Melbourne Cup hat help

More
12 years 8 months ago #20631 by DiDi
Melbourne Cup hat help was created by DiDi
OK this is where I have to own up to not having a creative bone in my body with things like this so I need your help. I have a "DO' to go to on Tuesday and there is a prize for the best hat. I have no intention of winning - just taking part to avoid the frowns.

Now this does not mean the fancy ones that are worn AT the races but a home made one - probably daft - possibly clever. Anyone - any ideas? Remembering one rule - keep it simple - as with crafts I am a total dimwit!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #302874 by Jen - Featherston
hmmm got a theme? what is your outfit? colours? do you have a craft store close by?

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
12 years 8 months ago #302922 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Melbourne Cup hat help
Jen - you are already making it hard laugh. No theme - just a get together for the Melbourne Cup. Outfit - was planning to sort that when I had an idea for a hat. Not much choice in my wardrobe! Black pants or skirt with various coloured tops. Yes to craft shop - Spotlight in Manukau.

More
12 years 8 months ago #302968 by DiDi
Don't think about this again. I just found out it is the most flamboyant hat so off to Spotlight tomorrow to get something and my lovely artistic daughter has said she will make it for me tomorrow night. Yeah.

More
12 years 8 months ago #303000 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Melbourne Cup hat help
work is having a do on Tuesday and I was asked what hat design I would be wearing.....:rolleyes: me thinks I will just roll up in my black crash riders helmet, suits the occasion eh and I bet no one else will be wearing one!!!!!

More
12 years 8 months ago #303034 by Jen - Featherston
simple Didi, you can get facinator bases from spotty, paint it gloss black, get some black feathers, and perhaps some silver beads, ric rac etc (just grab a bunch of stuff) and using a hot glue gun get sticking! :)

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
12 years 8 months ago #303043 by DiDi
Thanks Jen for your help. Believe me - daughter will make a far better job of it an she told me to get a fabricator. Combs, ban or whatever - hell I must get off the farm more often.

Swaggie - dare you to temp glue a pink veil on the front and a feather on the side! Have a fun do!

More
12 years 8 months ago #303178 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Melbourne Cup hat help
I had a peek at the fancy but fun do's the other ladies are wearing tomorrow, saw the braces and heard about the leather waistcoat the manager is wearing, so I am thinking of raiding Erin's toy horses and placing them around a brimmed hat and go from there if I don't do the helmet idea. (Perhaps a bit of road kill on the way to work tomorrow might provide some last minute additions?:eek::eek::eek: :D :D :D :D :D [;)])

My spare sewing fabrics (and I have a lovely pink number with pink stars on it) are still in storage until the sleepout gets built, so its make do with whats to hand.

should be fun though!

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds