Quilting questions?

More
12 years 7 months ago #309245 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Quilting questions?
Grandmothers Garden? I hadn't heard of that place before, many thanks for the post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 7 months ago #309321 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Quilting questions?
Hey there, Swaggie - you'll enjoy GG :D They have a free weekly emailer about what's new instore, and Hazel (the owner) is really into cooking and nearly always has a yummy recipe at the bottom of the email. You can email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and ask to be placed on it. Their website is
www.grandmothersgarden.co.nz

I've always had superb service from them. Lovely bunch of ladies. One of the really nice things for me getting stuff on mailorder is that GG invoice you when they send the goods out. Payment is due in 10 days. For someone whose eyes are bigger than her bank balance, this is a really good thing (I think....:confused:) Last week I was after a drop-dead-gorgeous white-on-white or cream-on-cream fabric as a background fabric. GG sent me 6 delicious FQ on appro so I could decide which one I wanted a bulk amount of. Needless to say I kept all the FQs as well as choosing one of them for my builk background buy.

Another good NZ site to visit online is CountryDawnQuilting. Website is countrydawnquilting.com. I was specially looking for a range of farming type fabrics for a quilt I'm about to make for a friend. They had a very nice and 'different' collection. Again, a very nice lady to deal with.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 7 months ago #309706 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic Quilting questions?
I put Appaloosa Horse Fabric into google, and got some fantastic fabrics come up on the computer, I have a friend that is always getting stuff in from Ebay, so hope that I can get her to bring some in for me, even if you put Western horse Fabric onto google, the array is really great.

RaeM

More
12 years 7 months ago #309770 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Quilting questions?

Mich;293755 wrote: Hey there, Swaggie - you'll enjoy GG :D They have a free weekly emailer about what's new instore, and Hazel (the owner) is really into cooking and nearly always has a yummy recipe at the bottom of the email. You can email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and ask to be placed on it. Their website is
www.grandmothersgarden.co.nz

I've always had superb service from them. Lovely bunch of ladies. One of the really nice things for me getting stuff on mailorder is that GG invoice you when they send the goods out. Payment is due in 10 days. For someone whose eyes are bigger than her bank balance, this is a really good thing (I think....:confused:) Last week I was after a drop-dead-gorgeous white-on-white or cream-on-cream fabric as a background fabric. GG sent me 6 delicious FQ on appro so I could decide which one I wanted a bulk amount of. Needless to say I kept all the FQs as well as choosing one of them for my builk background buy.

Another good NZ site to visit online is CountryDawnQuilting. Website is countrydawnquilting.com. I was specially looking for a range of farming type fabrics for a quilt I'm about to make for a friend. They had a very nice and 'different' collection. Again, a very nice lady to deal with.
Cheers, Mich.

many thanks Mich. I said to SOH the other night that I had heard of a good quilting store in gordonstown and as I knew I had seen the name before, where exactly was it? So SOH said oh yes I go past that shop nearly every night in the truck.... pity he didn't think of telling me before now, knowing my quilting/fabric interest.[}:)]

More
12 years 7 months ago #309785 by Mich
Jeez, Swaggie, :rolleyes: - I can imagine your face when he told you :D

So, Rae, have you gone wild with a credit card ordering fabric from overseas yet? [;)] It never ceases to amaze me how many gazillions of designs there are out there. Imagine if you had storage to burn, a bottomless bank account and all the time in the world to quilt??? I used to feel guilty (well, sometimes still do) about the amount of fabric I've collected over the years. Tried telling myself that a quilter needs a suitably wide pallette of colours, but even that started to wear thin. Now I just own up to loving having lots of it and seeing and touching it all. My "retirement'" or "great financial depression" collection is my latest excuse. I can see Quilter frowning at me. :(

Quilter, if you're still watching this thread - you said you'd been quilting for 25 years. I'll bet there have been a lot of changes in the quilting scene since you started. Would love to hear more about your quilting and quilts.

Cheers, Mich.

More
12 years 7 months ago #309975 by RaeM
My friend gets western saddles from USA, and has an Ebay account, so I forwarded to her the fantastic Appaloosa things that I did find, and she has ordered 2 sets of the horse scenes, for me and one for her, I have promised that I would do something with hers if she brought in a set, these are more like pictures heat applied to calico, or something like that, so would not really be right for a quilt, but should be great on a cushion, I will try to copy the picture and paste it.

RaeM

More
12 years 7 months ago #309976 by RaeM
www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4537002 That is the one that I found, lam looking forward to getting them and seeing what I can do with them, any suggestions are welcome.

RaeM

More
12 years 7 months ago #310017 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Quilting questions?
Add some more fabric and make a purse or bag of some sort?

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
12 years 7 months ago #310060 by RaeM
Thats what I thought they are rather nice, would be great if we know the horses names. Will let you all know when they arrive!

RaeM

More
12 years 7 months ago #310089 by Mich
Rae, they're beautiful horse pics and will look stunning in whatever you decide to do with them. Great find. :D
Cheers, Mich.

More
12 years 7 months ago #310103 by RaeM
Thanks Mich, and Diane, There is other breeds of horses as well, and when we get these ones out in about 25 days, we will think what next we are going to do. My friend is quite excited about getting them, and she said they are great people to deal with. Have a great xmas and new year to all you folks!!

RaeM

More
12 years 7 months ago #312245 by RaeM
Xmas brought me a new daylight light, with a magnifying attachemnt, and new book of quilting blocks, with 365 different blocks in it, the book is called "365 Foundation Quilt blocks", set up with months of the year, and blocks that are in keeping with each season. written by Linda Causee, and published by Sterling Publishing co, New York, also a quilted bag from Australia, with a sewing machine pad, and a roll up with pins, sissors, thimble and tape, plus room for more things, in it, and some of the holders were all crochet, and all done by the mother of my new Son in law to be!! plus a $30 Spotlight voucher. the book has mostly 3 1/2 in blocks, or 7 in blocks, but by enlarging it on the photocopier, I managed to produce one block so far, that is 12 1/2 in. Looks very good.. So hope others had as nice a xmas as I did

RaeM

More
12 years 7 months ago #312362 by Mich
Wow - what a wonderful quilty Christmas you had Rae - that all sounds fantastic. Lucky, lucky.... I'm sure you'll enjoy using all your goodies.
Cheers, Mich.

More
12 years 7 months ago #312486 by RaeM
Mich, I will send you some photos when I get a chance, of the blocks that I have done so far, but I am off today to work at the INhand show grounds, and will be tied up for the next three days with doing the show etc, so no chance at the moment of taking any photos. But its been rather exciting to get these presents, and its so much easier to do the blocks now that I understand the workings of quilting a bit more, Now I need to find a good book on Applique so that I can get to grips with that properly.

RaeM

More
12 years 7 months ago #312575 by Mich
That would be wonderful, Rae - look forward to seeing them very much.

I FINALLY finished all the blocks for my Shakespeare in the Park quilt and am now about to put it all together. Haven't decided whether to have a go at machine quilting it myself using one of the "as you go" methods, or whether to send it out to my very talented long-arm quilter lady, but I'm leaning towards sending it out - spent sooooo much time and effort on this queen-sized quilt that I'd hate to stuff it up. But I'm looking forward to trying to do my own quilting at some point. Straight line quilting isn't a problem, but anything more basic than that gives me the jitters. Apparently it takes a lot of practice, but is really worthwhile if you can nail it.
Cheers, Mich.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds