Making gifts for Christmas

More
13 years 3 months ago #356416 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Making gifts for Christmas

Xartep;346696 wrote: Its a bumper year for elders this year. Looking forward to berry season, so I can pick heaps and make wine :D :D . And a bottle of cold syrup[;)]

Eelcat do you use hot or cold water in the Rhurbarb champs recipe.?

From memory, hot.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #356706 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Making gifts for Christmas
Just made 7 jars of pickled onions, might have to put together some picnic baskets as gifts.

Kingsmeade cheeses, Quince chutney, pickled onions, elderflower champs, crackers, mini meringues or fudge/truffles etc...

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 3 months ago #356761 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Making gifts for Christmas

Xartep;347039 wrote: Just made 7 jars of pickled onions, might have to put together some picnic baskets as gifts.

Kingsmeade cheeses, Quince chutney, pickled onions, elderflower champs, crackers, mini meringues or fudge/truffles etc...

I know where you could get some really nice chutneys :D

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
13 years 3 months ago #356769 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic Making gifts for Christmas

eelcat;347097 wrote: I know where you could get some really nice chutneys :D

LOL

The only thing on my list that I don't make is the cheese.[;)]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
13 years 3 months ago #356773 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Making gifts for Christmas

Xartep;346696 wrote:
Eelcat do you use hot or cold water in the Rhurbarb champs recipe.?

i always just use cold water.

More
13 years 2 months ago #357862 by Jenna
Replied by Jenna on topic Making gifts for Christmas
I'm planning on making a good supply of elderflower champagne and cordial - off to gather some flowers this weekend.

As for gifts, my family are all getting the same thing: I'm making red vinyl covered flip top recipe boxes for everyone. I've asked everyone top tell me their current favourite recipe and their favourite ingredient. Each of the fave recipes will be in each box and each box will have recipe cards with a clipart of the fave ingredient in the top corners to personalize them (along with a felt tip pen of the right colour for their picture - to save on my colour ink cartridges lol)

So for example, my sister will get a box with cut lime pics on the cards, and each other family member's fave recipes already in her box.

They're all curious about why i want their recipes and ingredients lol - makes it so fun!

More
13 years 2 months ago #357896 by Savayla
Replied by Savayla on topic Making gifts for Christmas
My family is all overseas, which makes it a wee more difficult in terms of making presents, due to postage.

This year and last , my girls needle felted their gifts for their cousins. This year one made their cousin an embroidered felt pin cushion, and the other an embroidered felt needle case, and I stuck in some pins and needles, and some embroidery thread and pieces of felt, with a few photostatted pages of things to make.

More
13 years 2 months ago #357917 by blimeyvicki
I have made rhubarb champagne, grapefruit cordial and some feta which I cubes and put into jars with Rosemary, garlic and sunflower oil. They look fab and I got the preserving jars cheap from the red shed, 3 for $5. I am going to make some stained glass window cookies, Ginger bread men. I want to make some bird feeders for the gardens. Halve a fence paling and drill some large holes half way thru, stuff them with lard melted and mixed with various bird seed etc. Drill some twigs or dowel all the way guru for perches. Put a hook in the top and hang it from a tree. Good for tuis in the townie gardens I hope. Home made vanilla extract. Make up a basket of various things, maybe put some eggs in. Most of my family are townies so I am hoping they will appreciate it :)

More
13 years 2 months ago #357919 by blimeyvicki
This sounds like an awesome project. I would love to see a photo of that when ur finished.

Jenna;348329 wrote: I'm planning on making a good supply of elderflower champagne and cordial - off to gather some flowers this weekend.

As for gifts, my family are all getting the same thing: I'm making red vinyl covered flip top recipe boxes for everyone. I've asked everyone top tell me their current favourite recipe and their favourite ingredient. Each of the fave recipes will be in each box and each box will have recipe cards with a clipart of the fave ingredient in the top corners to personalize them (along with a felt tip pen of the right colour for their picture - to save on my colour ink cartridges lol)

So for example, my sister will get a box with cut lime pics on the cards, and each other family member's fave recipes already in her box.

They're all curious about why i want their recipes and ingredients lol - makes it so fun!

More
13 years 2 months ago #357929 by Jenna
Replied by Jenna on topic Making gifts for Christmas

blimeyvicki;348393 wrote: This sounds like an awesome project. I would love to see a photo of that when ur finished.

:D Thanks! Will post a pic as soon as the first is done

More
13 years 2 months ago #357939 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Making gifts for Christmas
just read through all the neat ideas and about the Christmas cake. I make the Alison Holst one too. It's a never fail (even when you don't cream the butter and sugar but just melt it together!) I add a few extras if I have them, like the end of a pot of jam, or some different dried fruits or slivered almonds.

I also cook it in a an old square biscuit tin I brought from the UK-40 years ago. Then I know it fits, so I just peel off the cooking paper, re wrap and put it back in the tin with the lid on to keep-yeah right!
We've half eaten the first so must make another!

Somebody told me they put the Christmas cake mix in those big Texas size muffin tins and cook, thenfreeze, or ice/decorate with glace fruit and give away as mini Christmas cake presents.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
13 years 2 months ago #358051 by gemini kiwi
I ordered some adorable beads from Ebay they arrived this morning and the top part of the bead is missing, grrrrr ........so that is me screwed with my finishing touches to all my hand made gifts. How slack not to check all 3 parts were in the package before posting to the other side of the world.......
Tess.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds