Anyone used/has a Horn sewing cabinets ?

More
12 years 5 months ago #21625 by RainbowPeacock
I'm interested in these amazing sewing cabinets, especially the Sovereign MKII. However I was wondering if anyone has any of the sewing cabinets made by Horn and how they find it.....

Any info or thoughts welcome :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #313170 by Mich
Hiya - I need more room to spread around (I'm such a messy sewer [:I]), but they do look just the cats whiskers, don't they? I'd kill for a table area that would allow me a flat bed surface. I think these cabinets would be really ideal where you had a limited area to work in and/or needed to keep all your stuff together and able to be hidden away at short notice.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 5 months ago #313217 by Hawkspur
I have one. Love it.
It is so quick to set up to do small jobs and I can tidy things away very quickly (from my cat who chews cables and threads).

It is an older model and from looking at their website may be the Mark I Sew mate. The lift for the machine is great. In hindsight I would also get the option of the custom fitted flush inset that can be used on the middle of the three height settings. It means the arm of the machine becomes one with the work surface.
http://www.horn.com.au/products/horn/sewing/

Go for the Sovereign if you do a lot of sewing, or have an overlocker, just for the extra room.

More
12 years 5 months ago #313223 by Robinsons Folly?
I have an old singer sewing machine cabinet minus the machine. We blocked up the gap where the machine would have risen up from underneath, and coupled with the opening fliptop lid, it works quite well. I also put up a card table next to the setup if I am wanting a bit more spreading out space. I would LOOOVE a Horn though. They look gorgeous

Three Piggies, Four Chooky Babes, Randy the Roo, Hubby and Me. [:D]

More
12 years 5 months ago #313252 by RainbowPeacock
Hmmm, thanks for the advice. After ringing some shops I found that apparently these cabinets are now made in China, and the person who was importing them decided to no longer do so (something about the quality). So finding them in shops now in NZ is going to be hard :( . There are a few still around though.... :) . However I have found some other cabinets, but none of them seem to have dealers in NZ.... 'Kangaroo Kabinets' and 'Arrow cabinets', both of which seem to be the same company or something ??? :confused:.

The design of the horn cabinets seem to be really well thought out though.... and amazingly compact - and I'm sure very handy !

Does anyone know of any other companies that have dealers in NZ that have cabinets similar to the Horn ones ?

Thanks !

More
12 years 5 months ago #313257 by Hawkspur
Some websites still seem to think they are sold here - but could be out of date...
http://www.berninachristchurch.co.nz/cabinets.htm
http://www.sewingdirect.co.nz/hornintro.htm

More
12 years 5 months ago #313600 by Istrian
My understanding is that there is very little - if any - stock left in the country but more may be coming from the Australian manufacturer in February. I know that www.sewingdirect.co.nz have their finger on the button. Perhaps you should make an inquiry with them.

More
11 years 7 months ago #356384 by RaeM1
I picked up one from an auction house, for $90, have looked at the equilivent one on the horn list, and I would be paying about $500 for it new, its fantastic, I use it all the time, and yet when we have farmstays, I can put my sewing away quickly and there is no sign that I have just had the room in a mess. My one does not have a sewing machine lifter on it, but really I prefer to be able to put my machine in the bag I use to take it to quilting classes, and it would be a bother to have it attached to the horn cabinet all the time. My one only opens at the top, with two flaps, and the front doors open and clip to the flaps, but that gives me a heap of room. I love it, and tis the best thing I have brought for myself, other than my daylight lamp that I brought to be able to see at night, when I am doing fine work. Its probably the baby sized cabinet, but it is very good for what I need it for, and the room taken by it is very small. They were selling them at the big craft fairs, so I think that there is more available in NZ now.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds