Astrakhan Vintage Coat

More
10 years 11 months ago #27943 by shad297
I have my mother in law's first overcoat circa 1955, a wool and mohair green size 12-14 made in England. It is in very good condition but I am not sure what to do with it. Doubt it is worth very much and haven't tried selling it anywhere yet. It is really heavy to wear, but there might be someone out there who would be interested in it. Would any of you have any ideas?
(mother in law was having a clean out and thought I might be interested)

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #383489 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Astrakhan Vintage Coat
Heavy wool = Warm. I have a NZ Army greatcoat that I wear for skiing and for working outside on especially cold days. I think it's WW2 surplus, or maybe Korean War. It always gets favourable comments on the ski field. It weighs as much as three blankets but it keeps me warm and kind of dry even when it's wet. Do you ski?

More
10 years 11 months ago #383496 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic Astrakhan Vintage Coat
Hi Igor, no I don't, but I think it would be a bit cumbersome for that as it's is quite long and one probably doesn't want fabric flapping around speeding down the piste!

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
10 years 11 months ago #383529 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Astrakhan Vintage Coat
Sew yourself a 1950s dress and wear them together! Would look great withmy dress that I've just made :D .

I have an even better idea. I think you should throw it out - I will make sure that it is appropriately disposed of if you would like[;)].

More
10 years 11 months ago #383683 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Astrakhan Vintage Coat
Sounds like just the thing for standing on the sidelines of hockey/netball etc at 8:30 am in the middle of winter :D :D

I have been given an old Otago sheepskin jacket just for this purpose, what a godsend.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
10 years 11 months ago #383694 by shad297
Anne, unfortunately I don't sew! but you have just reminded me I do have a friend of that size who likes vintage clothing and Xartep I count myself lucky that my kids have never played sport early mornings on the weekend - brrrrrr! would've made husband go anyway as I do all the after school ferrying around.

More
10 years 10 months ago #384442 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Astrakhan Vintage Coat
My mother has a vintage squirrel coat and at 95 is devastated that her granddaughters (MINE) are all saying no to wanting the coat. It is gorgeous but a) we don't get that cold up here and b) my girls have been raised in a generation of being told (not by me with farmed fur) that wearing fur is a total no no. So - what to do with the squirrel coat?

More
10 years 10 months ago #384473 by igor
Wearing fur is just the same as wearing leather. I don't see anything wrong with it.

More
10 years 10 months ago #384483 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Astrakhan Vintage Coat
igor too true in some countries shooting squirrels is a good thing like possums here and now watch the fur fly, also I used to have an army great coat for on the motor bike great warm coat it was too.

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
10 years 10 months ago #384490 by Lindeggs
Replied by Lindeggs on topic Astrakhan Vintage Coat
I have my dear old aunt's very real-looking fake fur jacket. I love wearing it and having people ask if it's real, then having the discussions that follow. An excellent conversation-starter at parties!

Shad297, I know a lot of young women who would kill for a green wool overcoat from 1955. Some charities do clothes-swap evenings as fundraisers, or run auctions of quality vintage clothing, so donating it to a charity could be one option.

Also if you've ever seen the stylish ladies at "frocks on bikes" events I'm sure you could imagine your coat on one of them! I know one gorgeous woman who rides an old-fashioned upright bike, with a basket of flowers on the front. In winter she always rides in vintage skirts, wool stockings and long boots. Stunning!

I think you will find your coat is more popular than you think. ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Missing my lovely chooks

More
10 years 10 months ago #387118 by Jenna
Replied by Jenna on topic Astrakhan Vintage Coat
Shad, have you found a home for the coat yet?

I'm a designer (currently without a workroom because of the quake) and have recently developed a fascination with 50s fashion. I'm collecting dressmaking patterns from the 40s and 50s, and when I get my workroom back I plan to have my 9 favourite patterns set up framed on the wall as an art installation and have my dress form set up wearing a gorgeous outfit.

If you haven't re-homed or otherwise disposed of it yet, I'd love to give the coat a new place!

More
10 years 10 months ago #387166 by shad297
HI Jenna, no I haven't done anything with it yet. Maybe we could sort something out. I could certainly send you a photo if you PM me with your email address.

More
10 years 9 months ago #389046 by igor
Attached files
File Attachment:

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds