Quilting questions?

More
12 years 6 months ago #313607 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic Quilting questions?
Your quilt blocks all sound really lovely, it will be amazing to get the whole thing finished. I had a look at the Quilting shop in Cambridge today, they had some really lovely finished works hanging up. Lots of ideas of what to do in the future. Did not buy anything, as had other half hanging around outside the shop as other halfs do.

RaeM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #313609 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Quilting questions?
Hi Rae - oh you are soooo disciplined at not buying anything. Not sure I'd be able to resist just one little FQ :D

My quilt is coming together, but the blocks are pieced on the diagonal which is a bit of a challenge. Not so much piecing it, but trying to keep the setting triangles around the edge from stretching. The small stars have to be set in a particular order and so far I've managed to stuff them up twice. This quilt sure is a test of patience and persistence.

So how did the show go?
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 6 months ago #313715 by RaeM
One of our horses that we bred got Champion gelding and Supreme Champion Horse, the other gelding in the line up was also one we had bred, he got reserve champion gelding, , the champion mare (full sister to reserve ch gelding )was one of ours also, we actually own her, but have leased her to a young girl to ride and do what she wishes with her, so out of 8 horses in the Appaloosas 3 of them were our own breeding, Champion stallion came from Whangarei, and also another couple of horses came from another stud near Whangarei, they all did really well, Plus there was two other horses from near hamilton. I was stewarding, and the first horses in were Morgans, they were quite nice, but the handlers had not had much experience, and were mostly young girls, so did not show the horses off to their best. The Appaloosas were beautifully presented, and well shown off by the people leading them, and the judge was really impressed with them. After that she went on to judge the Non Studbook appaloosas,( they are ones that cannot go into the main studbook), there were two in that event, then she judges the shetlands, some were really well presented, and others looked like they had just been pulled out of the paddocks, and when the judge asked the children handling them, the horses names the kids did not have a clue. The supreme Shetland was a mature stallion, who was beautifully presented, and you could see yourself in his lovely balck coat. Boy I was tired at the end of the stewarding, as the day was so hot.

RaeM

More
12 years 6 months ago #313802 by Mich
What a brilliant outcome for you Rae - well done and big contrats :D You must be feeling very happy. I really enjoy going to the shows, and am planning to get back into it this year, all going well. I don't normally get to see the horses, but the times I have seen them, they all look very smart and I can see the attraction. Love the way the owners/people showing them seem to get dressed up as well. You don't get that with sheep....[;)]

Cheers, Mich.

More
12 years 6 months ago #314128 by Jen - Featherston
*waves* I've finished Miss Milly's quilt - its done in Michael Miller/Sandi Henderson Ginger Blossom prints - and I had a go at my own stipple quilting!!! Free motion!!! its not as hard as it seems (she says after doing on tiny cot quilt)

will find a way to upload some piccys :)

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
12 years 6 months ago #314145 by Mich
Jen - mate, you'd BETTER post some pictures, girl. :D Lovely to hear from you m'dear . Well done on the stipple quilting - I enjoy doing it but I need to get my bottom (or top, I can never remember what the cause is) tension sorted so it doesn't have these little dots of the top thread coming through. Of course, it would help if I used the same thread top and bottom, but easy isn't a word in my vocab, it seems. I've been known to use a micron fabric pen to colour in the dots on the reverse of a quilt before now!!!! [:0]

Looking forward to seeing the pics (and yours, too, Rae).
Cheers, Mich.

More
12 years 6 months ago #314798 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Quilting questions?
i have been avoiding this thread. quilting always seems to cost me more than what I am looking for, but heck its Sat arvo and reading doesn't cost eh!

My neighbour/teacher back in NSW sent one of her quilts away to be finished and a tip I learnt from her was to ask whether it was a smokers household or not.

More
12 years 6 months ago #314863 by Mich
Hi Swaggie - yep, know what you mean about quilting not being a cheap hobby, but it can be if one has the inclination. Trouble is that there are so many glorious fabrics around, and new ones coming up every day it seems, that one just wants a bit of them all....

I worked on the basis that when I had money, I spent a ton on fabric and supplies (I can't admit even to myself how much I spent). Now that I don't have any money, I have enough stock to last me through gazoodles of quilts. I couldn't bear having no money and no fabric. Nowdays I tend to buy, say, 2-3 metres of background fabric if I need it or a special theme fabric, and use my stash for the rest. Amazing how you can delve into the bottom of the baskets and come across fabric you'd forgotten you had. Or that you say to yourself "what was I thinking?????".

OK - a question. Have any of you quilters out there tried the quilt as you go method? I'm thinking more in terms of quilting pieced blocks, rather than strips sewn on to batting/backing. I got Marti Michell's book on Machine Quilting in Sections but I can't quite figure out from the text/diagrams how it goes. I'd love to try it as a way to save money on sending out for long-arm quilting and the tediousness of trying to manipulate large quilts through my domestic machine.

Cheers, Mich

More
12 years 6 months ago #314915 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Quilting questions?
Mich I am the same, I have bought the same fabric 3 times and brought it home, washed it and hey there are the other 2.....

I have a good stash as well but its all still packed away in international packing just waiting for things to finish here for me to unpack my sewing gear and books.

I just cannot wait!

More
12 years 6 months ago #314929 by Mich
...I have bought the same fabric 3 times and brought it home, washed it and hey there are the other 2.....

Swaggie!!!! - you're ADMITTING that??????[:0] [:0] [:0] [:0] :D

Hehehehehe.
Cheers, Mich.

More
12 years 6 months ago #316549 by RaeM
looking for ideas!! Grandson is into Surf Lifesaving in Tasmania, and now he has made murmers about a quilt that would suit his room!! I woud think that most of it would have to be done with Applique, and the colours are not that easy to get in Quilting places, Grandmothers Gardens did not have a plain yellow, or the orange, red that the outfits are made of? Also looked at Donnas Quilts, so when I get a chance will go out to Spotlight, and fabric warehouse to try to get some material, but the ideas I need are how to set this all out. If he was into cars or fishing it would be easy!! Also as I am a learner with Applique, it will help me to learn quickly. Still doing the Sampler quilt, so looks like I am going to join the ranks of folks with UFOs in their cupboards.. I did get some sea type fabric from GM gardens when I went out there on wednesday, so thought that will help with what ever I decide to do! And his sister is muttering about Butterflies, so looks like I will be busy for a while!! Butterflies can wait as she is only 10 years old, meanwhile I will build up a stash of that type of material towards doing her quilt!

RaeM

More
12 years 6 months ago #316560 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Quilting questions?
These may give you some ideas:
Surf Lifesaver logo

Tasmanian Lifesaving Cap colours
Do you know which club he is in?

More
12 years 6 months ago #316665 by Mich
Hi Rae - if you need some 'sand' fabric and can't find any, let me know. I have a decent amount. It has the odd small shell and starfish smattered through it. I had visions of making a seaside-type quilt, but it hasn't progressed past that thought (and probably won't), so the fabric is sitting there.

Cheers, Mich.

More
12 years 6 months ago #316807 by RaeM
Hawkspur thanks a lot for those two sites! I have printed them off, and will be able to use them. Thanks Mich can we have a talk about the material, and and if you can spare some of it, I am willing to organise payment to you for some of it. I did manage to by a 5 fats from GMs which were sea waves, different shades and types, so that will be able to be used as well. It will have to be applique and will take some doing, but because its for a reason, will be easier than trying to do something just for the making of it. I had a chance to go on to a quilting day, but by the time you buy the 16 fats, and then the pattern, it would be quite expensive, and I did not really like the quilts that had been done with the pattern that they were going to use. Its just how I felt about it, and applaude the ones that decided to go ahead and do the days quilting.

RaeM

More
12 years 6 months ago #316808 by Mich
Hiya Rae - of course you can have some of the sand fabric (or all if you need it). I'll put a swatch in the mail tomorrow for you, and if you like it and want to use it, let me know how much you need. Meantime, I'll go measure it, but I think I have well over a metre from memory, so you can choose your size.

PM me with your address again, as I deleted all my PMs recently. :D

Cheers, Mich.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds