Cleaning leaves

More
15 years 8 months ago #15171 by George
Cleaning leaves was created by George
I have some leaf skeletons which I want to use for making cards. They have bits of dirt on them and I would like to clean them up before using them.

I have cleaned a couple by soaking them in a bit of bleach and water and they come up really nicely. However, I would like to clean the rest without using bleach if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good way to do this? Is there something else I could use to soak them in. I can't really scrub them as they are too delicate.

Thanks.

George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 8 months ago #231060 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Cleaning leaves
Would just warm soapy water do it, do you think? I would be concerned that the bleach would weaken the skeleton. But then, if they're for cards that you're giving reasonably quickly (ie not sitting around) perhaps it wouldn't matter if you did use the bleach?

Sorry, not much help!

I love seeing pictures of what others are doing, though :)

ETA : I never seem to find the time to do much of anything. I try to scrapbook! Irregularly.

More
15 years 8 months ago #231115 by George
Replied by George on topic Cleaning leaves
Thanks for the suggestion but I tried warm soapy water first. It did loosen the dirt but it still needed scrubbing to get it off and they are too delicate for that. The bleach doesn't seem to weaken the leaves too much initially - they are still ok to handle but I am not sure how long they would last. I might look at sealing them with something or maybe spray painting them anyway in the future.

I am going to use bleach for now and see how they handle, but I would rather use something else if possible.

I know what you mean about not having the time to do it! My problem at the moment is more lack of space than lack of time but I intend to get out the card making stuff tomorrow anyway.

More
15 years 8 months ago #231434 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Cleaning leaves
Perhaps one of the oxygen bleach products will work. I get the eco store one from New World. Its a very gentle product but with no chemical nasties and works well on clothes for stains etc. so might do the trick.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds