Let's get crafty!

More
12 years 8 months ago #20447 by PepperGiz
Let's get crafty! was created by PepperGiz
Just had a look in here for the first time to find just ONE thread on quilting? What's with that? [:0]

I'm sure we are a bunch of very talented gals (and guys), who do more than just quilting (no offense to the quilters lol)

So.....what else can you guys do that's crafty?

Me.....I have been known to do a bit of painting on canvases, but since having 2 young kiddies, I don't really get to do much these days. I love sculpture and would really like to give that a go at some stage. Recently I've been trying to make my own bread from scratch (no breadmaker)....most have been ediable! lol A long time ago I did a carpentry course, so can whack together a few pieces of wood, haven't done anything overly creative with that though :) Not really much of a sewing godess, although I'd like to learn. And I love home DIY, does that count as a craft???

On another note, I was hoping to find some ideas here. Me and a girlfriend of mine have decided to do a craft swap once a month. We have a small cardboard box, and when we catch up once a month we're going to take turns putting something in the box to give to the other. The rules are 1) it has to be homemade, and 2) it has to fit in the box which is approx 20cm square. She has the box first so I'm looking forward to my first surprise soon! hehehe It can be a nice surprise, something edible, something funny, whatever we like....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #300975 by Robinsons Folly?
Replied by Robinsons Folly? on topic Let's get crafty!
I do cross stitch mostly. Lots of patterns and kits, many UFO's. (Unfinished objects). Some tapestry and stamping. Love to do some quilting too; have some patterns and a stash of fabric, but haven't yet sat down for any length of time to put it all together.
;-)

Three Piggies, Four Chooky Babes, Randy the Roo, Hubby and Me. [:D]

More
12 years 8 months ago #300977 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic Let's get crafty!
Hmmm, Iike to do lots of things really. i have taught myself to knit over the last few months. I have been making bread as well by hand and it is so yum and easy and my family will love me for ever if I keep it up (fresh cinnamon swirls for breakfast anyone!!!). I have done a little bit of painting in the past - I can sew but dont like to unless I have to. Nowadays most of my artistic efforts goes into helping my kids with various school/craft projects etc. My daughter is very arty and it takes a lot of time to keep up with her! I like to bake and it is something I can fit easily into my schedule and is much appreciated by all.

More
12 years 8 months ago #301150 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Let's get crafty!
BC and BF (farming), I used to have time to devote to crafts, and took a lot of pride in making everyone's Christmas presents myself, something different every year, following various themes. No time anymore, though I have piles of supplies stored out in the barn (in case I have time when I 'retire':rolleyes:).

Now, I express my craftiness/creativity in my gardening and in my food. Nothing fancy, just productive and delicious. [^]

TBH, when I saw the "Crafty Place" forum, I can't imagine anyone on an LSB having a lot of 'free' time!

Andrea
Oxford

More
12 years 8 months ago #301192 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic Let's get crafty!
I find its great to get out some knitting when its really bad weather outside, and nice and warm inside, plus when the TV has something that is not that interesting to watch. Over this last winter I have knitted 3 adult woollen jackets for my 3 daughters, including one that has a hood on it as well, now looking at patterns for an 8 year olds jacket, as I have enough wool left from the hanks of wool to make his jacket, and then again hubby wants me to think about doing him a warm jacket for next winter, I use Wanaka Station 8 ply wool and its so lovely and warm, and looks so good knitted up, that you always feel good in anything made using that wool. I did a jacket for myself the winter before and even outside on new years eve in Tasmania at the local surf club evening, I did not get cold. So jackets have gone to North of Sydney, Tasmania and one here in Hamilton.

RaeM

More
12 years 8 months ago #301201 by Jen - Featherston
Replied by Jen - Featherston on topic Let's get crafty!
ooo I knit, sew (and quilt) and scrap book, really want to paint again but like yourself with 3 kids (6, 4, 1) and 3 jobs and 3 horses + farm that leaves pretty much evenings ;p

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
12 years 8 months ago #301223 by dmschnarr
Replied by dmschnarr on topic Let's get crafty!
I love hand craft and I have recently learned how to spin some of our fleece. Pretty lumpy bumpy stuff to start with but I've finally got the knack and have spun and twisted a 2 ply good enough to knit. This past winter when it was too cold to do anything other than the usual chores I started a rug with a hessien bag base and strips of old brightly coloured t-shirts. Still working on it but it looks pretty good I must say. My greatest passion however is mosaic. I do decorative as well as fine art mosaic. I am involved with a newly formed group called The Catlins Co-op Art Gallery and we have started to visit the art and craft markets, conduct workshops in our special areas (mosaic, felting, lead lighting/mosaic). Mosaic seems to be a mystery to most people in my area so I am finding it great fun discussing mosaic and basically 'teaching' people how to see and understand this wonderful art form. Once I can figure out how to post pictures I will put some up for everyone to see. Postive and negative comments most welcome. Peppergiz....thank you for getting this site going again and I love the idea of a craft exchange. Too bad you are so far away as I would love to participate.
Cheers!
Di from Kai

More
12 years 8 months ago #301267 by Castle Peak
Replied by Castle Peak on topic Let's get crafty!
I like to decorate on canvas (not sure I could call it art) and have just re done a large canvas that will hang in the lounge when we've finished. The first version was done while I was recovering from illness and pictured a dark place in my head. OH insisted on hanging it up and visitors used to scratch their heads and politely ask if we'd actually paid money for it! This one is lighter, brighter and definately better. [:I]

I love home DIY too. When I met my OH he was shocked to find I had a bigger tool shed than him, and that I could actually use (most) of the tools. I'm enjoying jazzing up second hand furniture. I bought a cheap tall cabinet from TM last year and it now looks like a shabby french armoire. Next project is a heavily varnished chest of drawers, which will be stripped and repainted for the spare room. On saturday I picked up an old wooden ladder which I'll sand back and use as display shelves.

I'd also like to try making stuff from chicken wire, have seen an idea for heart shapes, with shells and beads wired in.

I can't sew my way out of a paper bag (although I've tried at various times in my life) and I'm in awe of people who can. I have great ideas for furnishings and a stack of fabric that I just look longingly at, including some lovely fabric to make cushions with, but can't bring myself to butcher it. If anybody knows some who can make cushion in HB, please let me know.

I love to bake and that always goes down well as gifts, especially at xmas.

Would love to try mosaicing (sp?) and may well have a go next winter. Di I'd love to see some pictures please.

It's lovely to give and receive something hand/home made in times where every thing seems to be mass produced in China/Taiwan. An afternoon wandering round a craft fair is heaven and I'm always on the lookout for a little stash of handmade gifts as emergency pressies.

More
12 years 8 months ago #301377 by NancyF
Replied by NancyF on topic Let's get crafty!
oooohhh blimeyvicki... cinnamon swirls ... I know this is the crafy space but receipe please!!!!!!... and then I will continue in the correct vein.. I quilt, knit, cross stitch, embroider, sew, make jewellery, try to make pictures - usually with things glued to them - and just generally potter around doing what ever takes my fancy at the time... I try very hard not to have UFO's sitting around but sometimes that just happens... One year I got a huge box, filled it with all the UFO's I could find and put a date 6 months in advance on the front.. anything left in there unfinished would go in the bin at that time.... got the lot done!!!!!.. nothing like a threat to speed things up.. mind you that was prior to husband, children, lifestyle block, business and general madness kicking in... !!!!

More
12 years 8 months ago #301436 by blimeyvicki
Replied by blimeyvicki on topic Let's get crafty!
OK then Nancy I will post the recipe - even give you a link to the blog that I got it from, I love this blog and check it every day, I like to think of it as my secret but I will let you in on it!! It is from an American woman called Suzanne McMinn and her blog is about her life in rural west virginia where she has a lifestyle block. Here is the link:
http://suzannemcminn.com/blog/2009/03/26/overnight-cinnamon-rolls/

I do always add the egg/oil and extra sugar. The oil and egg make a more kind of chewy sweet kind of bread which is how these rolls should be (in my mind anyway!). Happy eating.

More
12 years 8 months ago #301503 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Let's get crafty!
When I get the time and inclination...cross stitch, quilting, patchwork, home made preserves, just learning spinning and felting ( good way of getting rid of spinning mishaps), woodturning, painting my 'art ghekos (wooden garden ornaments painted in the style of different artists), knitting (especially victorian knitted lace) and about to learn how to weld so I can make some more garden sculptures.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
12 years 8 months ago #301515 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Let's get crafty!
Well we bought this place for the lifestyle, I wanted all the time, to grow my plants, do embroidery, make my own clothes (with the whole trunk of material that I have accumulated over the years), spin and weave with the loom and wheel I was given oh and the wood turning.
I have spent about 3 days turning wood since I bought this place, a couple emobroidering and a couple of weeks making curtains, but that is it, have the time

More
12 years 8 months ago #301659 by kaponga
Replied by kaponga on topic Let's get crafty!
There are a couple of other threads in here, it's just that they are older now, and have dropped off the bottom, if you like. Try adjusting the settings on what you are viewing on the bottom right of your screen. Well, I think thats where it is :rolleyes: not entirely sure.
I've tried most crafts over the years; the latest is spinning. Was given a spinning wheel, and are slowly starting to produce some that resembles yarn more than anchor chain. My problem is what to do with all the finished article? I don't particularly enjoy knitting, and it's going to be a long time before I get to the point where what I'm spinning could be used in a loom - going to get one of those I think... have a friend who wants a home for hers.

Problem is summer is looming, and so is preserving season. Been trying for over a week now to get a batch of lemon honey made from the over abundance of eggs we have. Tis good to be busy :D

More
12 years 8 months ago #301691 by Kiwismum
Replied by Kiwismum on topic Let's get crafty!
I have been known to do all sorts of things. Lately it is quilting, and I am about to embark on a machine embroidered quilt. I also do all the other usual things i.e. knitting, breadmaking etc, and for something completely different I use to make porcelain dolls and have been thinking it is time to get the kiln going again.

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
A person only gains light
by bringing light into another's life
www.dreamforthree.co.nz/

More
12 years 8 months ago #301705 by PepperGiz
Replied by PepperGiz on topic Let's get crafty!
Now there you go, I knew we were a talented lot! So interesting to read what everyone does.

Need to start posting some photos of our handywork!

I got my first homemade gift from my girlfriend yesterday....it was a small jar of homemade bath salts, made with milk poweder, epsom salts, bicarb soda and a few other things. With a little handwritten card and a bow around the lid, really lovely. Will be trying it out tonight!

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds