Framing embroidery

More
14 years 2 months ago #11991 by jeannielea
I have just finished a crosstitch birth chart for my grandaughter and normally frame things myself but this one is bigger and the edge of the canvas only just reaches the edge of the frame. I don't want to use a mat, so can I add a bit of material to the ends to make it longer? If so, what sort of seam do I use so its flat? Any suggestions would be appreciated .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #185726 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Framing embroidery
Smaller frame? Or maybe you could add a patchwork style fabric frame in a fairly sturdy fabric that will complement the cross stitch.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

• chooky
14 years 2 months ago #185737 by chooky
Replied by chooky on topic Framing embroidery
Perhaps the ladies at your local craft supplies shop may have some creative ideas. :)

More
14 years 2 months ago #188751 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Framing embroidery
Get a carboard border for the frame, you can buy them or make them if you have the skill. then use a bit of carboard slightly smaller than the frame to stretch the fabric over, the fabric only needs to overlap the cardboard by about 1 cm. To stretch, just sew each edge of the fabric to the opposite edge of fabric.

More
14 years 2 months ago #188819 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Framing embroidery
I didn't want to use the card frame or mat because there is a line of stitching forming a frame already. But asked some friends and they recommended sewing calico onto the edges where needed using the straight of the calico. So I did it yesterday and am happy with the result though the stretching was a pain to get straight! Just hope the granddaughter likes it now!

More
14 years 2 months ago #189961 by kcouper
Replied by kcouper on topic Framing embroidery
Are you able to post a photo jeannielea? It sounds lovely.

More
14 years 1 month ago #192279 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Framing embroidery
Finally managed to learned how to post a photo. Not beautiful but definitely cute - just like my my granddaughter

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds