Let's get crafty!

More
14 years 5 months ago #302653 by DebM
Replied by DebM on topic Let's get crafty!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who "dabbles" in lots of crafts! I'm a jack-of-all-trades too.

In the last 12 months I have been taking some drawing and painting classes and a few jewellery making ones.

I can do the basics of knitting and sewing and sculpt a little. I can life-cast, cross stitch and bake. I have made ceramic dolls before - a very long time ago! I like mask making too. Have entered the Body Art Awards in the masquerade category for the last 3 years. I would like to learn to crochet and mosaic too.

Sometimes I think it would be much easier if I could stick to one hobby but I think I have a short attention span! (Probably why there are quite a few UFOs at my place too... I'm always so excited about the NEXT project I have to do :o). I am trying to discpline myself to finish what I start at the moment... easier said than done.

My current projects on the go are: a wire wrapped necklace, a Monet style painting/collage, a tiger painting and sewing some baby clothes (due end Feb 2010 :) ).

At least I have accomplished something today and took my husband and his workmates fresh cheese scones for morning tea and will make my niece some pretty earrings for Christmas tonight at Bead Class :D .

I would love to see photos of some other people's projects!
Cheers
Deb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #302685 by PepperGiz
Replied by PepperGiz on topic Let's get crafty!
Cool Deb, I would like to learn to mosaic too. Your bead class sounds like fun.

I finished a cross stitched bookmark for my girlfriend today, will try to load a pic of it later. Have done small cross stitch works before, forgot how time consuming it is!! Finsihed now though thank god.

Next gift for her will be a miniature scarecrow and my daughter (4) will help me so it'll be something we can do together.

More
14 years 5 months ago #302745 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Let's get crafty!

DebM;286271 wrote: Sometimes I think it would be much easier if I could stick to one hobby but I think I have a short attention span! (Probably why there are quite a few UFOs at my place too... I'm always so excited about the NEXT project I have to do :o). I am trying to discpline myself to finish what I start at the moment... easier said than done.

I am glad it is only me, I love starting new projects, but bad at finishing them. Wood turning is the only one I have a lot of finished objects fom as you can have one done and finished in half an hour or so.

More
14 years 5 months ago #305692 by Escargo
Replied by Escargo on topic Let's get crafty!
:D I like to cook if you can call that a craft. When my kids were little (hmmm all 20 odd years back) I used to make most of their clothes and now I am getting back into sewing, just made a lovely summer dress for a December wedding, very chuffed with myself. I have done a few photography classes and bought myself a DSLR camera. My latest "craze" is scrapbooking and I go to a tutorial class each month. And my other main interest would be my vegetable garden.

The only problem is there is just not enough hours every week to do everything, especially when I also work full time

More
14 years 5 months ago #306328 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Let's get crafty!
Well done to all of you. When my children were small, I to used to do everything for them (sewing etc) and crafts etc but having produced an incredibly arty daughter ( I'd like to think some credit goes to Mum) I have totally lost my mojo where creativity is concerned. Lack of energy being the main problem and the ease of sitting and reading a book - which is my main passion in life (outside of my animals and property) plus crosswords. Mental note - get off you derriere Di and get back into it!

More
14 years 5 months ago #306364 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic Let's get crafty!
Currently I have on the go, my quilting classes that I go to, plus I am doing a scrapbook for a 45 year old daughter who has done some incrediable things in her lifetime so far, with showing horses, Massey uni, and also including being runner up sharemilkers of the year for NZ in 1995, then shifting to Ausi, and farming over there, and now a rural bank manager over in Tasmania, that is also with bringing up two children, and the whole family is heavily involved with lifesaving over there, so her scrapbook is not hard to fill up with some really amazing things. I have told her, I will not be posting her xmas present for xmas as they are all coming over end of Jan, so will give it to her then. Its turning out so good, that I dare not post it, in case it goes astray!! With a really great photo of her wedding day, and I even have her grandparents wedding photos in it and some amazing photos of her great grandma on her dads side. Plus of course catching up with xmas cards, having guests in, waiting for a mare to foal, due in 4 weeks time, and the general having a life, and enjoying ourselves. So this is what retirement is supposed to look like? ?

RaeM

More
14 years 5 months ago #306503 by gemini kiwi
Replied by gemini kiwi on topic Let's get crafty!
I have been into fibre/craft art for many years. Do any of you catch the carol Duvall show side 8 Tuesday mornings at 9.30?. They usually have a feature artist for a short segment I quite enjoy watching it.
GK

More
14 years 5 months ago #306599 by Escargo
Replied by Escargo on topic Let's get crafty!
So Didi are you inspired yet to start a project. I too find lack of energy a bit of a problem, especially in the winter when it is easier to just grab a glass of wine (or three) and blob in the evenings after work. But daylight saving has fixed that (and banning the wine until weekend evenings). I plan to get all the mundane stuff done in the evenings and then I can have ME time on the weekends, that is when elderly parents are not wanting things done for them. And NO I did not produce crafty children, they can't cook to save themselves and my daughter wouldn't know one end of a sewing machine from the other and as for growing veggies - veggies what veggies !!! Kids huh.:rolleyes:

More
14 years 5 months ago #306608 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic Let's get crafty!
My mother always worked on the idea that what if!! something happened to her, and I also worked on that idea, so my girls all grew up being able to cook and sew, and thats all because a friend of my mums got cancer and died very quickly, leaving 3 girls that had not really learnt too much from their mum, and I dont think it hurts any kids no matter what age to learn to cook, and do mundane things around the house. Our eldest could cook a three course meal by the time she was 10, as we had a big busy florist shop, and a lot of late nights because of funerals, I would still be working at midnight doing wreaths. Plus we lived 8 miles from town, so they could not just go to the shops and pick up fish N chips. Surprisingly after all of that hard work they turned out to be very good adults.

RaeM

More
14 years 4 months ago #310111 by PepperGiz
Finally got round to uploading some photos today. So here are a few of my projects lately...

A cross stitched bookmark I made for a friend

Some little jars of choc coated peanuts we made for DD's kindy teachers :D

And some jars of "cowgirl cookies"..... basically all the ingredients are in the jar, just add egg and a couple of other ingredients (has the baking instructions on the back)

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

More
14 years 4 months ago #310115 by Nora
Replied by Nora on topic Let's get crafty!
I used to make fimo animal jewellery and sell it on TM. It was a lot of fun. I don't know where the time goes now really.

More
14 years 4 months ago #310144 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Let's get crafty!
Peppergiz how do you make the choc raisins? Obviously you dip them in choc but how do you set them without getting a spot where its all dripped off? Are there some tricks?

More
14 years 4 months ago #310179 by PepperGiz

jeannielea;294666 wrote: Peppergiz how do you make the choc raisins? Obviously you dip them in choc but how do you set them without getting a spot where its all dripped off? Are there some tricks?

When I say we made them, we didn't make the chocolate...hehehe. we just bought a whole stack from the bulk bin store, and put them in recycled baby food jars, put some ribbon around them and added a little xmas tag.

Sorry to dissapoint! [:0]

More
14 years 4 months ago #310410 by gemini kiwi
Replied by gemini kiwi on topic Let's get crafty!
Peppergiz, they look lovely, great idea about the cookie mix layered up in a jar ready to go. (are you going to share that recipe, ?) Did you catch the Christmas show on channel 8 with Kirsty, it was homemade all the way and on over 3 nights.
I make all my pressies each year, tiring but fun.
best wishes,
Tess

More
14 years 4 months ago #310421 by PepperGiz
Thanks Tess

The recipe for the cookie jars is here www.bakerella.com/mix-things-up/ They have some gorgeous looking baking here...yummmm

No I didn't see the christmas show, wish I had though!

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds