what kinds of crafts do you do?

More
14 years 9 months ago #18364 by Kiwi.n.koala
hello every one, we are very new to the forum and have enjoyed and learnt quite a bit in the short space of time, (the wonman half my name is michelle) I love crafts and was really hesitant to ask if there are other crafts besides the natural knitting and weaving types so I thought is would be a good way to get to know a few of you so i guess I start with, crafts / hobbies and they are beading and cross stitch and a bit of card making and then the one me and husband share is rock hounding and cutting up and polishing our own stones, I am planning alsorts of gardens at the moment from herb to orchard and veg and flower beds ... you guessed it a blank canvas so to speak. and there will be hunk of stone between the flowers to fill in spaces and reflect our interest,. Looking forward to hearing about others interests .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #272416 by eelcat
Welcome - there are all sorts of us here - you'll learn heaps and get some great ideas. I'm about to start knitting again (for the winter) and next year we hope to spin some of our (sheeps') wool. At some stage I want to do some felting but there is always so much to do.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

• Toni - Northland
14 years 9 months ago #272431 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic what kinds of crafts do you do?
Do you use a tumbler to polish the stones? My father used to find rocks and made himself a rock tumbler. He made necklaces. I have been thinking I would love to have a go at this and wondered if the tumblers you can get from the Warehouse are any good? And also where do you buy the things that glue on the top of the stone for the chain to go through, I have looked everywhere as I have some that haven't been finished.

Crafts I do now are quilting, scrapbooking and I also want to get back into knitting.

More
14 years 9 months ago #272448 by BillyTheTractor
Toni, you can get the bits for a chain to go through at Whangarei Spotlight sometimes. Also have a look here
www.beadaholic.co.nz/shop/Findings/Bails.html
they might have something
www.kiwibeads.co.nz/webapps/site/64961/7...d=&find_groupid=8050
or this?

I love sewing and knitting (badly)

Wee Farm

More
14 years 9 months ago #272472 by digby
I love to crochet and felt. but also do cross stitch knitting and sewing

Bye
Digby [:)]

More
14 years 9 months ago #272479 by Kiwi.n.koala
Hi Toni, yes we do use tumblers you can make them I know a guy who uses a drum! bit big for us however we have brought ours and the only advise is buy more or bigger than you think it would take a lump of jasper about 8 weeks to become a polished stone if agate then much longer depends on the hardness of the rock quartz is fast and greenstone needs to be watched and never put with anything else..... now I am rambling. I do use beadaholic alot they sell lots of findings (metal bits to clip it all together,) glue.... well I have been know to use super glue but there are rock glues as well what ever works best for you. I will start ablog and put a few up at some stage.

More
14 years 9 months ago #272481 by Kiwi.n.koala
hello digby and billy the t and eelcat I can knit but am left handed and find it comes out backwards to the right hand way....but sadly can only sew net curtains anything else is beyond me and did mange to totally break every sewing machine in my high school before they let me give up!! I loveeeeeee cooking (all sorts from baking to preserves ) but that might come from necessity I like good food!

More
14 years 9 months ago #272497 by BillyTheTractor
I'm left handed too and never even thought about that!
When I was at school I hated sewing - I put that down to a odd teacher - but for about the last 5 years I've really got into it.

Wee Farm

More
14 years 9 months ago #272554 by NZ Appaloosas
I love to crochet, but hubby's managed to misplace my yarn, just as I find my hook, which I had misplaced...I also enjoy latch-hooking, but haven't done much lately. I do have an eagle latchhook rug to finish.

Back stateside, I also used to make suncatchers, both the 'melted bead' and the painted ones (painted ones are easier LOL). I also used to make shadowboxes and have done some stencilling in my life.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

• Toni - Northland
14 years 9 months ago #272581 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic what kinds of crafts do you do?
kiwi.n.koala see thread, 'I will get it finished one day'. One of my UFO's I am trying to get done, have a cupboard full more to do too.[:I]

More
14 years 9 months ago #272689 by Xartep
I crochet but never really got the hang of knitting, am also left handed and remember my mum teaching me in front of the big dressing table mirror cause I just couldn't see how it worked any other way[;)]
Have the intention to do some felting sometime soon...

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 9 months ago #272989 by Prim
I'm a leftie too; I knit right-handed and have recently thought about going back to crochet. I have hook, yarn and pattern all ready. Do you know what? I can't for the life of me work out if I'm left- or right- handed when I picked up the hook. It is annoying the heck out of me. I used to be quite good, now I feel like a complete and utter novice (and failure). :(

More
14 years 9 months ago #273119 by Xartep
I always thought that crochet was one of those things like riding a bike "once you know how you never forget" LOL you will work it out, I can crochet with both hands, which is handee teaching the wee one, but much faster and comfortable with the left.[;)]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 9 months ago #273121 by Xartep
Remember, we live in a right handed world, so our 1st instinct is to go right as we have been brainwashed.

I have a friend who has a left handed corkscrew, it really $%^&* with your mind even with being lefthanded!!!

More
14 years 9 months ago #273131 by Kiwi.n.koala
hello Xartep and prim My mother used to sit on my shoulder and try and knit like me to help me she gave up and a really good knitter got me going later in life.... never tried to crochet....decided it was a to bigger ask of anyone.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds