Dog jacket and other ideas...

More
12 years 11 months ago #18763 by DiDi
Does anyone on here have a pattern for a good dog jacket and a sweater pattern that I could sew? I have looked on the internet but they aren't really what I want and have already made the free pattern ones. This is for my poodleX and my daughters Chinese Hairless Crested.

I realise this is a bit cheeky but I'm not keen to pay $16 for the weird ones they have in the pattern books.

The reason I need them is that my girl has short legs and when out on the farm with me in the wet and rain, she gets soaked over all her legs and belly. I'd like to keep her warm and have enough jackets to change regularly. Does that make any sense. P.S - she is white mainly and it is a total pain to leave her uncovered. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #277828 by Waffling Milk Maid
I had a customer who had her girl (standard poodle) with a close-fitting polar-fleece sweater-type thing (pull on over the head, and put legs through the holes, and covered the belly) that was simply two bits of polar fleece, the right shape, sewn together. I don't have a pattern cos it'd depend on the shape of your dog (poodles have a deep chest and high 'tuck up' compared to many breeds) but it wouldn't be hard to design one for them.

Can you get the dog to lay on it's side on a (big) bit of paper if you're *really* having trouble getting the general shape? You can draw around it from neck, the chest line and up to the belly. make it too big, cut out two and sew 'em together, cut out 'arm' holes and try it on! lol. Made from a single layer of polar fleece you can always take it in/let it out until it fits well all around, and then use it as a base to make a pattenr from for more. Double up the polar fleece/pad it for warmer ones etc, or keep it single layer for quick easy layer to remove after running on the farm! lol.

Owned by a standard poodle, a couple of burmese cats, a miniature horse, & a budgie.
Also proud mum to Caleb and Piper

More
12 years 11 months ago #279036 by kaponga
Would this be close to what you are looking for? I've got no idea how it ended up in my sewing box - I inherited it with something else I guess. Anyway, if its what you want, let me know.

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/260074=2677-dog pattern.jpg[/img]

More
12 years 11 months ago #279074 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Dog jacket and other ideas...
Thanks kaponga - will PM you.

More
10 years 1 month ago #424934 by SheSews
There is a good special on mail order sewing patterns at www.patternpostie.co.nz they have some nice dog coats.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425019 by Organix
We've had a couple of customers buy our stretch fleece fabric for dog garment making, including for "dog diapers" :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 1 month ago #425020 by 4trees
Hi Di Di,Would a lamb jacket fit, maybe a little alteration needed but they are so warm, and freely available so you could change them. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
10 years 1 month ago #425021 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Dog jacket and other ideas...
Yes, I bought some felted lamb jackets in wrightsons and gave them to a friend for their dog and they lasted well thru winter and stopped the dog shivering

More
10 years 1 month ago #425031 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Dog jacket and other ideas...
Wow - this is out of left field in terms of time. I did find a pattern on the Web ( or was it Kaponga's pattern) and altered to suit both dogs. Life has moved on and I no longer have the wee Chinese boy (but he is still wearing the clothes I made him when I was last babysitting) and my Poodle X has moved to urbanville with me so not getting wet running through paddocks etc. She has a raincoat (sorry can't remember brand and not used so far this year) so not being natural sewer, am quite relieved. Amazingly frustrating to get it right for such different shapes. Thank you for thinking of them SheSews.

No doubt 4trees and muri, she would have loved a wool jacket but not needed now. Thanks.

More
10 years 1 month ago #425057 by belinda_h
Wow, awesome website shesews. I may be spending some time browsing that one!

More
10 years 1 month ago #425085 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Dog jacket and other ideas...

SheSews;422718 wrote: There is a good special on mail order sewing patterns at www.patternpostie.co.nz they have some nice dog coats.

great site, reminds me I really must start working through the ottoman full of fabric that I have.....
Now can some one tell me what I must have had in mind when I bought a lot of shiney stretch pvc and matt stretch pvc? Or even any use for it that can be seen in public?

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds