Sewing vintage clothing.

More
12 years 10 months ago #383234 by 3 girls farming
there is a lovely website called Stitchbird fabrics which has some really interesting vintage style materials.. see to be mainly cottons but nice for summer.. might be suitable for what you are sewing.. I love the stuff that Spotlight advertise but often it's not available instore which is anoying.. I particualrly like paisley's but they don't always have them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #383236 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Sewing vintage clothing.
I think its finished! Great ideas for the finishing touches. I think I could wear it with or without the belt now. I haven't tried it on and looked at myself in it with the red on! The belt may be a bit too wide, but that is easy to fix.

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

More
12 years 10 months ago #383238 by Anne

3 girls farming;376628 wrote: there is a lovely website called Stitchbird fabrics..... I love the stuff that Spotlight advertise but often it's not available instore which is anoying.. I particualrly like paisley's but they don't always have them.

The Stitchbird fabrics are soooo expensive though! And I'm never sure if the colours will be the same. Spotlight are good - but as with everywhere and one of the reasons I've started sewing my own again - all the fabric is really lightweight. I wanted fabric with some weight that would drape nicely, without showing off every bump and curve[;)].

More
12 years 10 months ago #383245 by dazhan
Replied by dazhan on topic Sewing vintage clothing.
At the risk of creating a stampede in all my local op shops - this can be a really cheap alternative to buying fabric. I have recently picked up a skirt in a gorgeous print for $ 1.50 !!!!!! It is couple of sizes too big and had a really ugly trim on it which I have removed but when I finally get around to it and take it in at the sides - everybody will want one!! I also started to make a dress ( not yet finished !!!) for my 12 y o daughter out of an old long skirt of mother's. I think in the war years ladies didn't have any new fabric so they fashioned new stuff out of whatever they could get their hands on including old curtains!! All it takes is a little imagination. Incidentally the middle photo on the last posting looks absolutely brilliant - good for you!

More
12 years 10 months ago #383251 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Sewing vintage clothing.
Really like both the trim and the belt, Anne. Well done - looks just lovely.

I chuckled at the comment about making clothes out of curtains. Didn't Scarlett O'Hara and Julie Andrews do that in Gone with the Wind and The Sound of Music? :D
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 10 months ago #383255 by grannie Mary
Dont chuckle too much Mich, Mine was made out of brocade curtain material from Millers, so much cheaper than bridal fabric & I dont think anyone noticed

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
12 years 10 months ago #383315 by Mich
Hi GM - don't worry, I wasn't chuckling at the concept of using curtain material - just the memories it brought back. I'm all for reusing fabric, particularly as a quilter - it's part of quilting history :D

I'll bet your wedding dress looked absoultely beautiful in brocade. [^] And even your saying you bought it from Millers was a great memory jog for me. I grew up in Christchurch and fondly recall the Millers store there - it had ... oh my goodness ... an ESCALATOR!! What a kid magnet in those days. [8D]
Cheers, Mich.

More
12 years 10 months ago #383433 by RaeM1
Replied by RaeM1 on topic Sewing vintage clothing.
Our local dump has a shop and recently I picked up an evening dress with a waist of all beautiful crystals sewn on, I brought the dress for $5 and took off over $50 value of the crystals off it. The dress was a plain blue satin, which I may be able to use the material somewhere in my quilting creations. Also at one of the local redcross shops picked up a black organza (spelling ) frock that was sprays of beautiful gold and orange bead work from the neck right down to the bottom of the hem, unfortunatly its only in a size 6 so will not fit me, but will see what I can do with the sprays of bead work on some of my tops that I wear when we go dancing every fortnight. So its a good idea to do the op shops and keep your eyes open to possibilities of what you can do. The dump shop had some lovely cotton with animals on it, like pigs sitting on a fence and cows, so at $1.50 that came home with me as well. Even if I use it for charity quilts, at least its being used.

More
12 years 10 months ago #383490 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Sewing vintage clothing.
Yes RaeM1. There is a shameful waste of useable items in many countries. Our local dump had a free day once and I went with stationwagon and trailer empty and came away with them full. What is the answer to this waste of resources? Even in these times of so-called hardship people are just so wasteful. Does no-one remember the great depression of the 1930's?

More
12 years 10 months ago #383530 by Anne
I am wearing my dress at work today. Have had a number of very favourable comments and a couple of double takes :D . Also three (THREE, count them) requests for dresses to be made for other people. That's quite a few in the space of a couple of hours. (I only start work at 10:00 am on Wednesday). Seems that there're lots of people who can't find what they want - and its really difficult to find winter dresses.

I wonder if I could keep myself sewing dressed for people. Naah, not with the income I'm getting currently, and then I wouldn't enjoy sewing my own.

More
12 years 10 months ago #383620 by Mich
Way to go, Anne - neat to hear those lovely comments coming at you. Well deserved!
Cheers, Mich.

More
12 years 10 months ago #383652 by grannie Mary
Naah Anne---- once you start sewing for others you get the funny shapes to try & fit (& make them look slimmer) & they dont want to pay what it is worth

Just enjoy your talent, others can also make the effort you have made, & isnt it great to be able to afford to be different

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #425331 by SheSews
Replied by SheSews on topic Sewing vintage clothing.
Check out www.patternpostie.co.nz they have some good deals on patterns including some vintage patterns that have been reprinted.

More
12 years 1 week ago #425505 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Sewing vintage clothing.
I dunno what made me look at this thread today, but geez, if the rest of your designs are as lovely as the one in the photo, I am jealous! Some stuff never really goes out of style, to my mind anyway (but I confess to being a bit old-fashioned!), and I have always loved that look. Wish I'd kept up with my sewing. Years and YEARS ago I used to make my own clothes, some quite tailored, but with life/marriage/kids/farm, no more time (and in this tiny house, no space!).

More
12 years 1 week ago #425524 by Anne
Winter's here again so now I have time to do some sewing again. Have about 3 - 4 dresses planned. I have also partially completed a silk blouse - but really want to loose a little weight so it looks better.

I have no kids and no OH but do have a farm, am taking on a swag of Kaimanawa ponies to handle, starting my thesis, competing horses and ponies. I have a 4 b/r house that I rattle around in except for weekends when its full up - but I can leave my sewing machine out most of the time so its easy to do a little bit whenever I have time.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds