Knitting socks

More
11 years 3 months ago #26712 by jeannielea
Knitting socks was created by jeannielea
Are there any sock knitters out there? I've had a hankering to start for a while now and needing to use a Whitcoulls book voucher led me to find a gorgeous wee book called Blendy Knits Socks. Now I have discovered there is a sockyarn shop in Greytown so I'm rushing to finish a crosstitch so I can have a go. I'd also like to know what handknit sock wearers think of them? The blended colour wools are lovely.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #370623 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Knitting socks
Hi Jennielea, I used to knit socks, and they are really nice to wear, all the males in the camp wore them to death, as there was not a lot of nylon in them so the feet don't sweat the same. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
11 years 3 months ago #370631 by Jen - Featherston
Replied by Jen - Featherston on topic Knitting socks
oooo I have tried to knit socks but me and 4ply + 3 kids, horses, cows, jobs and husbands didn't go well together LOL

James from Joy in G town is fab and has some lovely yarns to knit with. I love my hand knitted socks (gifts from friends) my fav yarn for knitting them would be vintage purls - so so soft but durable and well wearing.

Sign up to www.ravelry.com if you have not already and then search for joy of yarn and sign into their group. There is a sock knitting club every second friday and a kitchen tea on a sunday and HEAPS of lovely ladies and gents meet to knit socks you will love it!

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
11 years 3 months ago #370643 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Knitting socks
Yes, I've knitted socks out of the yarn you can buy that is multi coloured and comes out like fairisle. I think it is a German make. One ball does a good sized pair plus enough left over for a pair of baby ones, or some fingerless gloves! They are soft and comfortable to wear-I've done two pairs.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 3 months ago #370688 by Jen - Featherston
I think this yarn is called self striping Sue :) (although doesnt just come out in stripes it does come out like fairisle)

More
11 years 3 months ago #370800 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Knitting socks

jeannielea;362375 wrote: Are there any sock knitters out there? I've had a hankering to start for a while now and needing to use a Whitcoulls book voucher led me to find a gorgeous wee book called Blendy Knits Socks. Now I have discovered there is a sockyarn shop in Greytown so I'm rushing to finish a crosstitch so I can have a go. I'd also like to know what handknit sock wearers think of them? The blended colour wools are lovely.

The wool/embroidery shop in Masterton also has sock wool of all sorts. [Love that shop]. MIL has knitted many many pairs over the years. OH still has some, but getting pretty worn now though. He loves them.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
11 years 3 months ago #370802 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Knitting socks
i recently learnt to crochet and am making a pair of socks for hubbie, they are looking very nice... i have yet to learn to knit.

More
11 years 3 months ago #370819 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Knitting socks
And here's me thinking that hand knitting socks on four double ended needles was a lost art. I've got one pair of hand knitted socks left. They were made by my mum's mum over 30 years ago and are still good. She used to make socks for all the family. I only use them for Winter bedsocks though because they suffer from the common hand knitted sock problem of slipping down in one's boots.

More
11 years 3 months ago #370858 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Knitting socks
I knit socks - mostly for the kids because they are smaller and happen faster (the knitting not the kids!)

have a couple of different patterns i use and my use of wool varies a bit but it is always a specific sock yarn.

I like the self patterning ones and depending on the type of wool and the size of the sock they come out striped or fairisle

I love animals...they're delicious

More
11 years 2 months ago #372995 by Iniuk
Replied by Iniuk on topic Knitting socks
I'm a sock knitting addict. I use 2 shortish circular needles and knit from the toe up. I absolutely second what Jen - Featherston says about Ravelry, it's great. Apart from the joys of wearing them, they are easy to carry around and soon finished. I have 2 cardys languishing, but the socks get completed.

More
11 years 2 months ago #373032 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Knitting socks
Just got the needles today. Still haven't finished the cross stitch but could not wait any longer!!( it's a birthday present so will have to divide my time) I got 4 needles as thought I would learn about sox before learning about circular needles! I got the wool from J.O.Y of Yarn but had to get it posted as they are only open Saturdays. But they are moving to Masterton so maybe they'll open here. Beautiful wool so I'll look forward to visiting the shop.

More
11 years 2 months ago #373033 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Knitting socks
I saw lots of lovely different sock wool in a shop in Feilding this week. Makes me want to get out the needles again too!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 2 months ago #373052 by BHGS
Replied by BHGS on topic Knitting socks
I've just been looking around ravelry, its a fantastic site - thanks for the suggestion. I'm all inspired to start a pair of socks tonight! :)

Cheers
Hilary,
Just me, partner and son, suburban backyard chooks (3), cats (2) veggies (variable) and weeds (eternally thriving)[:p]

More
11 years 2 months ago #373089 by Jen - Featherston

Iniuk;365260 wrote: I'm a sock knitting addict. I use 2 shortish circular needles and knit from the toe up. I absolutely second what Jen - Featherston says about Ravelry, it's great. Apart from the joys of wearing them, they are easy to carry around and soon finished. I have 2 cardys languishing, but the socks get completed.

Yep thats my fav method of sock knitting too - on circs I use magic loop.

I am yet to try using 2 circs or knitting two socks at once using magic loop.

I have so many sock designs waiting on my rav LOL

More
11 years 2 months ago #373272 by welshie
Replied by welshie on topic Knitting socks
I have knitted one pair of socks on 2 needles :) - after trying to work with 4 needles drove me completely nuts! They're knitted with self-striping sock wool. How does everyone wash their hand-knitted socks? So far I've only tried hand-washing.

welshie

Don't worry about what people think...they don't do it very often.

Time to create page: 0.325 seconds