowcase also.

I was going to make some skinny roman blinds to go either side of it also so the lady talked me getting all the stuff I need to that too so I guess it's either going to be bloody awesome or a bit umm....well....I'm going to think positively and say it's going to be bloody awesome!

KayBe..I will post some pics...wish me luck!!

--
Sandy
1 K9 - Jazz, 24 Chooks, 12 Wiltshire sheep, 2 MGs heifers & 1 very friendly MG steer and 2 cats - Monty & Meg

More
10 years 9 months ago #393522 by grannie Mary
186 wide on top plus 2 drops of 64 = 254 floor to floor

203 headboard to end of bed plus 64 to floor = 267

plus pillow turnover. I would cut that as a seperate piece & sew it right side to wrong side, as your pillow cover. It would wrap over the pillows
it only needs to be wide enough to cover the pillows & will look tidier on the bed as the main spread then covers the whole side of the bed

Can you understand that??

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
10 years 8 months ago #393573 by SanCha
OMG..I'm glad you posted I nearly got my width and length inside out LOL. I have cut my fabric and overlocked it then we had visitors so spent the afternoon having coffees and a catch up with a girlfriend.

I'm not going to do a turn back for the pillows I'm keeping it as simple as poss so I'm going to just cover them with the bedspread...I did think seriously about the turn back but figured I'd have to do something with the drops either side so it didn't hang different height from the main piece.

I think I'm off and racing now, might even get it finished tonight...them just have to work out the fancy pillowcase side of it :)

S

--
Sandy

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds