Sewing vintage clothing.

More
12 years 10 months ago #382851 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Sewing vintage clothing.
These are photos. First lot are photos of the 1950s dress and the pattern it is made from. I want some ideas on how to "lift" it. I think it looks a little Victorian! Its fully lined, bodice with ordinary lining and skirt with a heavier one. The material itself is cotton and quite light. I wanted a winter dress - but this may be too dreary!!

Last photo is a 1960 pinafore made in heavier corduroy. I really like wearing it - waist is slightly lifted and loose. I don't really like tight things around my waist so this suits me well.

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #382864 by kaybe
Replied by kaybe on topic Sewing vintage clothing.
Hi Anne, firstly let me say I think you are terribly clever, I'm a dreadful sewer and could never have done this!

I see what you mean about the first dress, it does rather remind me of that movie "The Governess". [;)] I think perhaps you could use a wider belt in a colour which really breaks it up, like bright red or white patent leather. A wider belt makes the waist look more nipped in. I like the example with the white brooch (?) at the throat, I prefer that to the ribbons which make it a bit too school uniform-ish. Maybe a more lush bow would negate that, more like the fullness of a cravat but tied in a big floppy bow, very 1950's (or was it 60's?).

How hard would it be to redo the collar in a different colour, like white? I'm guessing you don't want cuffs on the sleeves for ease of movement, but white cuffs with a white collar and belt would look cute. Of course, you could add a faux velvet lace-up bodice over the top, with a row of little buttons down to the 'cleavage', and you'd have a nice Bavarian style outfit! Or take the sleeves off altogether, and wear it sleeveless over a contrasting long sleeve T, with a belt to match.

I like the corduroy pinafore. Lovely blue. My mum made one back in the 70's, probably from the same pattern. Hers was an ugly fawn though! :D

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
12 years 10 months ago #382878 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Sewing vintage clothing.
I would be tempted to wear a bright red long sleeved merino underneath and bright red tights [;)] Or the Merino and a very wide belt of the same color and tights similar to the dress. Don't do top/belt & tights as that would break everything up too much.

Or maybe a colorful waistcoat over the top.

Or Bright patent leather shoes and very chunky bracelets and big baubley necklace(s) all in the same bright color.

Avoid white as it would make you look nursey.

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 10 months ago #382889 by Anne
I did think about changing the collar and putting cuffs to match on. I considered making it grey to go with the colouring in the material - but then thought about the Nurse / governess look. I can't really wear long sleeves - infection control is an issue. I like the idea of the big bow - only had the scrap of scarlet to give an idea, so I'll do the big bow and open it up for critiques again!!

Maybe I could do the collar and cuffs in red? Or put red edging around the collar - is that 1950s? I could make a belt up with red edging - has to be wide, do red edging on the collar and cuffs. How does that sound?

More
12 years 10 months ago #382899 by kaybe
OK, the magic of Photoshop, here goes:

I wasn't sure if you meant the red edging to be on fitted cuffs. It looks a bit medieval on the wide ones, I think. Maybe it would be better on just the collar and belt.

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

More
12 years 10 months ago #382916 by Anne
Oh, very clever Kaybe. I quite like the red edging. It would be easy to do on cuffs and a belt.

More
12 years 10 months ago #382921 by kaybe
Glad to be of service! (What else is there to do on a miserable day like today, lol).

I took the red mannequin out so as not to confuse the eye :-)

More
12 years 10 months ago #382958 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Sewing vintage clothing.
Hi Anne - I have absolutely no style sense whatsoever, so I can't offer any suggestions on the first dress. However, I just love what you've done and agree with the others that you're very clever. What a talent/skill to have!!! Wish I did. And I do like the 2nd one very much - can think of lots of ways to wear that. Final comment on the pics ... WOW - LOVE THEM.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 10 months ago #382968 by kaponga
Replied by kaponga on topic Sewing vintage clothing.
I'd have to agree with everyone so far; just wow. They look amazing, and I also like the red edging. Don't have any suggestions, other than I like false lacings, normally on sleeves, cuffs or over pleats. A little fiddly to put on, but normally something that makes people look twice without being in your face. I'll take a photo of a shirt that I made out of an infamous bridesmade dress if you are interested and I'm not explaning well.

What I don't understand why clothing manufacturers think that all women want to wear pastels, pink or brights? On the occasional year when there have been neutrals colours in the shops I was flat broke.... so I make my own more formal clothing too. Thats when you can get me out of jeans and boots :)

More
12 years 10 months ago #382989 by Anne

kaponga;376336 wrote: I'll take a photo of a shirt that I made out of an infamous bridesmade dress if you are interested and I'm not explaning well.:)

Yes, please.
When I started this a few months ago I just thought I was endulging my own eccentricities. But how can it be eccentric when so many other people like it and get fun out of it too?

Come on everyone,dig out your old stuff and get them on! What about a LSB 1950s get together?

More
12 years 10 months ago #383008 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Sewing vintage clothing.
I suspect, Anne, that you'll bring about a whole new trend with your clothes and get so many compliments from people. Just look how excited we all are to see them - so different, so beautiful, and I reckon you'll be a vision of loveliness for many, specially older people who think such designs were gone forever.

Kaponga, I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day, but in relation to slippers, of all things. You'll probably all laugh at this, but I was thinking how much I'd love a pair of the slippers my grandfather used to wear - the sort that were part leather, part wool fabric, had decent outdoorsy soles - sort of like boots - and zipped up the middle. Very practical, warm and do you think I can find anything like them? Nah. Men's slippers (Jan's excepted, cause they're amazing and I love them) are generally much more robust and warm. Couldn't give a fig for the fluffy cutsey rubbish that gets passed off as women's slippers.

And yes please - I'd love to see your bridesmaid shirt :-) I'm loving this thread (no pun intended), LOL.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 10 months ago #383019 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Sewing vintage clothing.

kaponga;376336 wrote:
What I don't understand why clothing manufacturers think that all women want to wear pastels, pink or brights? On the occasional year when there have been neutrals colours in the shops I was flat broke.... so I make my own more formal clothing too. Thats when you can get me out of jeans and boots :)

My biggerst bug bear is that its hard to find any clothing that isn't BLACK GREY or RED :p [xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(] So very very boring...

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
12 years 10 months ago #383043 by Robinsons Folly?
Anne,
do you use an overlocker or just a sewing machine?

Three Piggies, Four Chooky Babes, Randy the Roo, Hubby and Me. [:D]

More
12 years 10 months ago #383072 by Anne
I only have a sewing machine. Never used an overlocker but would love to try. I finish all my seams by machine, except when for instance I've lined a bodice - don't finish those seams.

I got my sewing machine (a Swiss made Elna Stella) for my 18th birthday. At one time I sewed all my clothes - suits, dresses, jackets etc. I even sewed riding jackets and johdpurs. I didn't have a mannequin at that stage though, so making fitted clothes was really hard. Mannequin makes that all better. My sewing machine has never broken down. I think its had 3 services. I also use it to sew horse hoods, tails bags and to repair the odd summer weight sheet. I use the air compressor to give it a bit of a blow out and then go back to human stuff!!!

More
12 years 10 months ago #383162 by Robinsons Folly?
I like the idea of the overlocker sewing and finishing all at the same time, but a common issue with me is that I have to undo things to re-adjust, and that will prevent that to some degree. :D :D

Three Piggies, Four Chooky Babes, Randy the Roo, Hubby and Me. [:D]

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds