Hand sewing polar fleece fabric

More
12 years 5 months ago #21897 by Tessa
Has anyone tried hand sewing polar fleece fabric? I've got a heap of different colours that I thought I'd make up into a neat stylish jacket for the winter but with haphazard colours (no, not Joseph's technicolour dreamcoat!), but as I get totally peeved off with my sewing machine and I'm actually a better hand sewer than that anyway, I wondered if hand sewing this would work. I'm about to experiment with it, but just thought I'd ask the question here to see if anyone has tried hand sewing polar fleece.

Or maybe I'm mad!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #316446 by Hawkspur
Go for it if you are a good hand sewer! :)
The thickness of the fabric may make keeping a consistent tension on the thread from stitch to stitch difficult, but it should otherwise be fine.
Did you know that all haute couture must be hand sewn? You can have your own fleecy haute couture :D

More
12 years 4 months ago #316666 by Mich
That sounds like a wonderful jacket in the making. Love Hawkspur's comments re haute couture.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 4 months ago #317647 by OldMcDonalds
Hand-sewing should be fine on polar-fleece, but remember that it stretches in at least one direction, so make sure that your stitching accommodates that. How about top-stitching in blanket-stitch with a fancy thread on overlapped seams? Some photos when you're done?;-)

2 cows, 1 steer, 1 calf, 2 milking goats, 2 Romney wethers, 2 of Inger's ewes, 4 alpacas, 5 large horses, 4 minis, 30 chooks, ducks, 2 turkeys, 2 pigs+ 1 piglet, 2 dogs, 4 cats, bees & 7 humans!

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds