Does anyone do Tunisian Crochet ?

More
11 years 11 months ago #23654 by ccrk9
I saw a couple of mentions in old craft books about Tunisian crochet and had never heard of it - but them my crochet/knitting skills are very very basic....and last week I got a neat book out of the llibrary on how to Tunisian crochet - looks like its coming back into fashion like many hand crafts.

I did a dozen stiches on the plainest hook I could find and taught myself and worked simple stich, purl stich and knit stich. I found I like the look of it AND it seems simple enough for a person like my self with "challenged" [:I]
abilities for anything involving doing rows and keeping an eye on stiches....

Just wondered what others have made out of this method of crochet - thought I might start by doing a simple rug once I get a proper hook.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #337510 by Iniuk
I have tried this years ago- like crochet it makes my hands sore and I don't much like the finished texture, but I have seen lots of rugs done in it- they seemed pretty heavy but very warm. I made a hook by whittling a bit of dowelling I think.

More
11 years 11 months ago #337540 by ccrk9
thanks Iniuk. I wondered about my hands as I find knitting or crochet hurts a bit these days as I'm getting quite arthritic....but then working in the garden hurts as well!

I think patterns have been up dated as the book I have has patterns for a scarfe, a shawl, both of which look quite light and lacey. There is a skirt which is something less of a fashion statement!! and a couple of tops which are ok. Plus patterns for household items including rugs and a cube foot stool which my cats would love for claw sharpening! I might try a rug I think just for something different.

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

More
11 years 11 months ago #339673 by Iniuk
Yes, all fibre handcrafts are brilliant for cats. Carded wool for sleeping in, a loom with WIP as a hammock, and knitting or crochet makes a great sustitute mouse. And then the finished objects, yum!

More
11 years 10 months ago #340178 by digby
I have seen it done, I am hooked on crocheting. I ususally do freeform

Bye
Digby [:)]

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds