Making a wooden spoon (which timber?))

More
10 years 10 months ago #28179 by The Gardna
so I need a new wooden spoon (as you do sometimes)..and the one at the super market was "made in China".. i just couldnt /wouldnt buy it..mainly thru concern about what the wood had been impregnated with etc.
soooooo in true Kiwi fashion "ill make my own"..then came thoughts of what type of wood to use so that it didnt taint the eg cheese sauce or the tamarillo chutney.
anyhooooooo what is the best wood to make wooden spoons etc out of??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #385784 by Lindeggs
I've just bought a new wooden spoon. :( I wish I was the handy type and could make my own! :)

Anyway mine's made of beech. I would imagine any wood would do, as long as it wasn't too smelly or too soft. I'm sure most sauces and chutneys would be improved by a little bit of fresh woody smell. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
10 years 10 months ago #385789 by grannie Mary
kahikatea/white pine
thats what butter boxes used to be made of as they didnt taint the butter

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
10 years 10 months ago #385799 by Hawkspur
I have heard that black poplar is good for not tainting food as well, but I don't know if it is dense enough to make a strong spoon. It could do a spatula though.

More
10 years 10 months ago #385867 by sod
Any hard type wood not soft resinous ie:not pine Mac.I have old pallets made of hardwood about right thickness too now you have had my idea I didnt think of :)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
10 years 10 months ago #385920 by dmschnarr
Biscuit King has made all my wooden kitchen gadgets (spoons, mallets, rolling pin, chopping boards, etc) and they are all made of pine. I believe pine has an antiseptic nature to it. If they need a really good clean then I just rub a cut lemon over it and if I get a sunny, warm day leave them outside to dry. I'm not sure about hardwood and with pallets...do they treat the wood?

More
10 years 10 months ago #385921 by dmschnarr
Biscuit King had made all my wooden kitchen 'tools' (chopping boards, mallets, spoons, rolling pin, etc) and they have all been made from pine. I believe pine has an antiseptic nature to it. If they need to be cleaned, other than the usual manner, I just rub a cut lemon over them, rinse and if I get a sunny, warm day (as if!) I let them dry in the sun. :) Hope that is of some help. Cheers! Dianne

More
10 years 10 months ago #386029 by kai
the wood should be seasoned ie dried. It doesn't matter if it is resinous as long as you do that as the resin will have dried out of it.
I would not recommend using any wet wood for a spoon as it will split once made.
obvious ones to avoid are any toxic ones Ngaio, laburnum, ivy etc

More
10 years 10 months ago #386063 by Leonie
Hi, um, just curious....Would totara be ok to use?

'REGRET IS A DULL AND RUSTED BLADE'

More
10 years 10 months ago #386075 by sod
I think it would be great IMHO

More
10 years 10 months ago #386088 by Leonie
Thanks sod :)

'REGRET IS A DULL AND RUSTED BLADE'

More
10 years 10 months ago #386097 by thevarneys
Kauri is a good choice. There are some woods not suitable for food/heat (like jam making etc). I can't remember them but can ask Dad - he makes our breadboards/wooden spoons etc (or provides us with the wood). i think under heat the resins can leach a bit and taint.

Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

More
10 years 10 months ago #386183 by delstafz

The Gardna;379468 wrote: so I need a new wooden spoon (as you do sometimes)..and the one at the super market was "made in China".. i just couldnt /wouldnt buy it..

so how much did they want for that wooden spoon made in china
woot first post too :p
hi all

More
10 years 10 months ago #386318 by sod
Hi delstfz and have fun :D It would be cheap but why not make your own they are simple to make and can cost nothing

More
10 years 10 months ago #386338 by kai
why dont you see if you or your neighbours have some old fence batons spare. Ours are made from totara and although initial appearance they look old and manky, once you cut them in half you realise the inside timber is absolutely wonderful to work with. The dark red colour is amazing.

Out of interested how were you going to make the spoon? whittling?

Time to create page: 0.266 seconds