Milk jug covers - crochet with beads

More
14 years 3 months ago #11876 by NancyF
does anyone have a pattern for these??? I know they are awful old-fashioned [:I]but I have an urge to make some... saw them in a book in spotlight but didn't want to buy the whole book just for one pattern... it also had one that had little tassles on the corners .. very cute...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #184005 by skysong
I might have a couple of patterns that I could get copied and post to you. PM me if you are still keen
Daphne

• Toni - Northland
14 years 3 months ago #184006 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Milk jug covers - crochet with beads
My God, they are so hard to find these days. I got some a couple of years ago at a Dargaville field days off one of the old lady stalls there. My mother used to have them and I just love them.

More
14 years 3 months ago #184048 by BillyTheTractor
I use them, I get wee crochet doilies from TM and second hand shops for virtually nothing then sew on beads or shells for weights - invaluable in the summer.
megan.kiwi.gen.nz/BowlCoverSquare/

and click on the PDF format in blue near the top - there is a pattern

crochet.about.com/od/doilies/Doily_Free_Patterns.htm

and loads here

Wee Farm

More
14 years 3 months ago #184123 by The Kats Place
My gran used to make them, sadly she is gone now and didn't pass the skill on to any of us. I guess we wouldn't have been interested at the time. She used to crochet baby booties too, they never slipped off like knitted ones do.

She started with a circle of 'net' or tulle and did a chain type stitch looping back onto itself ins crochet cotton and the beads were threaded on that. She whipped them up in no time and we all got them as part of our christmas present.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 3 months ago #184139 by NancyF
flippen heck.. [:0][:0]I think I've overestimated my crochet ability.. these instructions look really hard..:(might have to try the 'buy an existing doiley and sew things on' school of thought... will need to sit down with an expert we have in the craft group and see how I go....thanks :) everyone...

More
14 years 3 months ago #184253 by jeannielea
Make some a bit bigger too and they are handy for cakes cooling on the bench or any other plates of food - I often use a teatowel but this is better. Also what about those squares that can cover a table or at least the centre part. Handy for BBQs when things can be set out early enough for us girls to join in the drinkies that the men are having while cooking! Great idea to buy the doilies and add beads etc too.

More
14 years 3 months ago #184263 by skysong
Jug covers make great Xmas gifts. I have made a lot by cutting a circle from lace curtain net, crocheting round the edge for 2 or 3 rounds and working the beads on as you work the last row. Simple and easy and it looks quite effective. I have sold dozens over the years, all made like that. I found the totally crocheted ones are quite heavy.

More
14 years 3 months ago #184327 by The Kats Place
Where do you live skysong - do you feel like giving a lesson?

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 3 months ago #184692 by Dream Weaver
OMG!!! I had forgotten them. They remind me of my Nana she always used them.

More
14 years 3 months ago #184800 by skysong
I'm way down in Geraldine. The pattern I use is one I made up myself, mainly because I couldn't find what I wanted, so in the best of DIY tradition LOL, I invented one for myself. Its quite pretty especially once you put the beads on. I could hunt out the instructions, i even thought to write them down, LOL, and maybe email them to anyone who wanted them if thats any help?

More
14 years 3 months ago #184836 by The Kats Place
that would be great, thanks skysong

kats

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds