Quilting questions?

More
12 years 6 months ago #317214 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic Quilting questions?
Thanks, you will have a PM there!! I managed to get some orange, red, and yellow from Spotlight, $8.99 a metre, so will have a think about doing Applique on it, by the way I have one more block to do for the other quilt I have been working on, as because I brought that really lovely Orential material, we are going to just cut it in half longways, and then incorporate the blocks with it, and off set the two pieces of material, as its too nice to cut up any more!! will deffinatly have a go at doing a picture once its finished.

RaeM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #320225 by quilter
Replied by quilter on topic Quilting questions?
Hi Mich
Finally have been able to catch up again. Not frowning just grinning.
I started using polyester fabrics and still have the first effort. Then did a class with a lady who had lived in Japan for a few years and came home with a container fairly full of yukata fabics, that started the love affair with Japanese fabric, now have a good friend who sells Japanese fabrics, but I have resisted so far. Then went down the road of making quilts with an African theme, bit of heritage coming out there. Do also do contemporary pieces when I need to. At the moment I am doing as I call them my recession quilts, started with mens woollen suit samples and tied them with buttons, my next effort will be checkered tea towels cut up and re stitched as you do and flour sacks on the back. Am working full time now but try my best to get some stitiching done. Am thinking of starting a group in my area in the evening to keep the creative juices flowing. I do enjoy reading everyone's quilty news :)

Mich;294280 wrote: Jeez, Swaggie, :rolleyes: - I can imagine your face when he told you :D

So, Rae, have you gone wild with a credit card ordering fabric from overseas yet? [;)] It never ceases to amaze me how many gazillions of designs there are out there. Imagine if you had storage to burn, a bottomless bank account and all the time in the world to quilt??? I used to feel guilty (well, sometimes still do) about the amount of fabric I've collected over the years. Tried telling myself that a quilter needs a suitably wide pallette of colours, but even that started to wear thin. Now I just own up to loving having lots of it and seeing and touching it all. My "retirement'" or "great financial depression" collection is my latest excuse. I can see Quilter frowning at me. :(

Quilter, if you're still watching this thread - you said you'd been quilting for 25 years. I'll bet there have been a lot of changes in the quilting scene since you started. Would love to hear more about your quilting and quilts.

Cheers, Mich.

More
12 years 5 months ago #320254 by Kiwismum
Replied by Kiwismum on topic Quilting questions?
Mich I have done the quilt as you go method. I made a Celtic quilt as my very first quilt. I took a class and it we sandwiched and quilted the blocks as we went and then joined them all together at the end.

The quilt is now pride of place on our bed, and has stood up to use for over a year now.

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
A person only gains light
by bringing light into another's life
www.dreamforthree.co.nz/

More
12 years 5 months ago #320467 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic Quilting questions?
Well have one more block to do then can put my first quilt together, I am looking at flying Geese as the next block. Have just been on google, and found the right sized pattern for the block, now to cut the templates out, using the lovely clear strong plastic containers that my printer inks come in. (you know the type, that even good sissors have trouble cutting so that you can get the inside stuff out of) Then put the whole thing together! I am lucky as the lovely material I managaed to get from Grandmother Garden with the crane birds on it, we have just cut in half longways, and will place blocks above on one side and below on the other side, then once I have it together, will take a photo for all you folks out there waiting to see the finished project. Well! that is without the back and etc.

RaeM

More
12 years 5 months ago #320470 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Quilting questions?
I was on a school excursion today to Waihi, went past a quilting shop called something like ..... and cream.

does anyone know of it and is it worth a visit when I get another day off to visit quilting shops south of me?

More
12 years 5 months ago #320494 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Quilting questions?
Hi Quilter, Kiwismum, Rae and Swaggie. Just catching up on stuff after having our mailbox stolen (they came prepared with a crescent wrench, unbolted it, nicked it and replaced the bolts!!!!!) and have been busy emailing, phoning and writing to the world to let them know our new PO Box no.

Quilter, it sounds like you're one of those really really clever artistic quilters. Such an eclectic range of quilts - they'd make a way cool exhibition, I reckon. I've seen pictures of some of the Japanese quilts - they are a knockout. Can you still get flour sacks???? Wow, that would be so neat on a 1930s-type quilt. Just from reading your description of the fabrics you use reminds me of Katherine Morrison's quilts where she uses old (and often worn out) blankets to create prize-winning quilts. Very inspirational.

Kiwismum, thanks for the feedback. Can you describe a bit more about how you joined the blocks? Did you use strips on either front or back to hide where they'd been joined? Was it easy joining the blocks together?

Congratulations, Rae - your first quilt!!!! That's so fantastic. I do hope you post a photo - it seems from your description that you're also going to be a quilter that thinks outside the square when setting their blocks. And so early in your quilting lifetime as well - bodes well for the future :D

Y'know I've been thinking about this whole creative thing lately. Some people just have the knack for doing the unconventional and it's a skill I really wish I had. My problem is that I always seem to have a quilt on the go for someone else and there never seems to be the time to start with a bare surface, no preconceived idea in mind and no time limit. It's like I'm always trying to make something that I hope the recipient will like, rather than taking a completely fresh approach and just grabbing an idea from somewhere and running with it. I've heard it said that some people find it successful to work in a series, with each new idea building on the last one. Have any of you ever done that, and how did you find it? I just have this need to break out of what I've been doing, but with at least 2 more quilts promised to other people it might be a ways off.... :(

No, haven't heard of that quilt place, Swaggie. That's another thing that bugs me (must have gotten out of the wrong side of the bed this morning, LOL). I'm forever wanting to take time out to go and visit quilt shops. The new Nancy's store in Thorndon, Minerva in Cuba Street, and a few others around the greater Wellington area are all on my "to do sometime" list - just that I never seem to be able to say "OK, today I'm going on a quiltshop trek" without feeling guilty about doing it. Let us know about this new place if you check it out, Swaggie.

Off to start the day...
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 5 months ago #320518 by Kiwismum
Replied by Kiwismum on topic Quilting questions?
Mich there are a number of ways you can join your blocks with the quilt as you go method.

Heres one. Sew the quilt top blocks together in the normal manner. Make sure you don't catch any of the other layers in it. Use some very light fusable interfacing to join the batting, stitch to ensure it stays stuck. Press one of the seams on the back on the block and stitch down by hand.

Another way is to just sew them all together with a binding type fabric strip down the seam. Trim and then hand stitch the binding.

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
A person only gains light
by bringing light into another's life
www.dreamforthree.co.nz/

More
12 years 5 months ago #320681 by quilter
Replied by quilter on topic Quilting questions?
Hi Swaggie
Would that be Patches and cream in Paeroa?
100 Normanby Road
Paeroa

Phone 07 862 8139

More
12 years 4 months ago #321526 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Quilting questions?

quilter;306309 wrote: Hi Swaggie
Would that be Patches and cream in Paeroa?
100 Normanby Road
Paeroa

Phone 07 862 8139

yes that be it!

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds