Quilting questions?

More
12 years 10 months ago #299955 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic Quilting questions?
I have added that to my favourites, and I actually have been in there, its really awsome, looking around there. I called in when I was looking for a new sewing machine, but decided not to buy electronic and their prices were quite high. thanks.

RaeM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago #301734 by RaeM
First night at the night class on tuesday, very interesting, I was not the only first timer, but the other lady does not even own a sewing machine, and is a new comer to NZ, I went out yesterday and brought the material that was suggested for the sample quilt I am going to have a go at. Just as well I had some $$s in my bank account, it cost me $244 to buy the material that was suggested to do the quilt. So it had better turn out looking like a million dollars, and here was me thinking that $125 for a Quilt Kit at the Craft and Qulting show in Hamilton was expensive!! So roll on next tuesday, and we will see how I go with the cutting and measuring required. the sewing will be easy, as I do a lot of sewing, and in fact have just made a very nice skirt, and have material there for making a lovely shirt for wearing. Will keep you all posted on how I go!

RaeM

More
12 years 9 months ago #302364 by RaeM
2nd night tonight, and I made a 9 square block, and it looks really good, so at least I have started. Its going to take a while, but looks like I will be able to manage the work involved, so its going to be fun!

RaeM

More
12 years 9 months ago #302402 by Mich
Replied by Mich on topic Quilting questions?
Oh-oh - sounds like you might be catching the bug Rae. Really glad you're enjoying it.

I'm busy making a gazillion sawtooth stars to go in the Shakespeare in the Park quilt I'm doing with an online group I belong to. Got nearly half of the 84 sawtooth blocks done, then another 20 of the Snails Trail block to go and I'll be ready to put it all together. Don't think I'll ever want to see a half square triangle again after this quilt!
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
12 years 9 months ago #303828 by RaeM
Made another block on tuesday night, but dont know what its called, it had two half squares in each corner, one full square in the middle, and two strips sewn together between the corner squares, very pretty, and finished it on the night, I seem to be able to get the work done each week, feel sorry for one lady who does not own a sewing machine and is hand sewing her work!! Will take photos soon, but have farmstays booked in quite a lot at the moment, so need time to do the photos and then time to work out how to load them onto here.

RaeM

More
12 years 9 months ago #303863 by Mich
Hi Rae - glad the Judy Martin book arrived and that you like it :) Did you see the Shakespeare in the Park quilt? That's what I'm making (for my sins).

Re your block - there are a number of names for it, but the most common is a Churn Dash block. Some might call it an uncomplicated block, but I've seen the most amazing pictures of Churn Dash quilts, including ones using Sharon Craig's "Twist and Turn" technique.

Can't wait to see your pics :p
Cheers, Mich.

More
12 years 9 months ago #303932 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Quilting questions?
Don't give your bernina away, the older ones are worth a fortune and my sewing machine repair man in Aussie couldn't get enough of them to re-sell, the demand for them is that great. he also reckoned they were and are still the best machine ever made.

You can guess I have one, its about 30 years old and I bought the feet after speaking with him about the machine. I was also doing a quilting class in Aussie and I know some of the ladies had very expensive new machines they were not really happy with, so it made my decision easier just to buy the feet. Anyhow that was my experience, but your machine will serve you well as a back up when getting the other serviced etc.

I wouldn't mind buying a quilting machine sometime (the ones that do the finishing and have the rolls each side to take the quilt) if I can ever get the time back to get stuck into it again.

enjoy!

More
12 years 9 months ago #303949 by RaeM
My Bernina is still used for heavy work, like mending the canvas cover for the Spa pool frame, and I also make new covers for the kitchen chairs, but it has never like me sewing light stuff on it, and sort of eating anything light, so now I can sew both types, and will use the machine for the job. thanks for the name for the other block Mich, that good i can put a name to it, what I am doing next week I have sorted out the name and its a log cabin block I think, so will let you all know how I get on with it!!

RaeM

More
12 years 8 months ago #308246 by quilter
Replied by quilter on topic Quilting questions?
Keep the Bernina as a spare they are worth hanging on to, I have a great Bernina service guy and if I shift I will endeavour to keep getting him to service my machine. I have been quilting for 25 years and have stopped buying fabric, the prices are outrageous, I try to recycle fabric from op shops now. Am cutting blocks out of jeans and topping it with mens flannel shirt squares. Makes a nice utility quilt. Am happy to help with any questions.

More
12 years 8 months ago #308488 by max2

RaeM;287710 wrote: My Bernina is still used for heavy work, like mending the canvas cover for the Spa pool frame, and I also make new covers for the kitchen chairs, but it has never like me sewing light stuff on it, and sort of eating anything light, so now I can sew both types, and will use the machine for the job. thanks for the name for the other block Mich, that good i can put a name to it, what I am doing next week I have sorted out the name and its a log cabin block I think, so will let you all know how I get on with it!!

My first (and I reckon my best) quilt was a log cabin design. however my own ended up with a bit of a twist in that my secondary colour on the light side wasn't as light as it should have been, so my quilt which I made for E has little squares within the log cabin design. If you like I will take a photo of it on her bed and post.....

More
12 years 8 months ago #308492 by max2

quilter;292533 wrote: Keep the Bernina as a spare they are worth hanging on to, I have a great Bernina service guy and if I shift I will endeavour to keep getting him to service my machine. I have been quilting for 25 years and have stopped buying fabric, the prices are outrageous, I try to recycle fabric from op shops now. Am cutting blocks out of jeans and topping it with mens flannel shirt squares. Makes a nice utility quilt. Am happy to help with any questions.

yep servicing is so important. My machine was in storage in a shipping container for a few years whilst E was a baby and when I got it out, everything had dried up and it didn't really want to go. My q. teacher recommended the service fellow and he spent a lot of time on it getting it back into condition again. it had been my Mother's machine before she bought a fancier one and gave me the bernina.

it has the best carry case, solid hard plastic so if it falls over in the boot the machine is snug. the repair man said he hadn't seen many of those cases but knew them to be good quality.

More
12 years 8 months ago #309044 by RaeM
Classes have finished for the year, and I have really enjoyed doing them, because of the rules that this govt has put in place, there will be no more classes ( they would only be run if we had Maori members). But our teacher is organising somewhere that we can all meet, and carry on next year, its going to cost a bit, but I think it will be fantastic. When I was buying my original material for the course I brought as my main lot, Hoffman California, Nara Gardens, style F9000, and a few weeks ago I went out to Grandmothers Gardens for a look, and while looking out the back in their workshop area, found some Hoffman Galifornia, Nara Gardens, F9003, the flowers in the two materials of course are the same, and the new lot has also incorporated into it, some wonderful birds that are Crane's so I will basically use that in big blocks as the main part of the quilt that I am making, and incorporate the sample blocks into the quilt. Even our teacher was really impressed at how the two materials look together. So I can see where this two lots of material will work, and look forward to starting to put the whole thing together.

RaeM

More
12 years 8 months ago #309074 by Mich
Hi Rae - quilters always find a way to get together :D I'm smiling - you're really starting to sound like one now [;)] So glad you've enjoyed your classes, but what a bummer that they're not carrying on again next year.

I'm heading up to Auckland before too long to pick up a new ram, and I think a wee detour via Grandmothers Garden might just find its way onto the agenda. [:0]
Cheers, Mich.

More
12 years 8 months ago #309094 by RaeM
Yes its really nice to see Grandmothers garden, have you been there before. I live at the west side of HN so doubt that you will be able to detour this way. But have a great trip and good luck with your new Ram

RaeM

More
12 years 8 months ago #309163 by Mich
Yep - been to GG before, but not since they've done the building extension. I buy online from them all the time and it'll be neat to have a good browse.

Thanks for the good wishes for the trip - gonna be a real fast up and down in 2 days one, but it'll be nice to see something other than the road to and from work/supermarket/home, which is the treadmill I've been on for months and months :)
Cheers, Mich.

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds