2t cinnamon
1t ground cloves
1t nutmeg
1 orange, rind and juice
1t vanilla
1t almond essence
6 eggs
0.5t baking soda

I don't bother washing the fruit as she suggests but just empty it out of the pack. Measure or weigh the flour into a bowl then mix about half of it with the fruit.
Cream the butter and sugar until light coloured. Add the spices grated orange rind and essences.
Add about a tablespoon of the meausred flour and then an egg. Beat. Add a little more flour then an egg until all eggs have been beaten in. Then stir in the remaining flour, add the orange juice (about 1/4 cup) and the baking powder dissolved in a tablespoon of water. Combine the creamed mix and the floured dried fuit. Stir thoroughly to mix evenly. Spread mixture into a 23cm (9 inch) tin lined with greaseproof paper. Level the surface (wet your hand) leaving a slight indentation in the centre.

Bake at 150 deg C (300F) for 1 and 1/2 hours and then 140 deg C (275 F) for 1 and 1/2 hours longer or until a skewer in the middle of the cake comes out clean. If desired pour 2-3 T of brandy whisky or rum over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.

Note: I have made this for many many years with no failures. It is even fine to make on Christmas Eve, providing you add the brandy!!!! It also multiplies up really well - I made it to fit a 12 inch tin for our wedding three years ago and it worked perfectly. I also used her 3 egg cake recipe before the children learned that they too liked Christmas cake!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #237943 by The Kats Place
Cheers for that thanks.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
15 years 3 months ago #238028 by railview
Replied by railview on topic Making gifts for Christmas
eelcat, would you make the cake now or wait until early December ?

More
15 years 3 months ago #238032 by jeannielea
I just visited a friend who made her Christmas cake about Labour Weekend (not the AH recipe) and she has it wrapped but opens it to pour whisky over the top once a week!! So the earlier you start the better it is!!

More
15 years 3 months ago #238211 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Making gifts for Christmas

railview;214873 wrote: eelcat, would you make the cake now or wait until early December ?

If I was organised I would have made it by about the 11 November and then as J suggests I would add brandy to it periodically. However, this is not a perfect world and I haven't made it yet. Sometime between now and Xmas Eve I will make it, the sooner the better but I know from experience that even if I leave it to the last minute it will still be good.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
15 years 3 months ago #238213 by railview
How would you store the cake (box ?) and do you have to poke holes in the cake before pouring alcohol ?

More
15 years 3 months ago #238272 by jeannielea
I personally do the old fashioned thing and wrap in paper plain for the first layer then whole newspaper.
. But I haven't done the alcohol thing. My friend had hers in plain paper, then a layer of foil, all in a tupperware cake box. And no she just dribbles the whisky over the top.

More
15 years 3 months ago #238390 by Celtic_Kiwi
K, I just boiled up some syrup and made some gorse flower coridal.

Will tell you tomorrow how it tastes.

Celtic_Kiwi
AKA Nikki

Tir Na NOg

More
15 years 3 months ago #238443 by eelcat

railview;215069 wrote: How would you store the cake (box ?) and do you have to poke holes in the cake before pouring alcohol ?

I prefer to use a proper old fashioned metal cake tin with a lid, though if the cake is very large I use a tupperware type of box. IN either case I don't wrap it. I don't poke holes, just pour it on the top. The smell when you do this when the cake is just out of the oven is divine!

More
15 years 3 months ago #238528 by railview
Thanks for the tips. :)

eelcat, did you by any chance try her fruit cake with pineapple in it ?

More
15 years 3 months ago #238529 by eelcat

railview;215408 wrote: Thanks for the tips. :)

eelcat, did you by any chance try her fruit cake with pineapple in it ?

no, that's the only one of her cakes that I didn't try but my grandmother used to make it from time to time.

More
15 years 3 months ago #238653 by jeannielea
I've made that in the past and really like it but couldn't find the recipe this year. Probably on the internet though.

More
15 years 3 months ago #238663 by eelcat

jeannielea;215542 wrote: I've made that in the past and really like it but couldn't find the recipe this year. Probably on the internet though.

Will post in a few minutes

More
15 years 3 months ago #238666 by eelcat
Makes 1 23cm cake, 2 18cm cakes or 12 mini 10cm cakes.
1.5kg mixed fruit
450g can pineapple
3 cups flour
1t each cinnamon and mixed spice
1/2t ground cloves
225g butter
1 cup sugar
1/2t each vanilla, almond and lemon essences
6 large eggs
up to 1 extra cup of flour
about 50g of glace cherries and 50g blanched almonds for decoration
Two or three days before mixing the cake, put the mixed fruit in a large unperforated (doh!) oven bag or plastic bag with the undrained pineapple. Leave in a warm place turing the bag occasionally, until all the juice is absorbed.
Note: to make the cake immediately discard the liquid from the pineapple. Wash then dry fruit the same day that you mix the cake. You are unlikely to need the extra flour.

Mix the spices with 3 cups of flour and put aside. Cream the butter, sugar and essences until light and smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, adding about 2T of the spiced flour with each egg. Toss together the prepared fruit and the remaining spiced flour in a large bowl or a roasting pan. Stir in the creamed mixture using a wooden spoon or your hand.

Mixture should be just soft enough ot drop from your hand. If it seems too soft add more flour. Press mixture into paper lined tin(s), levelling the top(s).

Decorate with blanched almonds if you do not plan to ice the cake.

Bake 23cm cake at 150C for 1 1/2 hours then at 130C for about 2 hours longer.
Bake 18cm cakes at 140C for 1 hour then at 130C for about an hour longer.
Bake mini cakes (225-250g) each at 130C for about 1 1/2 hours (Use paper lined well cleaned fish cans.)

Cakes are cooked when a skewer pushed to base of the middle of the cake comes out clean. Sprinkle hot cake with about 1/4 cup brandy or sherry, if you like. Remove cake(s) from tin(s) when cold.

More
15 years 3 months ago #238977 by railview
Baked the fruit cake yesterday (the one with the orange). Made 2 16cm cake. Took ages to bake, maybe because it was so high (9cm). The next time I might split it to 3 tins.

Don't have a container high enough so I have wrapped it in newspaper and put it in a beer box. Can't wait for xmas to try it out. :)

Thanks for the recipe and all the tips.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds